Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default What Finish to use?

Hi all, My wife has decided that she would like to learn to play a Dulcimer. I thought that it would be nice if I was to build her one. I have never even attempted to build a musical instrument before so I have ordered a Dulcimer kit from the states.

I was wondering what is the best finish to apply to the instrument once have completed the build?

Any advice is appreciated.

Kev
    I try and do new things twice.. the first time to see if I can do it.. the second time to see if I like it
    Kev

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I'd say that most finishes that can be applied to a guitar would be suitable for a dulcimer, from handrubbed oil and wax to a sprayed poly finish. I guess it comes down to a) how you want it to look (satin, gloss etc.) and b) how hard wearing you want it to be. Each finish has its pros and cons, so ultimately it would be up to you. What sort of dulcimer is it, out of curiosity?

I use Tru Oil because its easy to use, pretty and long wearing. Shellac has been used for centuries as have all sorts of cooked oil varnishes. Ive heard of Danish Oil and Estapol giving great results as well. So I guess Im parroting the Spade on this.
    "We must never become callous. When we experience the conflicts ever more deeply we are living in truth. The quiet conscience is an invention of the devil." - Albert Schweizer

My blog. http://theupanddownblog.blogspot.com

Thanks for the replies. I am not sure if my wife wants a gloss finish or a satin finish, I can just about guess she will say something like " ooohh what ever is easiest for you" which means, just make it fast and keep me happy !

I have been told about Tru-oil and have done a search for it but have not found any Australian suppliers. I was thinking about using U-Beauts hard shellac.

Attached is a pic of the teardrop mountain dulcimer I have ordered.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I try and do new things twice.. the first time to see if I can do it.. the second time to see if I like it
    Kev

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Y. View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I am not sure if my wife wants a gloss finish or a satin finish, I can just about guess she will say something like " ooohh what ever is easiest for you" which means, just make it fast and keep me happy !

I have been told about Tru-oil and have done a search for it but have not found any Australian suppliers. I was thinking about using U-Beauts hard shellac.

Attached is a pic of the teardrop mountain dulcimer I have ordered.
    Any gun shop should have it -

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Y. View Post
    As above, most gun shops should have it or be able to order it in. I bought a bottle a little while ago for a project but I'm yet to use it, so I couldn't say what it's like to use.
    If you want easy to use finishes, I find that tung or danish oil with a carnauba wax coat over the top comes up a treat. It's not particularly hard wearing, but very easy to touch up every now and then if needed. I have tried the Ubeaut hard shellac, but it wasn't quite what I like an instrument to feel like - it had a bit of a plasticy feel when done, so I stuck a wax coat over it. Mind you, I'm definitely no more than an amateur when it comes to using things like shellac

I quite like the teardrop style dulcimers too, make sure to post pictures when you're done

Quote Originally Posted by Strungout View Post
    Any gun shop should have it -
    http://westernfirearms.com.au/cleani...4g0brig2qkmeq5

Melbourne Outer East right next to mount dande

i would avoid rubbed oil finishes such as danish or organoil- the oild soaks in and deadens the timber
    the easiest and cheapest to use is home brew wiping varnish - pretty cheap too - just gargle it for `100's of recipes
    wipe on with a soft cloth 3 times and your done
    rattle can nitro from guitaraust - gloss or satin
    any poly estapol. cabots will do the job
    minwax
    ray c
    dunno what's more fun, buyin' the tools or usin' em'

I don't agree with this (re oil). I use organoil hard burnishing oil (tung) and the layer it develops is micron thick, but hard, even on spruce. I have some very responsive instruments in this finish.

It results in a finish that is durable, easy to repair and gets progressively better with human contact, exactly what you want in an instrument.

Melbourne Outer East right next to mount dande

Quote Originally Posted by damienb View Post
    I don't agree with this (re oil). I use organoil hard burnishing oil (tung) and the layer it develops is micron thick, but hard, even on spruce. I have some very responsive instruments in this finish.

It results in a finish that is durable, easy to repair and gets progressively better with human contact, exactly what you want in an instrument.
    ykmv and there are many who agree with your point of view -
    whether rubbed oil finishes are the way to to go with acoustic instruments is a subject that is open to conjecture
    imho there is nothing that looks better than a hand rubbed oil finish and as you say there are other advantages
    ray c
    dunno what's more fun, buyin' the tools or usin' em'

Well I have finally finished the Dulcimer. In the end I opted to use some NC lacquer that I had left over from another project.

While I am happy that I have finished the build, I have learned several things during the build which may help on the next build.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kev

Turned out well!
    "We must never become callous. When we experience the conflicts ever more deeply we are living in truth. The quiet conscience is an invention of the devil." - Albert Schweizer

My blog. http://theupanddownblog.blogspot.com

Looks good, well done