Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Chisel ID

Default Chisel ID

I wonder if anyone can help me identify these eBay chisels: Mannen nomi. The finish looks a bit rough, and the lamination looks okay, not excellent. Shirogashi handles? The price tags on them certainly indicate they're cheap, but who knows how old those are. In any case, I don't think I'd buy them, too much uncertainty, but I'm curious if they're a decent deal or if they're exactly as cheap as they seem to be.

A second question: Fujikawa Maruya, or Lee Valley Ioroi? I'm leaning towards Fujikawa, but opinions would be cool.

Cheers.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I would not buy them. The stickers say 1050 Yen each which is 12 dollars a chisel. These are the very bottom of the price barrel. AND he is asking basicly $25 for each chisel. Secondly the lamination do not draw up the sides of the chisel, consistently. Forging the high carbon steel up the sides is done to give the chisel more rigidity. The lamination’s are all over the place, bulging, thinning, or being just absent in places. For the price of $250 you could buy three very nice Ouchi or four Koyamaichi, or four Kikuhiromaru.

You do not need a full set of 10 chisels. In practice you will use the 6mm, 9mm, 12mm the most as this is the sizes used for Mortice/tenons & dovetails in furniture scale construction. A 24mm and a 42mm are two very useful sizes. That is only a total of five chisels at the most you will need.

If you buy your chisels piece meal you can buy better tools and spread the cost out over time and buy the sizes as you need them, Since postage from Japan for a single chisel is cheap under $5.

I would buy 'Yasaku' oire-nomi from Stuart from tools from Japan, over the 'Maruya'. A better chisel for not much more money.

Another one to consider on the budget is Japan Tool - Chisels -Togihide.

Quote Originally Posted by thumbsucker View Post
    I would not buy them. The stickers say 1050 Yen each which is 12 dollars a chisel. These are the very bottom of the price barrel. AND he is asking basicly $25 for each chisel. Secondly the lamination do not draw up the sides of the chisel, consistently. Forging the high carbon steel up the sides is done to give the chisel more rigidity. The lamination’s are all over the place, bulging, thinning, or being just absent in places. For the price of $250 you could buy three very nice Ouchi or four Koyamaichi, or four Kikuhiromaru.

You do not need a full set of 10 chisels. In practice you will use the 6mm, 9mm, 12mm the most as this is the sizes used for Mortice/tenons & dovetails in furniture scale construction. A 24mm and a 42mm are two very useful sizes. That is only a total of five chisels at the most you will need.

If you buy your chisels piece meal you can buy better tools and spread the cost out over time and buy the sizes as you need them, Since postage from Japan for a single chisel is cheap under $5.

I would buy 'Yasaku' oire-nomi from Stuart from tools from Japan, over the 'Maruya'. A better chisel for not much more money.

Another one to consider on the budget is Japan Tool - Chisels -Togihide.
    Thanks for the advice, it pretty much confirms what I was thinking (although I didn't think the lamination was that horrible, I've seen worse on eBay). I had no intention of buying them, but when I see something like that, sometimes I do wonder whether someone can see something I can't. I've been putting together a piece meal set of paring chisels, and have been happy with the results, and will likely do the same with bench chisels. You're right about not needing a set of ten, and I wouldn't buy that many. Four or five, tops. I was looking at budget chisels as I'm the barest of hobbiest, but I certainly wouldn't be opposed to a few Ouchi or Kikuhiromaru. Something to think about.

dmccurtis you seem all sensible.

Compare the lamination line between the photos below.

ViewImage.aspx.jpgIchihiro_Oiire_Ebony3.jpg

Ha, I'm not sure 'all sensible' is how I would describe myself, but I'll take that and run with it. I agree that the lamination on these 'Mannen' is damn wonky (and those Ichihiro are art). I was meaning that in comparison to some of the eBay specials I've seen with diagonal laminations, and jigane blown out into the edge, that these could be worse.

Thanks for mentioning the Yasaku. I was considering them, but wasn't sure how much the Maruya give up in comparison to them. If it is just fit and finish, I can deal with that. If they sacrifice performance, realistically that's probably fine for me, but I'd rather not compromise there if I don't have to.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by dmccurtis View Post
    wasn't sure how much the Maruya give up in comparison to them. If it is just fit and finish, I can deal with that.
    Send Stuart an email and ask him he is most helpful in such matters. Tell him your needs and constraints and he can give you sound advice.

Quote Originally Posted by thumbsucker View Post
    Send Stuart an email and ask him he is most helpful in such matters. Tell him your needs and constraints and he can give you sound advice.
    Already done. Having dealt with Stu a number of times, I trust his advice implicitly. Always happy to give him my money.

chisels in op look like what you get at the local version of big w...ok if you need a $10 chisel....interesting touch to leave price on...
    Semtex fixes all

Quote Originally Posted by q9 View Post
    chisels in op look like what you get at the local version of big w...ok if you need a $10 chisel....interesting touch to leave price on...
    Yeah, quite bold to leave the sticker on so plainly, which made me want to give the benefit of a doubt that they may be old stock, despite appearances to the contrary.