Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default anyone used the LMII power fret slot system.

Hi.
    after getting my sled nicely aligned, I bought the LMII 30mm .023" blade and had stiffeners done locally as per the LMII specs :

' Blades • Stiffeners • & Other Parts
    Our LMI shop slots loads and loads of fingerboards, and with proper care and cleaning our blades last many months. We offer blades with either a .023" or .025" kerf. They are 6" diameter, have 190 teeth and a 5/8" or 1" arbor. The blade is designed with proper chip clearance and tooth angle for long life in Rosewood and Ebony.

Stiffeners, or collars, are the true heart of this system. They are made of heat-treated steel, are 5½" diameter, and each is .125" thick. This configuration controls blade runout, extends the life of the blade immeasurably, keeps it from deforming, and ensures accurate slots in your fretboard. Typical table saw stiffeners, similar to those that come with your table saw, are not adequate for this system. We highly recommend our SPFSYPCS
    stiffeners (not available in a 1" arbor configuration).'

because the stewmac blade has a 5/8" bore and Stewmac advised me against expandoing it to 30mm - though now i find that a lot of people do... anyway...

I find that the shank on the saw accommodates 1 blade width so the possiblity of fitting a blade and two stiffeners appears to be zero..Is this the way to use the system? I must add here that I have sent two requests for advice to LMII and received only the automated acknowledgement. (That really pisses me of) ..but back to the question:

If anyone has used their system please tell me what's suposed to happen..ie 1 stiffener or two, and how to fit the bloody things.

Are their big problems with expanding a Stewmac blade for 5/8" to 30mm?

(out of desperation I slotted one fingerboard by hand today..that really me off too)

Sorry for whinging, but I put a lot of time & effort in dissembling drilling grinding reassembling testing etc etc to get the sled running true, and now the cutting system ( for a 30mm shank) doesn't appear to be appropriate!!

All help appreciated. Thanks, Rob.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

No problems with reboring the stewmac blade. I came close to getting one a few months back and spoke to Leuco about reboring it and they said it was very common to do and not an issue at all.

It's been about a year since I put it together so my memory may be off, but I think the spindle on my radial saw had size options in form of a step down? It is an older saw.

I might be wrong, but I do know the stewmac blade fit straight on and spins straight.

Melbourne Outer East right next to mount dande

i use the stewmac blade and on a small but accurate table saw it works very well
    if you have the blade bored out properly no problems should occur -
    these guys will bore it out and can even make you another saw blade if you want

i would not try and cut the hole on the workshop drill press
    ray c
    dunno what's more fun, buyin' the tools or usin' em'