Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scheppach Combo

Default Scheppach Combo

Theres surprisingly few posts regarding this product, so I was just wanting to see if I can generate any debate.

I just spent the morning doing a little search. Carbatec have teh Scheppach 10" Planer Thicknesser for ~ $1995. The also have a pt260 for $995.

Hare and Forbes (Fiora Machinery here) have a t-260 for $860 (on special)

Timbecon have the a pt-260 again for about $1000 and also the ML-392 for about the same.

Does anyone have experience with the scheppach? is it worth double the price of the 260's and 392.

My other thoughts are that I could pick up the 8 inch jointer (ctj - 350) and a decent thicknesser for $800 (Delta) from Carbatech. This would cost roughly the same as the scheppach. In this case (assuming space is not a problem), which is the better option?

(note: Timbecon are out of stock of 392 and wont have more in till next month, hence why I am still researching this path).

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Space not being a problem I would always go for separate machines. There's nothing like going from one machine to another without having to re-configure a machine. Thats my opinion.

I wish I hadnt gone for a combi now. seemed the best solution at the time and i went for what I thought was a time saving option, hinged rather than removable table...big mistake however as the function change is a real pain.
    I would now definately go for separates and am considering doing just that.
    beejay1
    http://community.webshots.com/user/eunos9

Quote Originally Posted by Termite
    Space not being a problem I would always go for separate machines. There's nothing like going from one machine to another without having to re-configure a machine. Thats my opinion.
    And I doubt whether any of us would argue against that BUT, space and finances always come into it. That's where it's a personal choice. I don't think changing modes on the ML 392 is any bother at all. It's easier than on the 260, that's for certain.
    If at first you don't succeed, give something else a go. Life is far too short to waste time trying.

if you got the cash check out the holz profi professional unit (it was reviewed in wood review not so long back) the jointer tables work like door hinges and not the "remove and spin" method. so if you got 3.7 k you can get a 310mm or for more you cxan get a 410mm or a 510mm combi beast. probably a great machine - AWR liked it. but like you said.... space and convience...
    Zed

I have the Elektra-Beckum that was copied for the T-260. My comments should be read in that context. That said...

Zed is right! If you have the money, buy something better. This machine has its limitations but on the other hand, Zed is mistaken (if I can be so bold), it has its virtues too. It doesn't take up a lot of space for the functions you get. I've put a fair amount of wood through my machine for a hobbiest. It does the job well enough.

Some things to consider.

1. I don't like the fence. It is fairly flimsy and requires careful re-fitting each time it is replaced.

2. The guard system is great. OTOH, many people hate the euro guard systems. I think it is a matter of what you get used to.

3. The machine is light and easy to move around, mostly. The EB wheel set is more than a flipping joke, it's an insult at the price they charge. Make or buy a decent mobile base if you need it and it will be very easy to move around.

4. Make sure the thicknesser table is regularly wiped with wax. Failure to do that can result in a stuck thicknesser, particularly when taking a big bite. It's not bad but it means you need to back off the thicknesser and faff around etc...

5. If you buy one of these machines -- and assuming that the mechanism is similar to EB's -- before you completely assemble the machine, check the tension of the chain that drives the thicknesser table lowering/raising mechanism. Mine was loose and the chain came off. It was a royal PITA to fix as some of the screws kept turning momentarily as the chain came off making the bed out of alignment with the cutting head. To fix this, you need to get the table all the way up or all the way down as best you can with the chain, then get the table all the way down/up one screw at a time. It's not as bad as it sounds especially if are forearmed.

All that said, I will probably buy a larger machine but it will still be a combo.

Hi Redback,
    I too am interested in a Scheppach 10" Planer Thicknesser. Carbatec also suggested to me for the moolah I could get good quality separate machines, which is always better.

But, space is the issue with me, although I could fit two machines. As some one previous has said on this forum, if only I could *iss the wifes car off.

I am very interested in what you buy and on the machine/s performance.

conwood

I'm still deciding.... normally I'm quite a decisive person and sometimes regret that I havent done enough (or any) research and ended up buying the wrong thing. Like I went and bought all Triton gear etc without first researching it, when I might have been better off buying dedicated tablesaws and router tables (saw an awesome router table at carbatec yesterday...). I'm not criticising Triton stuff I just wish I had explored other avenues first.

Anyways...when I said space wasn't an issue, that was just to get an indication on comparison of machinery rather than focusing on space issues..

I have 1/3 of a triple garage for my workshop. Hence If I am prepared to have a number of pieces of machinery mobile, I can move the cars out and utilise the whole garage, hence plenty of space. However, the could become a major pain. But I'm thinking this is the best option.

Otherwise I have to compromise with smaller combo machines that may not do the job(s) that I have planned for the future.

I'm leaning currently towards getting seperate machines, but then I'm now debating on whether I could get away with a 6' jointer, cos the 8' is a very big beast and I also don't want to spend too much, cos I gather I need to also factor in a 2hp dust extractor and also want a Drill Press and maybe a bandsaw one day.

It's a hard decision as the wrong decision could make life difficult later...

I almost bought the t-260 at Fiora yesterday, but then the guy said because it was a special price from Hare and Forbes it had be ordered in, I couldnt take the floor stock. So this made me stop and now Im changin my mind

I'll be interested to see what I end up with too!

RB

Default Planer and Thicknesser

The one problem with buying seperate machines for home use, is that most of the small portable thicknessers ($800 ish) have brush type motors. If you can put up with the noise then go for it. Not a prob with planers, they have induction motors.

Glen.

For anyone interested Northern machinery in Preston had a used 10" Sheppach combo last week for about $1100.

Darren

Redback,
    Know what you mean about how long it takes to decide on gear. These are the most stressful times in my life woddworking gear.
    To further confuse you (cos I am) I went back to thinking separate machines cos you can get 12 and half inch thiknesser for reasonable $. Had a need for one last weekend cleaning nice old wide boards.
    To get 12 and half inch combination is sh%t loads of moulah.

Anyway, when I woke up I was in combo mind again. Too hard.

I started with Triton and now only use other machines. The old Triton is used for ripping and a mobile work bench. Everything is mobile in my shop cos I got cars and kids bikes and stuff.

I'll send some piccies soon when I get my new dig camera soon.

cheers mate.
    conwood

"I almost bought the t-260 at Fiora yesterday, but then the guy said because it was a special price from Hare and Forbes it had be ordered in, I couldnt take the floor stock. So this made me stop and now Im changin my mind "

Make shure that when it arrives they don't add freight AND GST on top of the quoted price! Some suppliers do that. I like buying from a supplier that have the stock on hand........maybe when I need spares he'll have those too. BTW I havn't seen a ML-392 in Carbatec Perth in years.......seems like they don't sell that model at all. There must be a reason for it, maybe ask them and get the full story.

Gatiep, I asked at Carbatec a while ago (posted on this forums) and they stated that they won't stock the 392 anymore...

Anyways, today I finally made a decision. Whilst I would like standalone machines, I decided that I will try the combo machines.

Just ordered a 392, 1 hp dust extractor and drill press from Timbecon, all to arrive on Wednesday. Now, Im supposed to be spending Wednesday studying (Im working on a MCSD.net certification), so thats gonna be mighty tempting!.

The thing is, if some other hitherto un-named company had bothered to respond to enquiries, then I might have gone down a completely different path.

Hopefully I won't have the problems with the 392 as some other members here have had. Timbecon are offering a 12 + 18 month warranty so I'm pretty happy with that.

RB

Well done. Now you can look forward to getting stuck into some serious play-time. let us know what you think but i'm sure you'll be a happy chappy
    If at first you don't succeed, give something else a go. Life is far too short to waste time trying.

I will be very interested in your experience with the ML392 comi planer. The guys at C/T in Perth are very down on this unit. I spotted what appeared to be a new unused C/T ML392 minus any brand label, but in C/T blue, at an auction house recently and when I challenged the C/T guys, they were uncharacteristicly vague, they were not admitting that the ML392 I saw at the auction was from their store, but I wonder....
    This machine is definitely not on display at C/T Balcatta, and there is not much missing from this store which is in the C/T Catalog and they sure don't want to sell anyone one of these beasties.So, let us know what you think Redback.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast