Default CNC Mill Console using Pokeys USB Interface

As some will know I have built a number of different types of consoles and am currently building a new one for my CNC converted X3 mill.
    There is a tutorial thread here that shows how to do this if anyone is interested. I would have liked to have tacked it onto the end of this but the threads expire after 365 days of inactivity.

The first picture is the current console which has the computer inside the case and I have used two Hagstrom key emulators to provide the linking of switches to Mach3 commands. The problem with it is it occupies floor space and that is becoming a premium in my clean room.

The solution is to build a console hinged of the side of the enclosure and therefore not taking up any additional floor space. Photos two and three show the sheet metal carcase hinged from the end of the X3 enclosure. Nutserts have been used to attached the fascia. A shelf for the keyboard and trackball has been added and the holes to pass the cables through will be covered up.

The console fascia was cut from 2mm ally sheet and then a gravograph sheet glued to it and then it is cut again and engraved. The gravograph material is tough and made to be engraved so not the usual problems with engraving ally. A rubber edging is then glued on to protect the edge and provide a neat solution.

The screen is a 10 inch LCD with a native resolution 1024 X 768. The switches are arcade type and clear labels can be printed and placed under the transparent caps. Nice and neat and can be changed without having to replace the engraved fascia. The pots are 10k and there is a momentary and on/off switch and USB socket for memory sticks.

The last two photos show the front and back of the fascia and the Pokeys board all ready to be wired up.

That's the progress so far.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cheers,
    Rod

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Looking good there Rod, If you need to make some room I will go out of my way and help. David
    giveitagoturning @hotmail.com

Hi David,
    I have already had a big clean out and need to make more room to make the workshops safe. I'll keep you in mind but there is already a stream of eager gatherers for my discards.
    Cheers,
    Rod

The console is finished. I should have dusted it down and wiped the finger marks off it before taking a photo but it will probably look like it does soon enough. :)
    I have included two photos the second showing the ModIO console I have on my trusty Morphy in the background. The ModIO board and most of the hardware was supplied by Peter Homann. :2tsup:

Instructions for getting both consoles working with Mach3 are in the link in the first post if anyone wants to tackle making a console.

I have been able to get rid of my bulky console on a toolbox and have gained a good amount to space so I don't have to back outside to turn around now. :wink:
    Cheers,
    Rod

I decided to install a new ITX computer which was a good opportunity to clean things up and write new code and hack a new screen design while I was at it.
    I got a few ITX boards with parallel ports on them a few years ago which has saved me from buying a USB interface for the mill - for now.
    I had to also install the Xbox360 wireless controller which I use when my head is stuck in the mill enclosure.
    Here is a photo of the console in my study where all the configuration happened.
    Not much point showing any more of this project so that's your blooming lot for this thread.
    Cheers,
    Rod

Hi rod

thanks for the inspiration. Your threads are always a great read.

Craig