Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: ISO vs HSK

Default ISO vs HSK

Hi all,

We're looking into finally getting a CNC at work and I was hoping some experienced people could shed some light on the ISO30 vs HSK63 debate. Are there any compelling reasons to choose one over the other?

We'll mostly be working with solid timber up to 70mm thick (generally 50mm is the max we'd use, but need to be able to run thicker stuff) and some sheet materials.

Thanks in advance

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I've used both, and there's really not much difference. HSK63 is supposed to be better, and is what our current machine has. I used the ISO30 machine for over 10 years with no problems.
    Gerry

I operated a Procam 14 tool unit with an 8KW ISO30 spindle for someone in your general area for a couple of years. The machine had been in use for 8 years when I finished up, and I and the owner had never had spindle/tool holder/collet issues with the machine. Haven't used the alternative HSK tooling that you mention, but certainly no issues with ISO toolholders, toolchangers etc, however, as a caveat, the complete system was supplied as a turnkey system, so we didn't have 3rd party toolholders or collets mixing into the turnkey gear, there might be potential for issues if someone bought cheap 3rd party low tolerance tooling.
    I used to be an engineer, I'm not an engineer any more, but on the really good days I can remember when I was.

Thanks for the replies.
    We've bought a second hand Biesse Rover 24 (3000x1250 bed with C-axis) with the ISO30 mount - arrives in two weeks so I'll have another toy to play with .
    I asked the CNC tech that was advising us on our purchase as well and he said pretty much the same thing. Only big difference he mentioned is that HSK is more dust resistant, but given that the auto-changing spindles all have air blowers anyway it's a non-issue.

While HSK may be more dust resistant, it's possible for chips to get inside the open top. When this happens, the spindle won't grab the tool. On our Morbidelli, it gives an error and shuts down. I've only seen it happen twice in 3 years, but one was two days ago.
    Gerry

Never had any issues with dust into the spindle socket or air powered lock/release system on the ISO 30. Used to get minor coating on the toolholders in the rack, particularly the ones not used frequently, and give them an obligatory weekly wipe over with a rag and cleaner/rust preventative or worst case 0000 steel wool as part of the weekly maintenance run, along with an ultra slow run (abt 200RPM) for the empty spindle socket with some steel wool on a dowel to clear any gum etc that accumulated every 3 months or so.

Never had any issues with loading holding and releasing tools through the autochanger as required by the program.
    I used to be an engineer, I'm not an engineer any more, but on the really good days I can remember when I was.