Default Advice needed on shed floor

Hi All, I have a 1940's Shed approx 6m x 5m, The problem is the floor doesn't have one flat area in it and I want to replace the floor. The bottom plate is directly on top of the slab and bolted down, Is it possible to hold up the wall with acrow props and then cut the old concrete floor out and relay it in either 2 or 4 parts, another issue I have is that it also has a tiled roof.
    Any help is greatly appreciated in this as I want to get my workshop sorted out so that I can start using it and enjoy some shed time,
    Cheers,
    Richie Rich.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Not sure I understand the layout. Any chance of a cross sectional sketch showing the footings, the slab, the bearers you mention, the walls and the roof in one drawing please?

Some photos of the problem areas would be great too, save 1,00's of words
    regards,

Dengy

From what I understand, you have a floor that isn't level or even? If that's the case I would b easier to pour a self levelling overlay to achieve a uniform, level floor. I feel that would be easier than trying to lift the building to replace the concrete.

Hi All, I have taken a few photos of the floor to try and show what I am up against, I have had one rough quote to level the floor at $5000.00 which doesn't include grinding the high spots down, also if the cracks open up any more that would be a waste of time as the floor would just open up again.
    If anyone can help it will be greatly appreciated,
    Many Thanks,
    Richieworkshop floor 2.jpgworkshop floor 3.jpgworkshop floor 4.jpgWorkshop Floor.jpg

Hi Richie, first thing about the floor cracks, are there any trees in close proximity that could be causing the cracking? If there are, I would dig outside the slab to cut the roots, or if you can get access to a trench digger (I hate Manuel Labour) as these will cause the problem again.
    The way I would go about it, is to do one side first, lifting the side to just come away from the existing concrete. You may need to put 2 acrows under each roof truss. Cutting the bolts under the bearer, then dig a foundation under the bearer approx 300-400 deep and 300 wide, fit reinforcing bars and mesh on the floor area, to help hold it together, tie the mesh and reinforcing bars, (replace the bolts with 200mm+ galvanised bent into a J to hold in the concrete) coming in about a metre wide, leave some mesh outside the concrete area to help bind it together on the centre slabs. Then do the other side and centre slabs the same way. If you try to do it all at once there will be problems of movement in the roof area. I know this may be a bit of over kill on the foundation but if you're going to do it might as well do it right.
    Kryn

Have you considered dyna bolting some bearers to the existing concrete & laying a wooden floor. I would love a wooden floor in my woodwork shed. That might work out cheaper & easier.

Steve
    The fact remains, that 97% of all statistics are made up, yet 87% of the population think they are real.

Exclamation

That certainly IS a problem!!

Maybe Ticky's suggestion will work out for you.

There are a lot more issues at stake here than meets the eye.

SAFETY of yourself and propping up a tile roof, I think it is a conventional roof, not trusses.

Get a qualified builder to assess it, or building consultant.

With the issues that you cant see, ONLY a site inspection / assessment of a professional will give you an accurate and honest answer.
    The person who never made a mistake never made anything

Cheers
    Ray

Hi All, This is why this forum is such a great place, many thanks for all your responses, I have a lot to consider and wade through, I have already had one quote which involved getting a crane and lifting the shed roof off and then removing all the walls, slab and relaying a new slab, @ $ 20,000 this is way above my budget and more than the shed is worth, I will get some more quotes and see if I can get something reasonable, If not I'm thinking Ticky's idea might have a lot of merit, Once again many thanks for your help, it is much appreciated, Cheers Richie.

To put things in perspective, how much would a new 6 x 5m shed cost, with a decent concrete floor, and nicely insulated?
    regards,

Dengy