That is really wonderful work mate!
    I'm enjoying every minute of it

Cheers
    Trev.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Wonderful job.

Thanks to all for the encouragement.

Progress is slow but at least it is progress. More time is spent waiting for glue and paint to dry than actually building things but one of the lessons it has taken me 50 years to learn is that when something is glued up – LEAVE THE B****Y THING ALONE!

The great hall has progressed to having the front access panel retainer installed, half the roof on and the ceiling beams installed.

TMH0020.JPG

The servant’s quarters (under the roof above the main bedroom) has also had the ends fitted and the roof panels cut out. A dormer window has been installed in the roof and is currently held in place with a spring clamp to make sure it is reasonably square and to assist in drying.

TMH0021.JPG

The finished access panels have now all been glazed – only waiting for one door to be made and fitted. The last one somehow got mismeasured and assigned to the scrapheap. Now that some of the roof is on I can get a better appreciation of the whole thing. Still enjoying it.

Cheers
    Dave
    Dave . . .
    I believe in Murphy's Law of Pre-requisites - Whatever I want to do, I have to do something else first.

Dave,

It looks great. You are a good house builder.

Regards

Keith

crowie is offline Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

Quote Originally Posted by OtakiriLad View Post
    Thanks to all for the encouragement.

Progress is slow but at least it is progress. More time is spent waiting for glue and paint to dry than actually building things but one of the lessons it has taken me 50 years to learn is that when something is glued up – LEAVE THE B****Y THING ALONE!

The great hall has progressed to having the front access panel retainer installed, half the roof on and the ceiling beams installed.

TMH0020.JPG

The servant’s quarters (under the roof above the main bedroom) has also had the ends fitted and the roof panels cut out. A dormer window has been installed in the roof and is currently held in place with a spring clamp to make sure it is reasonably square and to assist in drying.

TMH0021.JPG

The finished access panels have now all been glazed – only waiting for one door to be made and fitted. The last one somehow got mismeasured and assigned to the scrapheap. Now that some of the roof is on I can get a better appreciation of the whole thing. Still enjoying it.

Cheers
    Dave
    G'Day Dave,
    You are doing a first class job on this dolls house and it's starting to look magnificent rather than just good....keep it coming sir...
    Thank you for the reminder about leaving glue up's in place until they are dry....we'll have to work up a funny sign for that one to go up in the shed....
    Cheers, crowie

I must admit before seeing your build, I would have said I'm not a doll house kinda guy!
    But I've very quickly come to see that there's a hole lot more going on here.
    This is architectural model making at it's best!!!!
    The detail your achieving is fantastic to say the least.

I can only say your work is Brilliant and I'm a complete convert
    Please keep it coming "Fantastic Stuff"

Cheers
    Trev.

Construction is like the old-time dance routine – “Slow, slow, quick, quick, slow”. I have been going mainly slow with lots of repetitive stuff with beams, paint, lights, glue drying, etc until now where I am about ready to do some major plastering for roof tiles and exterior pavers. So firstly the front on view, then the end view and the back and sides (which show the false panelling covering up the wiring).

TMH0022.JPG TMH0023.JPG TMH0024.JPG

The great hall has a more formal fireplace on a brick background, ‘cathedral’ ceilings and a couple of chandeliers!

TMH0025.JPG

Some experimentation will be necessary with plaster to judge drying and working time before letting loose on the house itself.

Cheers
    Dave
    Dave . . .
    I believe in Murphy's Law of Pre-requisites - Whatever I want to do, I have to do something else first.

Mate that is just brilliant work.
    Fantastic detail everywhere and every time you post there's even more!
    Honestly your work is wonderful

Cheers mate
    Trev.

G'Day Dave, Magnificent is a good word to describe this masterpiece...Patience and attention to detail are all very evident. Cheers, crowie

It's "Experimentation Day".

TMH0026.JPG

I went to the green shed and got a 20kg bag of render and having used only a couple of hundred mls for this I am going to have a lot left over. Anyway, I added water, mixed up to a fairly stiff mix and trowelled it onto an offcut piece of ply pre-treated with diluted PVA (as has been done to the roof of the house. This amount covered about 150mm square which is tons for trialling the method. Depth of about 5mm screeded flat. Then with a putty knife I made rows of plaster about 10mm apart each sloping enough to give a 3D effect. Then using the tip of the knife cut lines to represent the tiles.

It looks OK from my point of view and an hour later is still quite wet enough to work which was the point of the exercise - how much do I need to make up and how long have I got before it goes off.

I'll also use this trial piece to test out paint/stain when dry.

Next, the real thing.

Cheers
    Dave . . .

Quote Originally Posted by OtakiriLad View Post
    It's "Experimentation Day".

TMH0026.JPG

I went to the green shed and got a 20kg bag of render and having used only a couple of hundred mls for this I am going to have a lot left over. Anyway, I added water, mixed up to a fairly stiff mix and trowelled it onto an offcut piece of ply pre-treated with diluted PVA (as has been done to the roof of the house. This amount covered about 150mm square which is tons for trialling the method. Depth of about 5mm screeded flat. Then with a putty knife I made rows of plaster about 10mm apart each sloping enough to give a 3D effect. Then using the tip of the knife cut lines to represent the tiles.

It looks OK from my point of view and an hour later is still quite wet enough to work which was the point of the exercise - how much do I need to make up and how long have I got before it goes off.

I'll also use this trial piece to test out paint/stain when dry.

Next, the real thing.

Cheers
    Dave, How good does that look...superbly done sir....crowie

Mate I can only hope as soon as you finish this build you start another!
    I am right into this
    Fantastic work on the trial tiles they certainly look the part.

Cheers
    Trev.

The work force is now on strike! The roof is on and the owner has not yet shouted!

In total disregard for usual tradition I got everything in place before setting out on the exercise – render, water, mixer, screeds, knives, wet cloths, plastic on the bench! I allowed two and a half hours and it took two.

TMH0027.JPG

It was a matter of slopping it on . . .

TMH0028.JPG

. . . then screeding and roughly marking strips, bevelling the plaster based on those markings . . .

TMH0029.JPG

. . . and finally making impressions representing the tiles.

TMH0030.JPG

Each row was bevelled and ‘impressed’ before proceeding with the next as the act of bevelling squeezed plaster slightly on top of the row below and hid any inaccurate markings.

TMH0031.JPG TMH0032.JPG

Now to wait for it to dry before doing the chimney and then the ground pavers (if the boss shouts).
    Cheers
    Dave . . .

Dave, That looks amazing sir...VERY WELL DONE!!! cheers, crowie

Quote Originally Posted by crowie View Post
    Dave, That looks amazing sir...VERY WELL DONE!!! cheers, crowie
    I couldn't agree more if I wonted to

Trev.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast