Default Maintaining machine surface

I would appreciate some guidance as to the best method of protecting the machined cast iron surface on a band saw and planer/thicknesser. I am using a product called Zilverglide which is good to reduce friction but does not seem to last long enough on the surface to prevent surface rust. Is it OK to use lanoline for example?
    Thank you.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

It all depends what you are looking for - infrequent use tools, then a spray on like the lanolin based stuff is fine, but if you are using them every day you have to factor in the time taken to wipe clean before use.

An old towel used as a dustcover may be a better solution.

Carabatec guy suggested to me that silverglide could be put on reasonably thick (ie. Not buffed off) and left.

Then when the time comes to use the machine, buff off.

I tried on my thicknesser, and seems to work, but machine was only at rest for a week or two. I live in coastal area, so night air is wet and salty.

On my jointer, I am using ubeaut traditional wax, and over time with repeated applications, it seems to keeping rust at bay, but she is pretty old so its hard to tell.
    Glenn Visca

I don't find Silbergleit good at all for rust prevention, only slipperiness. I always spray my tables with either WD40 or RP7 if they are only going to be sitting for a short time. If it is going to be longer I spray them with Inox which is a lot heavier. My machines also get some form of cover over them, even if it is only an old sheet. Keeping the dust off seems to help.

Yes .. I think dust protection is pretty important too.

My grandfather tended toward canvass ... Not sure if he figured it stopped moisture (that a sheet or Rowell would absorb or hold) .. or whether its just what he had.
    Glenn Visca

I use Minwax finishing paste.

It gives a good smooth glide, wont clag up the wood pores or interfere with finishes and stops the tables from rusting. I have a baby nappy I use and keep just and only for this purpose. There is a lot on it, so a quick wipe at the end of the day (after vacuum and dust) is wonderful.

I use Blaster The Dry Lube, the machinery service people I use sells them to the commercial user, they are very effective in slipperiness and rust prevention. not dirt cheap though.

The-Dry-Lube.jpg

I clean off with WD40 then whatever wax polish I have. Sawdust left on machines absorbes moisture so sweep or vacume at the end of a session. I probably wax about 2 times a year but a lot depends on where you live. There is no magic substance that will last for ever so you have to keep at it as required.
    Regards
    John

Nothing and I mean nothing will work as well as coving the table with something.

What you are looking for is something anything that prevents direct contact with the air.

I've many imes left something on the metal bench tops and founf it clean underneath and rusty arround the uncovered areas.

wax, wd40 or silveglide crtainly wont hurt, but nothing competes with some sort of cover.

a piece of board, canvas, cardboard, brown paper old table cloth .....impregnate the preceeding with mineral oil if it makes you feel better.......even plastic.

But you want to keep the air and thus the moisture from direct contact with the surface.

cheers
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.
    Abrasives can be just as dangerous as a blade.....and 10 times more painfull.