Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Fine Woodworking on-line subscription.

I really don't know if this is the correct Forum site to ask this question, but it's the closest I can find, so.........

Has anyone had any experience with subscribing to Fine Woodworking's on-line info service?
    I realise it's only around $40.00 or so give or take, but I'd like to hear if anyone else has subscribed to them before and if they found it was worth the cost or not?
    I've seen and heard a few less than complimentary things said about them via You Tube and various other's experiences in the US, but none from here in OZ.

So.....any takers?

Thanks,
    Bob

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I_wanna_Shed is offline Now I've got a 6x7m shed! I need a new name...

Hi Bob,

I subscribed a number of years ago (maybe 3-4). I mustn't of got much value out of it, because I didn't renew. I can't exactly remember why, though.

I think that most of videos you could get similar content elsewhere for free.

Even if it was a few more bucks and included a subscription to the actual magazine, I would have kept it.

It may have changed in the past few years, but I don't remember any 'WOW' content.

This probably doesn't help.....

Nathan.

I_wanna_Shed is offline Now I've got a 6x7m shed! I need a new name...

Can't you do a trial-offer subscription to the website? ie: cancel your Credit Card billing within 30 days and pay nothing?

I'm a paying subscriber. I get the magazine on my iPad, and the web-site content. The iPad mag is quite good. It contains lots of links to online content, including videos of projects they undertake.

The current video project is an Adorondak chair made using lamination. The videos are usually very detailed, and I get value from them.

I also subscribe to the WoodWhisper's site, so you could say that I'm a bit of a sucker for online woodworking content.

Cheers,

ajw

I subscribed a couple of years ago. There is content on the site that was useful to me. I downloaded quite a few of the pdfs and refer back to them now and again, but locating the one I think I remember is a bit hit and miss on my harddrive. Keeping a copy of their video content is difficult and really the only reason to subscribe to the online site.

I did not renew but have considered buying one of their annual Archive DVDs. The current DVD has the full 38 years of magazine content available for US$99.95 which I think might be better value than a subscription.

Thanks for the info guys. I'm not looking to subscribe to their mag as I think I have enough with our own Australian publications. My trouble is I never throw out old magazines. I figure that if I pay good money for them then I'm keeping 'em.

You should see the boxes of mags I have stashed at home......boxes and boxes! I have magazines going way back to the 60s and beyond! All different topics.
    I might have to see about getting rid of a few soon. Maybe......

Anyhow, as Nathan pointed out, I could just do a trial run and see if it's worth it, but Fuzzie is also correct in that the collective DVDs might be the trick.

I'll let y'all know what I decide.......sorry about that.

Thanks,
    Bob

Probably coming in a bit late here as the thread was started a couple of days ago and the OP appears to have read the replies and posted his conclusion.

I have been a mag subscriber for about 5 years, and an online subscriber for a bit more than two. Online offers a substantial discount to mag subscribers (not sure of current rates but mag to Oz plus online works out to about $US10 per annum more than online only for multi year subscriptions), and offers online access to their library of project and how to video's, the back issue library, most of the books they have published, and browsing access to the plans library.

On the downside, they send you a lot of promotional advertising, hoping to sell hard copy books, DVD's etc that you can view online once you join, mingled with advisory emails/newsletters about mag contents, video sequences that are being released on line, and other material. The newsletter emails tend to have about 3 advertising links to external sponsors like Leigh in each one, but they are grouped together and easily ignored if you wish.

I am one of those funny buggers who like to read/watch things but often don't get to try and do things (more info junkie than practical) but feel that I am getting value for money for my 3 year mag subs and 2 year online subs. I also have a one of the archive packages from them which can be useful for tracking down individual articles or searching topics.

I know some people expect that everything they look to should be designed in metric with local standard dimensions, rather than imperial dimensions and standards, because they lack the ability, time or confidence to translate and modify foreign plans to metric and local standard sizes. Luckily I can understand concepts and transfer them to something else, or rework them into something very similar but sized to suit the situation where I want to use them.

Overall I am happy with the package I am getting, but accept that others with a more practical 'in the shop and working wood' might feel that the money would be better spent on materials, tools etc.
    I used to be an engineer, I'm not an engineer any more, but on the really good days I can remember when I was.

Hi Malb,

Thanks for taking the time to give me such an in depth response. I very much appreciate it.
    I'll do a bit more sussing out and see if I can make up my mind soon.
    Geez....I'm starting to sound like my missus...

Cheers,
    Bob

Default I am a current subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Glenrob View Post
    Hi Malb,

Thanks for taking the time to give me such an in depth response. I very much appreciate it.
    I'll do a bit more sussing out and see if I can make up my mind soon.
    Geez....I'm starting to sound like my missus...

Cheers,
    Bob
    Hi Bob,

My two cents worth...

I have a current magazine + on-line subscription to Fine Woodworking, and have bought their up-to-date archive. I was lured into it by their on-line newsletters (start woodwodwoking and fine woodworking) which are free to subscribe to, and have some good ideas.

Overall, I have to say that the magazine and on-line magazine sub offer very little over and above what is free. I am quite disappointed in the mag, it seems to regurgitate what is in the free on-line stuff and does not offer me much more of interest. In either case if you want detailed plans for any of their projects it seems that you pay extra for them. Their newsletters are certainly good for tips, ideas and jigs, but the magazine itself does not seem as good as Australian Wood Review, which has all local content.

The archive is interesting for ideas, but doesn't thrill me really.

I recommend that you sign up for the free stuff at start woodworking and fine woodworking but keep your money for home-grown mags, timber or machines.

I won't be renewing my sub.

Regards

David

Don't know if it might be significant for you or not, but I received an email from them tonight advising that mag subscribers and online subscribers can access material via Android and Win 8 tablet devices courtesy of just released Apps. App requires account number and zip/post code for mag subscribers, or email address and surname for online members. If you wish to access something not included in either mag or online subs, you also have the opportunity to purchase and access via the app if you have credit with the app store system.

Similar arrangements have been in place for Ipads etc for some time.
    I used to be an engineer, I'm not an engineer any more, but on the really good days I can remember when I was.

Yes, thanks I got that too. I have an iPad so have had that for some time. My problem is that the content, however received, doesn't really thrill me. As I said, the jigs etc on their free newsletters are good. Its just that, for me, not necessarily for others, the rest is not enough to keep me. But, I don't want to put others off, I do think it is high quality, and for some will be well worthwhile.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone for all your input. After thinking about it all, I'll just stick with what's out there for free. There's more than enough for free to keep me occupied.

Cheers,
    Bob