Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: The Tiny House

Default The Tiny House

For some time now I have been planning a new building, which will become our house for at least a short while. I have now collected enough Sagar machinery to build it entirely using machinery of their name. The wood will be Japanese Larch, grown locally, to make a mortice and tenoned traditional timber frame based on 5" by 5" stuff.
    Here is the design i have in mind:

P1040619.jpg

The footprint will be 18' by 10', with the second floor being 20' by 12', overhanging the first floor all round, and having an external extension to create a balcony of a further 4' in length. As it says in the title, it will be Tiny!

Quite a few of my Sagar machines have been in storage a couple of miles away, as i don't yet have a proper workshop built here either (that will be next). I do have 3 phase here, albeit through a converter, and i will bring the machines i need for this project home and set them down and put a little 'hat' over them for this summer, hopefully they will be ok, i will have to keep them well oiled in anticipation of the Welsh summer.

I brought the first load home today, and will be unloading them to their new temporary site tomorrow. Here are a few pics on the trailer, i found room on this load for a milling machine too:

P1040616.JPG P1040615.JPG

P1040612.JPG P1040613.JPG P1040614.JPG

P1040610.JPG P1040611.JPG P1040609.JPG

The Victoria mill is a very recent acquisition, destined for the little engineering shop to help with a few repairs needed on some of the Sagars. Hopefuly i will be able to bring the rest of the machines recquired for this project home next weekend.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

So the shed will be bigger than the house? Looks like a great little project though.
    anne-maria.
    T
    ea Lady

(White with none)
    Follow my little workshop/gallery on facebook. things of clay and wood.

So,
    A traditional style home built with traditional machines sounds like fun
    cheers pat

A traditional style home with traditional machines is about my idea i think, i have got a bit carried away with the design, which isn't quite 'complete' in the drawing above, it is also to include a little porch which i haven't finished adding to he drawings properly yet. The idea was to include as many traditional features as possible in as small a building as i could.

The point of this thread for me is just to show a few of the Sagar machines i have managed to collect so far, finally being brought together to produce something, albeit in a very temporary setup. I have been collecting machinery by J. Sagar since 2004, and working towards the hope that i will one day be able to complete all of my work using their fine machines. I know there are many other great and perhaps greater marques out there to be collected but i have at least learned that it's not possible to run a lone mission to save and collect everything and J. Sagar will do just fine for me. The idea of a one make workshop has been my goal for some time now and i could claim to be nearly there; i just need to build the workshop, on our own place.

I've seen some of your machines, very nice. If they were mine (can only dream) I too would use them as much as possible
    As I work in a sawmill I gotta say that rope feed bench intrigues me
    cheers pat

Hi Sion,

A grand design .... perhaps give them a call?

Are you going to post your progress as you go along on here?

Default Grand Designs

Quote Originally Posted by faceman View Post
    Hi Sion,

A grand design .... perhaps give them a call?

Are you going to post your progress as you go along on here?
    I'm still bringing machines home at the moment, should all be back here by the end of this weekend hopefully.
    I don't think Kevin McCloud and i would get on too well...

Hi Sion,
    I like the design for the workshop, I see that you even managed to fit a house in!!

Looks great,.
    The fact that you are going to be able to build it using your collection of heritage machines is even better.
    I noticed the boat in one of the pics. Another project?

Have fun,
    Alli