Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default 12 string build advice

So I'm thinking about trying a guitar build and a 12 stringer is my preferred option. I play an Alvarez 12 and it's sweet, but I'd like something with a little more bass projection. Thinking of stringing it in the Rickenbacker electric style with the heavier string first.

several questions:

• what at timber would be best? I'm thinking Qld maple back and sides but sound board is a question.
    • are there any good plans out there - I prefer the jumbo size.
    • good source of timber in the Sydney area?
    • Stewmac best for hardware?

Thanks in advance,
    Peter

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I use chinese hardware from Ebay. I haven't had any problems so far.

I'm doing a 12 string 6 string 12 fret double build at the moment. Silky oak B/S Maple neck. Sitka and Engelmann tops.

Maple is OK for top also. As I said in another thread, it can be hard to find plates without borer holes.
    guitars.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Peter57 View Post
    So I'm thinking about trying a guitar build and a 12 stringer is my preferred option. I play an Alvarez 12 and it's sweet, but I'd like something with a little more bass projection. Thinking of stringing it in the Rickenbacker electric style with the heavier string first.

several questions:

• what at timber would be best? I'm thinking Qld maple back and sides but sound board is a question.
    • are there any good plans out there - I prefer the jumbo size.
    • good source of timber in the Sydney area?
    • Stewmac best for hardware?

Thanks in advance,
    Peter
    1. If its your first build then keep it all as simple as possible. Use back and side wood that's easy to bend....my first choice is always Indian Rosewood. For the top Sitka is my first choice...its not too pricey and it's a more forgiving wood compared to Englemann (dents easily) and other spruces. Lutz spruce is another option....it's very light and stiff.
    2. A standard Jumbo plan should be fine with a few modifications.....I'd add a third tone bar across the lower bout as well as a brace along the back of the bridge plate.
    3. Gilet Guitars are a reputable supplier in the Sydney area.
    4. Hardware.....Stewmac and LMI have good range of hardware and service is up there. There are also local suppliers. Schaller mini tuners look good on a 12 string....in fact I haven't really found anything that looks better.
    5. Your biggest challenge will be getting the compensation right at the saddle. You've got a huge range of string guages and paired strings....good luck!!
    Whatever note you blow youre never more than a semitone away from the correct one....(Miles Davis)

Default WWW show

Thanks for the advice guys. I'd love to use silky oak but I'm allergic to it.
    I'll check out The Gilet stand at this year's WWW show.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter57 View Post
    The alternate stringing of the octave paired strings on the Rickenbacker 360/12 gives a distinctive "jangly" sound. If you want a more bassy sound I'd perhaps look at a dreadnaught body design....it's the body design I usually go for for my 12 strings.
    Whatever note you blow youre never more than a semitone away from the correct one....(Miles Davis)