Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Drill Press - Runout

Just looking for a reality check!

What would you expect as 'acceptable' runout on a new drill press ($1000-1500)?

I bought one a little while ago and have been having trouble drilling quality work on it, the runout is bad enough to not be able to use any other drills other that bradpoint (as they tend to steady the drill bit).
    Using a wagner safety plane is also impossible and other items you would hope to use on a good drill press.

I've measured the runout and its around .4-.5mm from resting to full extension, is this acceptable or am i being pedantic?

Cheers
    Glenn

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

If I paid that much then I would expect zero. Is there a grub screw on the machine body (usually left hand side) that will allow you to tighten any slop in the quill that could be causing excessive runout?

At that price range I would expect it to be much better that what you are measuring. A lot of the cheaper Chinese units have a poor quill bore in the head casting, with the bore being bell mouthed due to using a boring bar tool with too much flex for the distance involved, or high production/low accuracy machining methods. With this problem, the issue appears with the quill having freedom to wander at all points other than fully extended or fully retracted, where mechanical stops tend to come into play and jamb the quill into position.
    My test for a long time has been to grasp the quill mechanism with one hand and feed the quill through a full range of travel while rattling the quill with the hand holding it. Often you find the quilll free to move in X and Y axis as soon as the quill collar moves away from the head casting, being constrained again once the end or depth stops come into play, often with the stop cocking the quill to one side.
    Burnsey's comment about the grub screw helping with limiting movement of a free quill should work, provided that cocking the quill to one side permanently is acceptable. A lot of people would not bother to check that the quill is at right angles to the quill travel, so the misallignment induced would not be noticed by them, but I suspect that you might notice it. You however might be able to adjust the table tilt to compensate.
    Alternatively, the issue could be related to the quill taper, chuck taper and arbour combination, which need to be scrupulously clean prior to assembly. Were the chuck and arbour assembled when you unpacked the unit, or did you have to connect them. If you had to connect them, did you clean all packing grease etc from both parts with a solvent before assembly?
    I would certainly be speaking to the supplier if an item in that price range had that degree of error, and mentioning not fit for purpose in the discussion.
    I used to be an engineer, I'm not an engineer any more, but on the really good days I can remember when I was.

Runout of that magnitude on a machine of that value is definitely not acceptable. Is the movement in the looseness of the quill in the housing, runout of the chuck itself, or runout of the drill in the chuck?

Hi Guys - Thanks for the responses, its confirms how i have been feeling... frustrated!
    I've only ever owned cheaper drill presses so i expected a lot more from this, unfortunately when I bought it it sat for a year and i only just got a chance to start using, that being said its out of warranty.

I've check most of what you have mentioned below (the chuck and arbor where also already assembled, tightening of the grub screw on the side etc), my gut feeling is that the quill taper is slight of center and has been machined incorrectly.

I have dropped it back to where I bought it and they are having a look at it to see what they can do which is good. fingers crossed, its a nice piece if only for the runout!

Will let you know what we find

Thanks again i appreciate it
    Cheers
    Glenn