Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I Thought this was a TOY FORUM

WHATS GOING ON HERE ITS TURNED INTO A MODEL FORUM.
    iTS THE TREV, kEITH AND NOW JOHNNIE SHOW

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I'm guessing at this point you think our works is in the wrong place.

Cheers
    Trev.

Default lets analyse this

Will you be giving/selling it as a toy for a kid to play with? or will it be on display as a model for people to look at and admire?
    Phil.

crowie is offline Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

To quote from another gent in another thread.....

1. I have absolutely NO problem with you posting this in the toy section -- the working steam engine I had as a kid was a TOY not a model (adults and boys can only be separated by the size/cost of their toys)

Ladies and Gents All,
    IMHO - The friendship and camaraderie, the support and encouragement, the help and assistance is what I feel the forum is all about, so if someone as I have in the past puts a post in what some may consider is an incorrect place, what does it really matter as long as we are all here to enjoy each others company in the cyber mens shed...
    Please ladies and gents lets keep what we have; A GET SOURCE OF FRIENDSHIP AND KNOW-HOW....Cheers, crowie

Quote Originally Posted by Prime mover View Post
    Will you be giving/selling it as a toy for a kid to play with? or will it be on display as a model for people to look at and admire?
    Phil.
    Hey Phil,
    I'm more than happy to discuses/debate the pros and cons of my work.
    But I'd say straight of the bat that Crowie just summed it with his post!

Will you be giving/selling it as a toy for a kid to play with?
    My work is NOT for sell, it's for my own pleasure and hopefully others to enjoy!

Will it be on display as a model for people to look at and admire?
    At times it will be displayed and yes I'm quite sure people will at that point see it as a model.

But when I put an eight year old on it and roll it down a hill it's with out doubt a toy!
    I honestly believe it is a toy and a model at the same time.
    It just depends on the circumstances in which it's seen.

The reason I say it's a toy first is that it's hole point of being is based on making the most elaborate
    Billycart I can.
    In this instance it's more of a Billybike but the intent is the same.

So trying to keep it short I think it's both a toy and a model.

What do you think it is?

Cheers mate
    Trev.

Primemover
    Can I humbly suggest you come down to Melb,have a walk around in our brisk morning air and cool down,as others have said does it matter?

I can't believe I'm weighing in in this topic. When i first came here, I was astounded by the talent. It didnt take me long to realize some people are know it alls. While the replies are often appreciated, some need to learn manners. I think most of us are here to learn and get some positive comments. Are we at different skill levels? Yes. That doesn't mean crap at the end of the day except this. People at different levels should help people who aren't at the same level. People who say, if you aren't familiar with my work, take a look at this and people who say you are doing it wrong, this is how it's done are most times egotistical turds. While I agree that the bike should be in the scale model section due to its extravagant and brilliant complexity, if I don't want to look, I don't. While some are here to drum up business,that's fine also. I have quit posting pictures of projects due to negative comments and rude gestures Talking like two assed parrots just won't cut the cheese. I raced rc cars for several years. People would cheat and cost me money. To fix that, I decided to get back into woodworking its something I could do alone. In closing, I believe we all bring something to the table and if you don't like what you see. Ignore some posts and concentrate on getting better and helping the newbies

Quote Originally Posted by fozzy767 View Post
    I have quit posting pictures of projects due to negative comments and rude gestures.
    If that's the case mate I would encourage you to reconsider.
    I was just having a look at your work great stuff!
    I love the hot rod side of things you have going on.
    Honestly I got half a dozen good idea's from just seeing your work.
    An over the top Sprint Car Billycart there's a thought

I agree with pretty much every word you've said especially in regards to the purpose of the forum.
    It should be all about enjoying our work and that of others, helping where we can and learning along the way!

I fully understand why a lot of people think the things I build are models.
    They can appear far to over the top and extravagant to be toys.
    I don't mind them being either seen or judged that way.
    So long as people hopefully enjoy them.

But to me from the moment I start, I'm trying to build the most believable Billycart/bike that I can.
    To me their Toys before their models.

Still in the end Toys or Models I have great fun making them.
    And no matter how people may see them, if it's with a smile I'm more than happy

Cheers mate
    Trev.

FenceFurniture is offline The prize lies beneath - hidden in full view

Default SAY WHAT???

It's quite clearly a toy. Toys get touched, prodded, pushed, pulled, and sometimes even sat upon.

What's this then eh? Looks to me like a kid who can't wait for the wheels.

"I call the photo Cowboy & Indian."

2/3 scale Indian Straight Four.-img_2038-jpg

Ignore the facial hair - kid's just an early developer, which only means he'll be bald by the time he's 25.

Now that is just a blunt insult to immense talent.

You could try posting pics of your own work and turn it towards the "Phil show". You haven't posted a single pic of your work in the 18 months of posts that I looked at (17 posts, so it didn't take long). Nearest thing to a pic was a couple of links to your sales website.

Completely uncalled for.
    Regards, FenceFurniture

COLT DRILLS GROUP BUY
    Jan-Feb 2019 Click to send me an email

Exclamation

Now boys, Keep it nice!!!

I guess it is easy to mix up toys and models , but really, who cares?

The fact that only three or four are posting at the moment probably has some thing to do with Phil's perception.

I know Phil personally and he is a good bloke. Perhaps he has not put his point of view well but let's give a bit of latitude.

I am more concerned by the remarks of fozzy.

I believe where someone has taken the time and effort to present their work then we should show due appreciation!!

I personally admire the efforts of ALL who are prepared to put heir work up for public scrutiny. Any criticism should be of the constructive and not destructive kind. We are all human and fallible. None of us is perfect.

For a member to fell so belittled that they withdraw from participation is disgraceful, especially when that member is from overseas.

Do some of us feel that all wisdom, creativity and craftsmanship resides soley in Aus.? I bloody well hope not!!

The last thing I wish to do is to start a problem here. If I have posted my build in the wrong place I would hope that a moderator would move it to where it belongs rather than have another member accuse me of trying to become something I'm clearly not! Trevor asked me to post the coach build, so I did. If I did it wrong,just tell me. Don't make snide comments about me trying to become part of a show!
    He who blesses his neighbor in a loud voice, rising early in the morning, it shall be counted as cursing!
    Videos I have made. Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here!
    https://www.youtube.com/user/johnnie52/videos

Hey mate it's a miner thing.
    And more to the point my fault
    I asked you to post the Raiders Coach.
    Fair dinkum you just happened to get tagged onto the end of it,
    and I'm sure there was no intent on anyone's part to have a go at you directly.
    But honestly don't even give it a moments worth of concern.
    This really is a great forum Johnnie and I know you'll really enjoy it!

The best thing at this point is if the powers that be just delete the thread.
    And let's get back to building

Cheers mate.

I asked the moderator if I had placed my build in the incorrect area and cited my reasons for placing in Toymaking area (if you look at my thread). Was told he was not concerned. I said I would place my next build in Scale Modelling if the build was deemed as a "Scale Model". I am sorry if people are offended where I have placed my build - I truly apologise, but as Crowie says sharing ideas and encouraging is one of the focusses and I really don't think it matters where a build is placed. As Trevor says - let's all get back to work enjoying and sharing our building experiences.

Regards

Keith

I do not know where the idea comes from that people are offended, so far I have only seen one winger, that makes a person.

2dworth.jpg
    My 2d worth.
    Hugh

Enough is enough, more than enough is too much.

WHATS GOING ON HERE ITS TURNED INTO A MODEL FORUM.
    I am embarrassed by such pettiness. I invited Johnnie to this site personally from another forum that is potentially collapsing boasting how good our Aussie site is.

Someone else has come in to bat for you and say you are a good bloke. A good bloke will appologise.

Quote Originally Posted by fozzy767 View Post
    I ....... In closing, I believe we all bring something to the table and if you don't like what you see. Ignore some posts and concentrate on getting better and helping the newbies
    Fozzy summed it well and there have been a number of other good comments

There are lots of people who make 'toys' that may never be for sale. There are others that may be for sale but not likely to be really recommended as a play thing.

My wife makes dolls .... dolls are typically thought of as toys. Hers are such that it would be very unusual for someone to 'play' with it like they would a normal doll. It will mostly be on display and showed off. For this reason is it not a doll or toy - I think not.

When I sat on Trev's bike it sure felt like a toy to me and I felt like a big kid ... even if I did have to be careful not to break it

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast