Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
    I_wanna_Shed is offline Now I've got a 6x7m shed! I need a new name...

Default Rodent proof gap filler

Hello,

Does anyone know of a gap filler that is mouse/rat proof?

Mice are getting in to my shed through the gap between my shed's slab and the 'outbound' protrusions of the colorbond wall sheeting (know what I mean?).

They keep getting in a different crapping all over everything. I'm thinking it must be a rat - droppings are huge.

I've read Selleys No More Gaps is able to be chewed through, even if you put steel wool in the hole first.

Has anybody else successfully come up with a barrier?

I am also lining the inside of the shed with plywood, so the filler would need to be permanent (the ply would stop the rats from coming into the shed unless they chew through the ply too, but with my luck a rat would crawl up behind the plywood to die and stink the shed out).

Thanks,
    Nathan.
    Last edited by I_wanna_Shed; 19th August 2014 at 04:11 PM. Reason: .

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

You could machine up some scrap timber lengths into a reasonably good fit in the corrugated holes, cut the timber into suitable lengths and hold them in place with a dob of silicone or liquid nails etc. I appreciate there may be a fair quantity required, but a bit of time on the table saw then docking to length shouldn't take all that long, plus some crawling around assuming you haven't got too much stuff stored up against the wall.

Let's see what others come up with.

Alan...

What you need is a snake, to keep the rodent population in check. I have had my shed here for 33 years and in that time I have had 3 Brown Snakes and a Tiger Snake. There is also Mrs Possum that lives in one of 2 home units I installed over the roller doors for her and her babies. Not so long ago I could here some tussling going on inside the shed and assumed it was the Possums but when I turned the lights on there was in deed 2 Possums, but they were watching 2 Rats having a play. Then one of the Brown Snakes turned up only a little while later.
    In my case there is no way to keep any of the critters out. We live in a rural estate with bush 100 metres away and long grass right up to our house yard fence. The shed is on ground level so trying to keep anything out is a useless task.
    I do put Talon out for the rodents. I find it works better than Ratsac
    Just do it!

Kind regards Rod

Rat poison is the best choice.

What manufacturer and product profile is the wall cladding?

Is the cladding hard against the floor / slab or is there a gap between the cladding and then the profile gap?

Depending on your answers I can give you 2 methods to solve your problem
    The person who never made a mistake never made anything

Cheers
    Ray

Toowoomba and Online at www.shedblog.com.au

Hi Nathan, this is a popular vermin seal product designed for fitting retrospectively.

cheers, David
    Steel Sheds in Australia Helpful information for people looking to buy, build, extend or renovate a steel shed. www.shedblog.com.au

Default Vermin Seal Suggestion

We've just built a garage (standard corrugated Colorbond profile) and I've bought these, though not yet installed, to hopefully solve (prevent) the same problem. Link: shedproducts.com/prod3-retroseal.html from Campbell Shed Products in Grafton.

Cheers,

Mark

The Shed Blog covers the topic perfectly, forget what I said, go with their product.

I didn't know that the product existed, but what I was going to suggest is almost identical.
    The person who never made a mistake never made anything

Cheers
    Ray

I_wanna_Shed is offline Now I've got a 6x7m shed! I need a new name...

Quote Originally Posted by rwbuild View Post
    What manufacturer and product profile is the wall cladding?

Is the cladding hard against the floor / slab or is there a gap between the cladding and then the profile gap?

Depending on your answers I can give you 2 methods to solve your problem
    Quote Originally Posted by Shedblog Au View Post
    Hi Nathan, this is a popular vermin seal product designed for fitting retrospectively.

cheers, David
    Thanks Shedblog - that product looks great. I'll look into it. Any guide on its price?

rwbuild, thanks for your help. I was going to head out to the shed tonight and check the name of the profile.

Nathan.

Nathan son showed me his gutter proofing material its to keep the feathered type of rodent out stainless steel mesh same as used on quality screen doors. I can see if he can get another roll of off cut but will need to be quick not sure how long he'll be at same company. They are doing as many have done Asia bound.

A for Ratsack great stuff but not for dogs or kids.

GordoB91 Guest

Can of expanding foam

Toowoomba and Online at www.shedblog.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by I_wanna_Shed View Post
    Thanks Shedblog - that product looks great. I'll look into it. Any guide on its price?

rwbuild, thanks for your help. I was going to head out to the shed tonight and check the name of the profile.

Nathan.

Hi Nathan, if you scroll down to the bottom of the page you'll see prices for vermin seal products.

cheers, David
    Steel Sheds in Australia Helpful information for people looking to buy, build, extend or renovate a steel shed. www.shedblog.com.au