Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is going to be a spectacular house! Did you build that boat pictured as your avatar? That looks like a real beauty.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Right then. The walls are up with the fireplace wall made as a cavity wall to better hide the wiring which is not as per instructions but as they say instructions are only there if all else fails!

TMH0010.JPG

The current task is flooring. I ran out of the timber I used for the tavern floor so in this case I have used another piece of recycled scrap which looks like Tassie oak. In the cutting down and planing I have ended up with 6mm x 2mm cut to 150mm lengths (scale 12ft boards of 6” x 2”) Hopefully I have enough from the one piece.

I'm starting to enjoy this.

Cheers
    Dave . . .
    I believe in Murphy's Law of Pre-requisites - Whatever I want to do, I have to do something else first.

Well, the flooring went well and there was enough for the job. A coat of spray gloss really lifted it.

TMH0011.JPG

In addition I have constructed the steps for the external staircase. Basically this was cut from a length of 12mm pine with a rebate along each edge to leave a 2 x 2mm ‘nose’. Each shaped edge was then cut off at 45 degrees and this was then cut into 35mm lengths. These pieces were sanded and glued to a scrap piece of 3mm ply to form the stairs, then the whole glued to a wider backing piece of ply, stained and mounted.

TMH0012.JPG

As you can see the internal wall beams have been added together with the outline of the window. SWMBO wants to know when she can move in!
    Cheers
    Dave . . .
    I believe in Murphy's Law of Pre-requisites - Whatever I want to do, I have to do something else first.

I love these work in progress. There is a lot of details in this and I thank you for putting up the posts.

Really looking nice, You need to open a business, called "Extreme Dollhouse Productions" or something like that. There as to be a market for such beautiful dollhouses.

I am stymied on the window until I can find a pen that will draw on acetate sheet to represent the diamond leadlight style of window panes.

In the meantime I have moved on to this floor’s lighting which involves drilling a lot of small holes and threading wire through them and the cavity walls. There is only a 6mm gap which makes things a little tricky.

TMH0013.JPG TMH0014.JPG

The red wires are the positive end of the circuit and the black the negative. The white wires connect positive to negative between LEDs. The red wire is where I solder in the appropriate rating of resistor.
    Circled in red on the back of the house are the two legs of each LED that come through separate holes and will be soldered to the wiring on this side of the wall. The lights on the cavity walls are soldered out from the ‘good’ side of the wall and the wiring gently pulled through to draw the light fitting flush for gluing.
    Cheers
    PS. I typed this up in Word and the spell checker kept suggesting that ‘red wire’ should be ‘red wine’ – love it
    Dave . . .

Love the house. Were you an electrician in an earlier life ? Look forward to the ongoing work.

Keith

Coming along nicely. I know what it is like to wire a dolls house, have you tried copper tape for the wiring

Progress has been very slow recently for some reason. Maybe it’s because I am in the throes of learning QCad while drawing up the lines of the Endeavour in readiness for building a cross section as the next project.

However I finally tracked down a decent pen to mark the acetate for the diamond look windows which meant being able to cut and fix the front beams above where the access panels will go. Then I inserted the main ceiling beams and have started on the ceiling joists. Work has stopped while I cut and stain some more!

TMH0015.JPG TMH0016.JPG

In answer to your question, Keith – definitely not! I am a farmer’s son who spent 40 years in IT which means I will have a go at anything! And no Dalboy I haven’t looked at copper tape. I have seen references to it but not in conjunction with LED lights. Nor have I seriously searched for it here in Oz. Maybe for some future moment of weakness!

Yes PLD the avatar is of my strip built cosine wherry which unfortunately is strung up in the ceiling of my workshop waiting for me to clean up sufficiently for me to get access to get it out on the water.

Cheers
    Dave . . .

Quote Originally Posted by OtakiriLad View Post
    Progress has been very slow recently for some reason. Maybe it’s because I am in the throes of learning QCad while drawing up the lines of the Endeavour in readiness for building a cross section as the next project.

However I finally tracked down a decent pen to mark the acetate for the diamond look windows which meant being able to cut and fix the front beams above where the access panels will go. Then I inserted the main ceiling beams and have started on the ceiling joists. Work has stopped while I cut and stain some more!

TMH0015.JPG TMH0016.JPG

In answer to your question, Keith – definitely not! I am a farmer’s son who spent 40 years in IT which means I will have a go at anything! And no Dalboy I haven’t looked at copper tape. I have seen references to it but not in conjunction with LED lights. Nor have I seriously searched for it here in Oz. Maybe for some future moment of weakness!

Yes PLD the avatar is of my strip built cosine wherry which unfortunately is strung up in the ceiling of my workshop waiting for me to clean up sufficiently for me to get access to get it out on the water.

Cheers
    You are definitely doing a great job.

Well Done

Keith

Really fine work this.
    I'm enjoying every minute of it.

The Endeavour cross section sounds wonderful.
    I'm looking forward to that!

Lots of intricate work, you must have a steady hand and good eyesight.

It' looking great.

Keith

It seems a while since I updated this but I have been a bit side-tracked by building a plinth to hide the electrics including the transformer and also to provide a switch array so as to turn on the lights in each room on an individual basis.

TMH0017.JPG TMH0018.JPG

Looking at that Keith you can definitely tell I was not a sparkie in a past life. The switches themselves have been extracted from normal light switches (and there are two slightly different forms) Also note the colour change from my red is positive and black negative to the industry standard of brown for phase and blue for neutral!

Also work on the actual house has progressed to the installation of the bedroom and great hall floors and walls. The back wall of the great hall gives an indication as to the final roof height – this room is effectively double height with ‘cathedral’ ceilings. The ceiling of the bedroom (on the right) forms the floor of the ‘servant’s quarters’ in the roof cavity.

TMH0019.jpg

One thing I have found is that the photos on the website where I found this project have all disappeared. Fortunately I downloaded them at the time and have them all saved in a Word document. It’s a painful lesson learned from the past – the web is constantly changing so if you want something, save it.

Cheers
    Dave . . .

crowie is offline Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

Quote Originally Posted by OtakiriLad View Post
    It seems a while since I updated this but I have been a bit side-tracked by building a plinth to hide the electrics including the transformer and also to provide a switch array so as to turn on the lights in each room on an individual basis.

TMH0017.JPG TMH0018.JPG

Looking at that Keith you can definitely tell I was not a sparkie in a past life. The switches themselves have been extracted from normal light switches (and there are two slightly different forms) Also note the colour change from my red is positive and black negative to the industry standard of brown for phase and blue for neutral!

Also work on the actual house has progressed to the installation of the bedroom and great hall floors and walls. The back wall of the great hall gives an indication as to the final roof height – this room is effectively double height with ‘cathedral’ ceilings. The ceiling of the bedroom (on the right) forms the floor of the ‘servant’s quarters’ in the roof cavity.

TMH0019.jpg

One thing I have found is that the photos on the website where I found this project have all disappeared. Fortunately I downloaded them at the time and have them all saved in a Word document. It’s a painful lesson learned from the past – the web is constantly changing so if you want something, save it.

Cheers
    G'day "OtakiriLad", You've done quite a reasonable job on the electrics sir....
    You must have had some difficulty doing the housing for the 7 mech's all in a round...I've only ever seen a bank of 4 in the electrical catalogue...
    It's also good that you reminded us all to save what we see on the internet when we see it....top advice, thank you....
    It's starting to look like a real house now...well done and keep the photos & notes coming.
    cheers, crowie

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast