Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Update to Carbatec 15"Thicknesser

I have just updated my Carbatec 15" thicknesser with a SP 5Hp motor following an issue with the original 3Hp unit. I suspect the use of the Helical cutter head can cause some power issues when thicknessing 350mm wide boards in local hardwoods although if fine cuts of less than 1mm are made this is not an issue. I have also noticed that Grizzly in the USA do sell this machine with a $200 optional 5Hp SP 220V motor. It was quite a bit of work building a new adjustable mounting frame for the new motor that weighed in at nearly 45Kgs and getting it correctly aligned. Also needed a new DOL starter unit,32amp plug and switched wall socket plus a new 4mm supply line from the sub-board-all up a good investment at $500. Have put through a few hundred metres of 300mm mountain ash with excellent results even at higher feed rates.
    Cheers,
    Paintman

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Interesting...

I have plans to change to a spiral head in the future. But i have rarely planed boards that wide and always take reasonably small bites.

Hopefully i have no issues.

Steven.

Would love to see some photos of your mods if possible Paintman.

Quote Originally Posted by PaintMan View Post
    ....I suspect the use of the Helical cutter head can cause some power issues when thicknessing 350mm wide boards in local hardwoods ....
    Sometime last year I converted my 15" Carbatec thicknesser from a 3 blade cutter head to a helical cutter head I have to dis-agree. As the 3 blade, with its 3 individual blades the full width of the cutter head that takes off huge shaving has got to cause more heavy work/power issues, and even more so when they become blunt, than a multi bladed cutter head that takes off fine shavings.
    Experienced in removing the tree from the furniture

Quote Originally Posted by rod1949 View Post
    Sometime last year I converted my 15" Carbatec thicknesser from a 3 blade cutter head to a helical cutter head I have to dis-agree. As the 3 blade, with its 3 individual blades the full width of the cutter head that takes off huge shaving has got to cause more heavy work/power issues, and even more so when they become blunt, than a multi bladed cutter head that takes off fine shavings.
    Hi Rod,
    Yes I agree the shavings produced with the Byrd Helical cutters are much finer and I would certainly not revert to the original set up. I have also noticed the Felder/Hammer guys make a big point about their system having much lower power consumption than the standard units but they do have only 42 odd cutters against the 75 on my unit. I think the finish with the helical Byrd unit is most notable on difficult blackwood yielding no tearout. The overall key point may be the use of over heavy removal per pass that has been an issue in the past where I had timber that is flat on one side but has 2-3mm thickness variation on the other.
    Cheers,
    Paintman

Was it difficult to do? Would love to know how you went about this.

Cheers,,
    ajw

Rod, what did the cutter head set you back? I would love to put one on my Jet eventually.

ajw and Burnsy here the link to my post on the conversion https://www.woodworkforums.com/159685...tec-ctj-381-a/
    Experienced in removing the tree from the furniture

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    Would love to see some photos of your mods if possible Paintman.
    Here are a couple of photos
    Attached Images Attached Images