Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Cheque Book.

I haven't needed to write a cheque ever since the penalties payment office went electronic. Now if only I didn't t have to keep up my annual speeding subscription

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I found the change to internet banking very stressful at first as I had no one to hold my hand and after all it was my admittedly very small amount of money I was worried about that might disappear into the ether, entirely unfounded of course but real at the time. I can understand the older person (like me) being reluctant to enter the cyber banking world but in the end it simplifies life. The banks are making it easier as well, just recently Westpac changed their website and it is hugely better than before. I needed some statements for my tax return so I went on line and printed them, interest paid during the year is available but the best one is paying bills. The payment can be set up as soon as the bill is received and timed to be paid a day before the due date which appeals to me as they haven't got my money any sooner than they need it.
    CHRIS

Quote Originally Posted by Mulgabill View Post
    Wow Sturdee! That brings back some memories! When as a teenager I worked for one of the big 4 (or 6 as was then) and one of my jobs was checking signatures on larger cheques, I can't remember the amount of the cheques but it was pre-decimal.
    Those were the days.

I started work in 1962 for the Bank of New South Wales as a junior, at a branch where we still had handwritten ledgers, and quickly moved through the various positions at various branches until I was promoted to the Melbourne overseas department and ended up being only one of five official signatures in Melbourne able to sign overseas transactions for all the Victorian branches.

That became rather depressing so I left for a better offer of double the pay and free food and drinks at that iconic place in the hills, the "Swagman Restaurant".

Both great places to work and brings back many memories.

I still have a cheque book on my savings account, all no fees, and write maybe one a year but would not like to lose the ability to issue a bill of exchange payable on demand at my bank.

Peter.

Default The C B.

Hi again,
    Great to read all the responses, BUT, I still can't get my Left Handed Cheque Book. Bummmerrrr.
    Regards,
    issatree.
    Have Lathe, Wood Travel.

Life is tough sometimes
    CHRIS

Quote Originally Posted by issatree View Post
    Hi again,
    Great to read all the responses, BUT, I still can't get my Left Handed Cheque Book. Bummmerrrr.
    Lewis,

Have you thought of tearing the cheque form out of the book prior to writing it out and then filling out the stub, seems a simple solution but I'm not left handed so wouldn't know.

Peter.

Default The Stub.

Hi Peter,
    Actually it is the Stub, that is usually the problem. Getting over it is the hard bit. Could pull it apart, but we like to keep it intact, as it is kind of receipt, & you can go back & have a look to see if you have paid or not.
    Regards,
    issatree.
    Have Lathe, Wood Travel.

I'm also not a leftie (lefty) whichever is more politically correct.

would it be logical to spin the cheque book upside down and fill in the stub this way? Write your cheque still in the book or out but I am sure you could get used to flipping the stubs from "the other way".

Hi again,
    Hey Lewis, Turn you book upside down. John.

Many years ago , even before computer became the norm, I used to work for a major bank when the decision was made to stop checking the cheques for correct details as the cost of checking and dishonouring them for minor details was more expensive then the occasional time when it went wrong.
    So maybe the banks could explain why it still takes the best part of a week to clear a cheque?
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook

Don't start trying to bring logic into any thread concerning banks.
    CHRIS

Default The Upside Down Cheque.

Hi John & All,
    Yes, I did that once, but they don't like it one little bit.

Righting on the Stub, the other way sounds good but, then I will have trouble with The Domestic Treasurer, as She is Right Handed.

I'm starting to think I might put some pressure on NAB for Left Handed Books, & letting them know that Wespac have one.
    I will try the Main Branch in the City, & see what they say.

Maybe some of you think this is petty. OK, then, you have a go at being L/ Handed, & I'm not having a go at our Ambidextrous Friends. I dare say you have seen a L/H with their hand all the way around above the Book, while Writing Above the Book, & facing down. Looks even worse to me.
    Regards,
    issatree.
    Have Lathe, Wood Travel.

Hi Lewis,

The cheque book we have with NAB doesn't have the stub. Earlier in the book there is a section (one page) where you will out the individual cheque details, then further on the cheques just remove from the book without the stub section. If you don't have any trouble writing on the cheque section then this may be the solution. If I recall correctly I think NAB called it a compact cheque book or something like that.
    Now proudly sponsored by Binford Tools. Be sure to check out the Binford 6100 - available now at any good tool retailer.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexS View Post
    So maybe the banks could explain why it still takes the best part of a week to clear a cheque?
    Rather simple really, it's the physical transfer of the cheque from your bank branch to the paying bank branch, both via their head offices.

Then the paying branch has 24 hours from receipt of the cheque to decide if they will honour it. In the event of them not honouring the cheque they post it back to your bank branch via good old Australia post who will take at least two days to deliver it.

In no time a week has gone and with Aussie post soon to go to 3 deliveries a week it will take even longer. Of course you can pay for a direct clearance, with phone confirmation, if urgent.

Peter.

Maybe some of you think this is petty. OK, then, you have a go at being L/ Handed, & I'm not having a go at our Ambidextrous Friends. I dare say you have seen a L/H with their hand all the way around above the Book, while Writing Above the Book, & facing down. Looks even worse to me.
    I'm sorry Lewis if you think I was having a go but never having seen a L/H write a cheque I didn't realise it was a big problem.

Peter.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast