Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New builds OOO's 12 fret to the neck

I thought I'd share a little of the builds I'll be doing over the next few, ....several, months.
    The plan...build two OOOs this year.
    No.1 Malaysian Blackwood back and sides, bear claw Sitka spruce top, Wenge neck. 45 style
    No.2 Camatillo sides, three piece Camatillo, Blackwood, Camatillo back, Wenge neck. 45 style

So far:
    Sides

Some lovely figure and color in the Camatillo

The bridge plate being glued in.

I'll try to add a little more each month.
    Once again I'd like to thank Jack Spira for allowing me to build in his workshop. I learn something new each time I visit as he keeps an eye on my progress.
    Let me know what you think of the guitar as it progresses. It's the process I am loving as much as the anticipation of the final product.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

That spruce is gorgeous!!, as are the other timbers Looks like some fun builds.
    "We must never become callous. When we experience the conflicts ever more deeply we are living in truth. The quiet conscience is an invention of the devil." - Albert Schweizer

My blog. http://theupanddownblog.blogspot.com

Wow, that timber
    Can't wait to see these ones done

Here is the back with the wedge glued in and the back taking shape.
    I'm looking forward to getting some time on this one.

A little more progress.
    Does anyone have any thoughts on x brace variations? At this stage I'm commited to standard X brace, and A frame in the upper bout. The question is to scallop or to taper both the X braces and the tone bars? These are my first 000's so I'm in two minds as to which way to go.
    The linings have been cleaned up a little, the solid linings are a little more work than the kerfed variety.Progress is slow but steady.
    IMG_9740.jpgIMG_4624.jpgIMG_2261.jpg

That's what Brer Tortoise sad to Brer Rabbit bout winning the race, looking very very nice Kev.

Steve

Lol
    Some more braces added.

The brace carving is going slowly. I'm learning heaps as I go.

Watching.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

So to the back.
    Put in the BWB purfling either side of the Teflon strips, waiting for the Paua shell next. The Blackwood insert has been made to look a little more wedge shaped by angling the channels for the inlay a little.
    The two marriage strips are glued and shaped. The back braces had a radius shaped in them before being fitted to the back.
    All in all a productive evening.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406354839.295949.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1406354873.060481.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1406354890.512631.jpg

Carved the back braces, notched the linings for the back. It's all ready to be closed up next time. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406560409.144866.jpg

Beautiful wood, even more beautiful work.

I have never attempted an acoustic guitar, more of an electric kind of a bloke, but your work is an inspiration. I might get a kit and give it a crack... a kit because I would not know where to start otherwise Stewmac has Dreadnoughts and triple-O's.

STEWMAC.COM - Acoustic Guitar Kits

Any thoughts on building from a kit? Anyway I'll be following this thread with great interest, cheers.

Default New builds OOO's 12 fret to the neck

The Stewmac kits are a great start for acoustic builds. I'd go for it if I were you. The instructions are great and if you've done the electric builds you should not have an issue.
    There are lots of YouTube tutorials and some great books out there.

Thanks for the +ve feedback on the build.

I'm lucky to have a good friend as a teacher/mentor. Jack Spira is an amazing luthier and lovely human being. I feel blessed to be able to use his workshop and learn so much from just watching his methods and some direct instruction/guidance from time to time. He guided me through my fist build a few years ago and has allowed me to work in his workshop, on and off, for the past few years.
    It is great to be able to just chat about the pros and cons of various methods of construction with someone that has been making a living producing world class instruments for about 30 years.
    He shares openly stories of failures and success. He is realistic about the variability of the instruments and the efforts needed to try and minimise the variation. Talking through his journey over the years has allowed me to benefit from his experience. I now have a good foundation to go off and experiment with finding the distinctive voice I'd like my guitars to have. I'm enjoying the process.

Thumbs up

Well Kev, your reply is as beautiful as your work, thank you.

I know what you mean about minimising variation, sometimes I spend hours studying what I'm about to attempt. Even if I've done it a hundred times before, I always assume I'm about to make a terrible mistake. Some of the wood I buy costs an arm and a leg, so it's like having this little warning playing in my head "did you measure that right, did you account for this or that, this is the point of no return, are you ready to do this?" It slows me down sometimes but I usually end up with reasonable results.

Looking around the internet regarding guitar building, the golden rule seems to be "practice on scrap", but the one time I did that the scrap was perfect but real thing turned to s-crap, so ever since then I just go straight for the real thing and take my time measuring, thinking, and measuring again, to the point where using the sharp and noisy things is almost an anti-climax.

I just searched Jack and his shop is not that far from me (I'm in Loch), how does he feel about visitors? I would love to visit his workshop, not so much for instruction or training as such, but more or less just to get a feel for the acoustic building process. I'm kind of stupid at most things but woodworking is something that my pea brain seems to grasp automatically... well we all have to be good at something, lucky for me it's wood because I love it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast