Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default The Road Grader.

Another pattern from Toys & Joys. After the excellent response the Scraper achieved, there is really only one thing to do.Build another one.First is a mock up of the bits, next, the base for the engine block & couple of what will be toolbox's. Engine block & the base for the grill.Then we have the axle block with two suspension walking beam's & the cab floor.Cheer's Jim.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

crowie is offline Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

Default Front row seat.....

Wow Jim, You sure aren't wasting any time with getting into this new project.......Loved the scrapper so got enjoy this one... Cheers, crowie

Watching and learning. Thanks

Default The Road Grader

PLD, thanks, but after checking out your Speedster it is I who should be learning off you.Regard's Jim.

Default The Road Grader.

Not a lot happened in the shed today as the lawn needed mowing & one must get their priority's right.The silver ash & the rosewood will be the grill that you actually see. The dark timber as the surround & both colour's horizontally for the centre section.They will be cut down to 1/8" & 3/16" in width. Next pic is front & rear cab panel's & both side panel's.Cheer's Jim.

Default The Road Grader.

Today's effort is before & after photo's of the upper & lower platforms for the blade turning attachment. Most large part's on the T/J s plans can be drawn straight to the timber but with the smaller complicated parts, I find the cut & paste method is superior. Next is the fuel tank which will mount behind the cab & then is the cab roof. Then we have the main support for the front suspension & blade assembly. It alone is 17 1/2" long.Cheer's Jim.

crowie is offline Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

You're really getting this project moving Jim.....keep the photos coming, thank you. cheers crowie

Default The Road Grader.

We are now getting to smaller time consuming parts of this build. The lower bar connects from the steering back to the blade assembly.Next we have the upper & lower hydraulic cylinder mounts & last is the two blade mount's & the pivot block for the lower bar.Regard's Jim.

Thumbs up

Looking good Jim!!! Your parts are very precisely cut!!!

What timber/s are you using?

Default The Road Grader

Artme,Thanks for the complements, apart from the two timber's for the grill surround it is all Australian red cedarCheer's Jim

You are doing a great job. Looks like fun. I have not built a T&J model yet, but have the plans for one waiting on me. I have a kaleidoscope to do first. Just started on it.

Default The Road Grader.

This is a brilliant little jig for drilling the dowel's to make the hydraulic ram's, I can't claim it as it is a t/j's idea. Next we have the grader blade & the two support bracket's.Last is the three ram's to control the blade.Cheer's Jim.

Those rams would be easy to drill on the a lathe also if you have the set up for it. Yours look nice and the blade really came out nice also.

Default The Road Grader.

PLD, no lathe & no experience on one. The block of timber will have to suffice. Here we have the ram's again with cylinder holder's fitted. Next two are the steering mechanism in bit's & then assembled. Two hydraulic hose cover's which will fit over the main support ?Now we get into the wheel's. For anybody that maybe interested I will try & give a brief idea of how they are made. There are six wheel's 3-5/8" diameter& 1-1/2" wide with a 5/16" hole for the axle. They are made in two halves, I cant cut a perfect circle on my bandsaw at 3-5/8" so I mark them at 3-3/4" & cut out the line & then put them on the jig you see here. Two at a time with 80 grit on the sander will bring them back to the correct size. The pair's will stay together for the build as the tread's are cut at different angle's for both halves. You might see I have cut seven pair's, six for the grader & a pair for Justin. Cheer's Jim.

After all these years I have come to the conclusion that there is a Justin in every workshop
    The person who never made a mistake never made anything

Cheers
    Ray

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast