Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    crowie is online now Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

Thank you Dallas, Keith, Arthur, Graham, Mike & Bret......very much appreciate the kind words and YES we/I do learn from my/our mistakes.....

Part of the reasoning for confessing and highlighting them is/was to help others who might do the project see how I've tackled the mistakes/errors..

The one issue I didn't originally mention is that when I printed off the patterns of the plans, they were some 5-10% small than the actual required measurements. I had to copy the printouts the with some trial and error method managed to up-scale the pattern to the correct measurements. I then went across the whole plan filling in all the additional measurements to complete the plan so I didn't have to rely on the pattern to draw out the plan of each specific part. I'll scan and save this information for anyone who'd like a copy.

Today was a little cool at 6.30am but now 8.00am the sun is streaming into the house with 19-20deg"c" expected; after some chores & trip into the town I should have some shed time to continue on with the bobcat...

Cheers, crowie

PS - Can't blame a little mate for my mistakes.....

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Default ply and holes

Peter I think I would use ply arms that short cross grain will only give you grief.
    When I drill near the end of something I drill first then cut it out no splitting timber that way.
    "If you dont do anything you dont make mistakes"
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Prime mover View Post
    Peter I think I would use ply arms that short cross grain will only give you grief.
    When I drill near the end of something I drill first then cut it out no splitting timber that way.
    "If you dont do anything you dont make mistakes"
    Phil
    Thanks Phil, Re-reading the instructions, it says to drill the hole first ...
    On the ply, I've not seen any top shelf ply in the local area that I'd be happy with....maybe someone at the wood show will help with some direction.
    Cheers, crowie

Not a lot of progress today after spending 1.5hrs in town delivering "Car Boot Sale" Fund Raiser fliers for the Local Boys & Girls Club to a whole heap of local shops .... the funds will be used to get a squad of 20 gymnastics to Helsinki next July for the International Gymnaestrada, Display Festival ..... some 25000 - 30000 participants over 10 days which only happens every 4years.....

I did a lot of sanding plus routed all the edges that the plan said to do....got to love the 1/8" round-over bit on a Dremel Router table..

The biggest job was to shape the bevels, then glue the bucket before sanding it....

Tomorrow is the usual Tuesday morning medical appointments so may not get back to it until later in the week...
    Cheers, crowie
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great to see another episode in the Crowie & Handy's Toys For All series!
    Honestly mate you must have the best sandpit in the world.
    Looking great Crowie.

Cheers
    Trev.

Quote Originally Posted by Repliconics View Post
    Great to see another episode in the Crowie & Handy's Toys For All series!
    Honestly mate you must have the best sandpit in the world.
    Looking great Crowie.

Cheers
    Trev.
    No sandpit Trev, but the grandsons drive them all over the house fill tip truck & farm truck with blocks or Lego or connecting up the crane or tow truck along with the lowloaders... they have a ball, and so do I just watching them play...good for the soul... Cheers Peter

I hope you're not away from the job for too long otherwise Handy might get up to mischief, and we need another installment.
    I don't get much time to play during the week so I need you to give me my fix.
    A few of us from our club are going to a local Scout group on Wednesday night to do a demonstration, and help them put some kits together. This is also good for the soul.
    Dallas

Coming along slowly Peter shame about the small hic ups. What you have managed to do looks great.

Default make your own ply

Peter if you cant get good ply, put a piece through the planer so it is a bit thinner and glue them together on a cross grain with each other, you get a strong arm for the bobcat that way.
    Phil.

Great build so far. Thanks for doing the build thread. I like some of Wood's plans they are pretty easy to follow and it's fun to look for where you can modify/improve on them. Be watching this with great interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime mover View Post
    Peter if you cant get good ply, put a piece through the planer so it is a bit thinner and glue them together on a cross grain with each other, you get a strong arm for the bobcat that way.
    Phil.
    Thanks Phil, I'm going to try cutting a thin slice of merbau to use to glue/laminate along the inside of both arms.... Cheers, Peter

Quote Originally Posted by PLD View Post
    Great build so far. Thanks for doing the build thread. I like some of Wood's plans they are pretty easy to follow and it's fun to look for where you can modify/improve on them. Be watching this with great interest.
    Thanks Paul, I do try to do the WIP as I appreciate it heaps when others do them; good point of learning before the doing....Cheers, Peter

Quote Originally Posted by crowie View Post
    Thanks Phil, I'm going to try cutting a thin slice of merbau to use to glue/laminate along the inside of both arms.... Cheers, Peter
    I got home early enough to have an hour in the shed BUT SORRY no photos today...

I'm going to use & modify Phil's suggestion, but with the same timber as the bucket, not merbau so as to no to introduce another timber.

The timber is very pretty and old; it machines/cuts beautifully into thin 3/4" strips of 1.3 to 2.0mm thick for laminating/gluing to the inside of each arm. The arms will end up between 11-12mm thick.....

I will though have to remake the arm corner braces in the same timber...

Here's the old thread of how I sourced/scored this timber with the reference Bret found on the history on "wikipedia"...

https://www.woodworkforums.com/f174/bunch-free-100-timber-145998

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mason_and_Hamlin

Tomorrow is gardening day at our daughters with my darling wife, Tracey; but I may get a little time in the afternoon to do some more and hopefully with photos plus Handy's assistance of course...
    Cheers, crowie

Just a thought...maybe someone could identify the species of timber in the bucket for me, please...Thank you advance. Cheers crowie

Default Apologies again - but no photos today...

Apologies again - but no photos today...

I did get an hour in the shed this afternoon were I ripped a 3mm strip of the Boston Organ timber and remade the arm braces...

I cut & glued/laminated the the same timber in 1.3mm strips along the inside edge of the bucket arms....it's now clamped awaiting the glue to dry....
    Once it's dried, I'll sand it and possibility run the arms through the router again....

Maybe a photo of the finished arms tomorrow....

Has anyone any suggestions on the timber species yet???

Cheers, crowie

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast