Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default *Help needed with drum build, from someone with woodworking knowledge*

Hey folks! I'm an independant drum builder, and have a question for someone that is a tad more "tool-savvy" than I am. I'm wanting to cut down on all my manual sanding time, and make my life a bit easier. I have seen some folks set up wood lathe machines to mount drums on, and spin them for quick and easy sanding, staining, and so on. Nobody ever explains how to actually mount the shell onto the lathe, and give any info on whether or not a special jig needs to be made. Also, I believe to spin a 22" or larger drum, I believe only certain lathes will accommodate for this. If anyone can help me out with some info, I'd be ETERNALLY grateful! Cheers!

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Hmm. Yes. A special jig might need to be made. And a bowl lathe for such big diameters. Can you narrow down your location? I am in Melbourne.
    anne-maria.
    T
    ea Lady

(White with none)
    Follow my little workshop/gallery on facebook. things of clay and wood.

A conical head and tail stock would possibly work, but you'll need a lathe with a big swing. I'm not familiar with bowl lathes but one of them might work.
    You'd be sanding across the grain though, rather than with it.

Quote Originally Posted by ozcan View Post
    If anyone can help me out with some info, I'd be ETERNALLY grateful! Cheers!

A while back one of our members turned a Djembe and posted a WIP on how he did it. This is the link to his WIP and may be of interest to you as to how it was help on a lathe.

As you can see it is not too easy and not a job for a beginner, alsothe initial setup costs just to make sanding easy doesn't make sense.

Peter.

Why a lathe? Why not just a slow running grinder with forms of varying width? If the grinder runs too quickly you may need to use belts etc to get a slow running speed. You need to remember that the velocity of the outside of the rim can be many metres per second.

Maybe rims from old minis or kids bikes could be adapted.
    "We must never become callous. When we experience the conflicts ever more deeply we are living in truth. The quiet conscience is an invention of the devil." - Albert Schweizer

My blog. http://theupanddownblog.blogspot.com

It really depends on what type of drum you are making and what level of finish you are after. Some small trim planes can be faster and give a better finish than sanding. On the other hand I know of fewer finer ways to turn wood into sawdust than an angle grinder with a sanding disc on it. A lazy Susan bearing an spin it with the angle grinder running against it.

Quote Originally Posted by titchtheclown View Post
    It really depends on what type of drum you are making and what level of finish you are after. Some small trim planes can be faster and give a better finish than sanding. On the other hand I know of fewer finer ways to turn wood into sawdust than an angle grinder with a sanding disc on it. A lazy Susan bearing an spin it with the angle grinder running against it.
    Ah . Lazy susan might work. Sander just on a drill. Grinder a bit brutal. I sand bowl with a drill with the lathe stopped and the pressure of the sander spins it around too. STill need a way to hold it. Perhaps even just a cut out circle of thick mdr to fit inside the rim.
    anne-maria.
    T
    ea Lady

(White with none)
    Follow my little workshop/gallery on facebook. things of clay and wood.

Quote Originally Posted by tea lady View Post
    Ah . Lazy susan might work. Sander just on a drill. Grinder a bit brutal. I sand bowl with a drill with the lathe stopped and the pressure of the sander spins it around too. STill need a way to hold it. Perhaps even just a cut out circle of thick mdr to fit inside the rim.
    A grinder with a sanding disc is not a bit brutal. It is a lot brutal.

For smoothing down this little beauty can not be faulted for the price
    http://m.supercheapauto.com.au/Produ...ne-Mini/321712

Masters have an identical looking one. I bought the 14.95 kobalt block plane as well and had to pull it apart to get the adjusting screw seated properly but now it works great.

https://www.masters.com.au/

The Stanley surform rasps also come in handy sizes for smoothing down around curves.
    http://www.stanleytools.com/default....3174%3B+Shaver

I wouldn't bother pursuing any further options any more as the original poster (ozcan) hasn't been on anymore after having made his original request. Cannot understand how he can be helped if he doesn't even look at the replies.

Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturdee View Post
    I wouldn't bother pursuing any further options any more as the original poster (ozcan) hasn't been on anymore after having made his original request. Cannot understand how he can be helped if he doesn't even look at the replies.

Peter.
    Other people do. These forums are all about sharing ideas between ourselves, not just for the benefit of the poster.