Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default brick wall ply lining

Hey all. Im going to be lining my brick shed with 18-20mm ply so I can put insulation in and so I can hang sleving and cabinetry easier. Trying to minimise dynabolting cabinets/shelving the walls.

What I was wondering is how people have done this?

What I was considering doing is hanging full sheets in a landscape orientation so the length of each sheet hopefully can span across brick pillars. In between each pillars ill bolt or bond vertical structural pine studs so they are flush with the pillars then the ply will have more studs to screw into and a stronger bond to the wall. So one dynabolt in each corner of each sheet then either timber screws or bugle head screws into timber studs in the middle of each sheet

Is this along the lines of what other people do or maybe full length scrutcural pine horizontal attached to each pillar and each sheet drilled into the horizontal studs?

Cheers guys
    Delbs

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

170 people view and no one knows? I think ive got a fair idea of what to do ill go ahead with it and report back how I go

This should give you some of the anatomy.

35 * 70 horizontals bolted to the wall with hilti plugs. Then with the verticals skew nailed to them @ 600 centers. That should give you a standoff of 105mm to clear your brick piers.

i'll send some more pics when i get gome. I used 15mm ply which was heaps thick enough.

CCA h3 grade pine and sealed the walls with bondcrete first to stop some of the water. Sarking is the vapor permeable stuff from bunnings.

Lining the shed is easy. It only takes a day.
    This is how we did it anyway.
    https://www.woodworkforums.com/f245/groeneajs-instant-shed-idea-borrowed-amish-182931

The concrete screws we used were really good. Andy can give you the correct name.
    Those were the droids I was looking for.
    https://autoblastgates.com.au

Ah dale of course mate I completely forgot your nee shed I should have emailed you. Awesome thsnks for the tips.

NCArcher what an awesome thread. If I can take away anything aside from sherting walls from that thread is that you guys hsve a real sense of community there. What an awesome working bee to get it done. Great stuff!

My suggestion would be to make sure that you make the studs wide enough to fit the insulation as cutting it to fit for each pair of studs takes a long time.

As you can see from the thread we pre made the stud frames and bolted them to the brick wall.

I used these - http://www.ramset.com.au/Product/Det...rew-In-Anchors

I purchased the 100mm length and they are super strong. I used dynabolts to bolt the bottom plate to the floor.

As Paul says, it's definitely handy to take into consideration the width of your insulation and plan your frame widths to that dimension.

I have installed 4 triton timber racks and bolted them to the frame and loaded it to maximum capacity and it's still as strong as ever.

Cheers,
    Andy.