Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by kamusur View Post
    It looks pretty good Damien, well done.

Steve
    Thanks Steve et al.

It's settled in and I A-Bd it against my 15 year old 000-16GT. Similar timbre, but more complex in the mids, a fair bit more volume and better sustain, particularly in the treble, though I suspect that's the scalloped top braces, 12 fret body, and flat lower back braces more than the wood. Feels like it could be overdriven though I didn't try flatpicking. Silky Oak is certainly an effective tone wood. Will try to post some video soon.

On to its 12 string twin. Have made a lot of the parts. Conventional wisdom says no scalloping but only 2 tone braces. Any opinions? Should I go 3 tone braces? Will go a belly bridge rather than pyramid on this and a 20% larger (i.e., longer) bridge plate.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Default 12 string done

12 string is done. Sitka top. Bridge glued today. String it up tomorrow. Had a bit of ebony for the FB, and made a contrasting 3-piece back. No less than 4 different species of grevillia in this one

Used 2 tone bars with no scalloping. Top sounds quite damped compared with the 6-string top. See how it turns out tomorrow

6 string is travelling well. Put it next to the 12 for one of the pics. Can see how the top has darkened and evened out a lot in colour.

1_.jpg20140920_174739.jpg2_.jpg

No more spruce left. Time to retire. Anyone in Brisbane want my forms and templates?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12