Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Huon Pine box. Finish darkening over time.

I made a Huon Pine box about 18 months ago & have had it on a bedside table since then, not in direct sun. The nice light Huon colour is darkening. I cannot recall what I used to finish this particular box but I usually use Danish Oil & some have had a clear satin finish from a spray can. Can anyone clarify which types of finishes will not darken over time?

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Most woods darken over time.
    anne-maria.
    T
    ea Lady

(White with none)
    Follow my little workshop/gallery on facebook. things of clay and wood.

Quote Originally Posted by tea lady View Post
    Most woods darken over time.

In fact I count on the wood darkening. I plan the piece so it looks its best when it does.

Most whitish woods will go a pale yellow, even Ebony will go darker. Look at the colour of the timber before you cut it and consider that it is likely to finish somewhat like that colour in a year or two. Unless you do something like stain it of course.

Its like wood movement. We design to allow for it because its more sensible than trying to prevent it. Understand the properties of our chosen medium and work with it, not against it.

Cheers

Doug
    I got sick of sitting around doing nothing - so I took up meditation.

Finished Huon darkens as it ages. From blonde to a muted sunrise orange.
    Pat
    Work is a necessary evil to be avoided. Mark Twain

Yep Huon darkens to a deep honey colour and if it's figured timber it will look amazing especially if it's polished.
    l
    If it's a plain piece of timber and it's oiled it will usually look a bit ordinary.

As everybody has already said Huon will always darken over time whether you use a finish or just leave it natural.I Chip Carve all my boxes and use Wattyl Satin Estapol spray. An am more than happy with the results over time.

Default limiting the yellowing/darkening

It is only natural that the timber will yellow or deepen incolour with time. The depth of “colour” though would be dependent on the timberitself, the coating, as well as the amount of light it is exposed to...to namebut a few. However, with minimal effort, one can dictate the colour...if onewanted to.

Yes, most woodworkers and furniture makers want to work withthe timbers own colour but to stop a timber from yellowing with a clearcoating, oil or varnish and everything in-between...one can use the Kunosnatural oil sealer in the white stain. The white will give a transparent look, more of thecolour of the timber when it is freshly sanded depending on the sanding.To obtain the maximum penetration of whitepigments, ensure the timber is sanded anywhere from 120-240 depending on the project.The finer the sand, the less pigments that penetrate, the less white it is.

It’s not everyone’s cup of tea...but an option.

Livos Australia

<O</O

Default The high oil content in Huon Pine causes darkening

Quote Originally Posted by lesterz View Post
    I made a Huon Pine box about 18 months ago & have had it on a bedside table since then, not in direct sun. The nice light Huon colour is darkening. I cannot recall what I used to finish this particular box but I usually use Danish Oil & some have had a clear satin finish from a spray can. Can anyone clarify which types of finishes will not darken over time?
    I believe the high oil content causes the darkening. Personally, I like that, and count on it.
    regards
    David