Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Coat rack mounting

I have made a 1250mm coat rack and want to mount it without visible screws, I wondered if using these picture rails would work or not. ?

http://www.bunnings.com.au/zenith-60...frame_p3930446
    wine and wood
    ahhhh yes life is good

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

It is difficult to see the product in detail but I assume that it is an aluminium French cleat arrangement. If this is true then it would be a good choice for your project.

Replying to a similar post a few weeks ago (https://www.woodworkforums.com/f11/advice-sought-huon-pine-guitar-rack-183506) I posted a link to this product: http://www.rsjcrisp.com.au/product.html and the original poster seems to have contacted the business and purchased the product. I have no connection with the product or the business and only initially posted the link as it came up under a generic google search to illustrate the type of product I was referring to ...... but it seems to be better value than the Bunnings alternative.
    Now proudly sponsored by Binford Tools. Be sure to check out the Binford 6100 - available now at any good tool retailer.

Speaking a bit from ignorance here as I haven't seen what you have made, but one older trick for mounting coat racks etc was to arrange the hooks on the rack so a couple have studs behind them, screw the rack to those studs directly then hide the screw heads by placing the hooks over the screw heads. Have seen articles where this is done with hooks using exposed mounting screws generally similar to these in regard to mounting, and also units using a peg in a hole style hooks, where the depth of the mounting holes is about half the thickness of the rack beam and the mounting screws enter the studs from the mounting hole, and are hidden by the pegs once they are set.

It's possible that both concepts won't work for you because you are doing something different, the spacings you have used won't coincide with studs, or you have the unit assembled permanently and finished so can't hide screws in peg holes.
    I used to be an engineer, I'm not an engineer any more, but on the really good days I can remember when I was.

Default Key Hole Hangers

Not having seen what you are trying to put up, but depending on the weight that you are going to put on it, you may care to consider by using a forstner bit to drill the correct size hole and screwing key hole hangers into the back of the rack and then attaching the rack to the wall by screws into a stud or using hollow wall plugs.
    By doing this one will not see the screws fixing it to the wall and it will look quite good.
    It all takes a bit of time but is worth it.
    I have personally used this method on several occasions with success.
    Happy hanging

Router

I'd be putting these on the back of the rack, http://www.bunnings.com.au/framing-k...72114_p3930072.
    The ones I get are not usually this shape but a straight strip with the keyhole in the middle.
    You drill a 1/4 inch hole behind the keyhole and mount them.
    Then to mount put 2 round-head screws into the wall and the coat-rack slips over screw-heads and slides down to lock against the wall.
    You don't see anything and its firm.

I do what malb suggests.

Work out where your studs are, and fit coat hooks over the fixing screws.
    If the studs are not where you want, likely on shorter coat racks, hide the mounting screws behind a couple of coat hooks.