Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Default Do I need a Domino? / What do you use yours for?

Ok,

So it may seem like a silly question but I was interested to hear from Domino users what you use it for and if it would be worth me investing in one. I'm not one to try and keep up with the Jones however we are planning an extension on our house and as a result I see the opportunity to undertake a number of projects myself to help save some dollars. I can justify the cost of the Domino (and perhaps a dust extractor (vac) if needed) if I will get enough use out of it for the projects I had in mind.

These are the sort of projects that I need to undertake:

• Walk in Robe Joinery - Standard melamine construction (although perhaps adding hardwood edging) typical open shelving, drawers and hang space;
    • Vanity Units - Likely to be solid timber tops for vanity units - ie edge jointing 40-50mm thick boards for top;
    • Dining Table - Large dining table (design and leg construction unknown but will require joining of the top);
    • Buffet - Similar sort of design and details to this designer/manufacturer (http://www.bomboracustomfurniture.co...ards-buffets);
    • TV cabinet - Similar design / construction to buffet.

Timbers are most likely going to be messmate or spotted gum.

I do have a biscuit jointer that I haven't used much, but the above projects are not the sort of work than I would typically undertake. I guess I could always sell it after I finish the projects but I am keen to hold onto tools as they generally have further uses down the track. Im am leaning towards it being useful for the solid timber projects, but would it have any use in the melamine construction?

I have watched a few you tube videos and understand the concept of the Domino but I would be interested to hear how it is being used on real world projects and if it would be of considerable benefit in the projects I have in mind. From what I have read it needs to be connected to the shop vac? If so that is another expense I will need to consider (although that will be handy in the future).

Cheers

Stinky
    Now proudly sponsored by Binford Tools. Be sure to check out the Binford 6100 - available now at any good tool retailer.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

FenceFurniture is offline The prize lies beneath - hidden in full view

Yeah, needs a shop vac. I think it's a game changing machine. Putting together a carcase is really fast, loose or tight tenons for tabletops etc.

Fletty bought one essentially to do the slats on his chairs (current thread). That is to say, not for use with the actual dominoes, but his slats were planned to be about the same shape, so he modified them a touch to coincide. What I'm getting at is the versatility that it brings.
    Regards, FenceFurniture

COLT DRILLS GROUP BUY
    Jan-Feb 2019 Click to send me an email

Hi Sir Stinky,

A Domino is primarily a digger of holes. Yes they are of certain sizes, but they're just holes. I use my Domino for many things like;

Through mortises on timber up to 50mm thick,
    Stopped Dadoes for the bases of boxes with finger joinery
    rebating an edge on the back of a cupboard or cabinet
    4mm dominoes for holding smaller picture frames together

as well as the routine stuff where you want to get clean joinery with secure Tenons.
    and table tops where the dominoes pull the boards into line while gluing up.

If you are doing an extension, you may want to look at the big daddy domino. It provides larger dominoes with deeper mortises and would be very useful for jointing structural timber and thicker boards.

But the 150 is a great machine for most jobs around the shed.

I've had mine for 8 years now and it hasn't missed a beat, despite heavy and demanding work. (still use the same cutters!)

I would also recommend a Festool Shop vac to go with it. The domino is efficient at producing and pushing out waste, so a powerful vac is really a necessity. The Festool vacs are adjustable as far as suction goes and this is useful when using a ROS. Different suction strengths can have a marked effect on the performance of such a sander.

You will not regret buying the Domino, or the vac. I am sure you will find ways to use it, like I did. Just remember that it just digs holes, big small, narrow, wide and tall or short.

Regards,

Rob

Thanks guys .... the more I think about it the more use I think I will get out of it. I don't have the skills or time to undertake the extension myself but I am happy to have a stab at some joinery and furniture and I am sure the domino will be handy.
    Now proudly sponsored by Binford Tools. Be sure to check out the Binford 6100 - available now at any good tool retailer.

I'd say you'd be the first in the world to regret the purchase.
    Regards, FenceFurniture

COLT DRILLS GROUP BUY

Having a shop vac is always a good thing.
    Working in a clean environment is safer and healthier and having tools connected to a dust extractor (shop vac) cuts down clean up time.

Michael if you are asking the question then I think you are most of the way there.

Get a good vac as they generate a lot of waste quickly.

THe cheapy ones clog up too easy.

Get the second one up of the festool range and you wont have any worrys, plus has a bag you can empty.
    Jim Carroll
    One Good Turn Deserves Another. CWS, Vicmarc, Robert Sorby, Woodcut, Tormek, Woodfast
    Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. It's free and only takes 37 seconds!

What's the quality of the timber? I used to domino my table top but after I started using the Frontline clamps and a wide belt sander, I don't domino he table tops anymore. If I domino it I still need to put it through the sander so why add a process.

To to build those projects you will need quite a few clamps and time to sand the panels, do you have the time? It's probably cheaper to have it made? How often will you use these tools again in the next 12 months? I find myself regret selling tools I thought I won't need it but that's just me.

I use my domino commercially, if purchasing the domino and vac is financially viable to you, then do it, otherwise dreaming about the use of machine always endup in not using it as I soon realise I need another machine to perfect the process. But if you have time in your hand and this is your hobby, go ahead....

Quote Originally Posted by Albert View Post
    What's the quality of the timber? I used to domino my table top but after I started using the Frontline clamps and a wide belt sander, I don't domino he table tops anymore. If I domino it I still need to put it through the sander so why add a process.

To to build those projects you will need quite a few clamps and time to sand the panels, do you have the time? It's probably cheaper to have it made? How often will you use these tools again in the next 12 months? I find myself regret selling tools I thought I won't need it but that's just me.

I use my domino commercially, if purchasing the domino and vac is financially viable to you, then do it, otherwise dreaming about the use of machine always endup in not using it as I soon realise I need another machine to perfect the process. But if you have time in your hand and this is your hobby, go ahead....
    I use the domino for my hobby work and find it great because I don't have the tools albert does to flatten his table tops after glue up

I have had 2 rail to leg domino joints come apart when I was too sparing with the glue, so watch that (they only came apart after being bashed around in a container moving from NZ to Aus...but still, they shouldn't have and it was all my fault not the domino) so don't skimp on the glue and wipe it all over the tenon surface or dip them in it, don't just drip it in the end of the mortise and let it squeeze out over the tenon!

I have the small version and have been using it for some time on a wide range of projects. The big brother is almost on order. You will not look back. My Porter Cable biscuit joiner hasn't seen use ONCE since I bought the 500 Domino. And yes, no need to use dominos when gluing boards together - if you have the Frontline clamps. Not a strength issue, only alignment.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Carroll View Post
    Get the second one up of the festool range and you wont have any worrys, plus has a bag you can empty.
    Hi Jim ...... I think I have been convinced. There are enough projects on the books to justify the purchase and once it has been made the hurt to the wallet is quickly forgotten. I came across this image on the Ideal Tools website the other day and it showed quite clearly how handy the Domino will be.

29.jpg

Which Vac would you be recommending?

From what I have seen there is the CT-Mini, CT-Midi, CT26 & CT36. I hate the idea of constantly buying bags so was thinking of teaming up whatever I get with the Dust Deputy. I understand that there is the option of the life long filter bags, but at an additional $200+ it seems like the Dust Deputy would be a better alternative (given mobility is not hugely important). Again with the Dust Deputy I start to question the need for the additional capacity (+$100 for the CT36 over CT26), so then it boils down to the slight differences between the CT-Mini and the CT26 for the additional $400 (which can be put towards the Domino). Tasks are likely to be the Domino, ROS, belt sander .... larger tasks will be left to the larger dust extractor.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert View Post
    Hi Albert,

I will be buying rough sawn timber by the m3 pack - quality should be good and I will be sizing and dressing myself. I would love the Frontline clamps but there is only so much I am able to justify. Time is always tight but its more about not having enough than having to get the projects finished by a deadline. I am a little tired of the various assortments of furniture styles in our house so when the extension is complete I would like to start working through and getting a more coordinated collection. A quick estimate of buying finishes pieces in the style I would like run at around $12k, so whilst the timber will not be cheap it allows me the flexibility to design my own pieces and hopefully create something I could be proud of.

Cheers

Stinky

Default CT33 and DD is perfect.

Teaming up a Dust Deputy to the CT33 was the best thing I've ever done.

I use the CT33 all the time. It is very good for general vacuuming and obviously its attached to every tool that it can. The big 2HP dusty does all the big machines.

The DD has been emptied dozens of times. Not kidding there...dozens and dozens. I just re-checked the bag in the CT and there is no more than a handful of dust.

For my own safety, as this is used for sanding, I also put in the 1 micron filters. 0.3 micron filters are available.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Stinkalot View Post
    .....so then it boils down to the slight differences between the CT-Mini and the CT26 for the additional $400 (which can be put towards the Domino).
    Without checking the stats I think the CT 26 has a bigger filter surface area, but the suction is the same. Not sure about particle size. There are longlife bags available for the CT 26, but I don't think there are for the Midi.
    Regards, FenceFurniture

COLT DRILLS GROUP BUY

The CT-26 has nigher suction power over the MIDI or MINI. Both are more than adequate for Domino work and most other Festool power tools.

The CT-26 has a HEPA filter fitted as standard. But you can now get a HEPA filter for the MINI/MIDI if you wish to add one.

The MINI/MIDI now has a long life filterbag like the CT-26 has had for some time.

Quote Originally Posted by nt900 View Post
    The CT-26 has nigher suction power over the MIDI or MINI.
    Just looking at the stats now and there's one thing I don't quite understand. The Midi has max airflow of 3700 litres per minute, with max vacuum of 24,000 pascals. The CT 26 is max airflow of 3900 lpm, and max vacuum is the same at 24,000 pascals. The bit that I don't get is that higher air movement results in the same vacuum. What's the relationship there between air movement and vacuum? I'd have thought that when one changed, so would the other? Is it perhaps to do with filter surface area being smaller in the Midi (with the standard filter, I presume)?

As you say, either would work just fine.
    Regards, FenceFurniture

COLT DRILLS GROUP BUY

Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast