Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Woodworking Joints with the router

Many years ago I made a comment when demonstrating at our local wood show that I would replace the conventional method of producing a tenon by inserting 'Floating' tenons and for a number of years I continued producin mortice and tenon joint using that method. 2011 I changed my way of thinking and came up with a simple Jig where I could produce the conventional Tenon with the router as the only tool used and I have been able to produce the tenon with one simple process in a period of 10 seconds. Not only routing the shape but also rounding the sides ready for insertion into the mortice which was also produced with the router. The method was taken to a second and third stage where Twin tenons and Triple tenons could also be produced. Observing a video on youtube where larger material was involved and required a quadrupple Tenon to be constructed as shown. Looking forward to getting into the shed to see the results of the method I have designed coming into action. As the single tenon I have produced in ten seconds then I hope to produce the four tenons in 1 minute start to finish in the same Jig. I will have to be on the lookout for a piece of material 55mm thick before I can begin but I am looking forward to the challenge. If I am unable to find large enough material I may redraw the instructions and use thinner material such as 40mm thick. I can see the advantage of such a joint adding greater strength to the joint to be made.
    Has anyone produced any 4 tenon joints before4 Tenons b2.JPG4 Tenons b.JPG4 Tenons y 3.JPGIMG_0988 s.jpg
    Learn new Routing skills with the use of the template guides

Log on to You Tube for a collection of videos 'Routing with Tom O'Donnell'

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Can we have some pictures or details on the jigs?
    My age is still less than my number of posts

Quote Originally Posted by chook View Post
    Can we have some pictures or details on the jigs?
    Chook
    Better still I have posted a number of videos on youtube where the Jig is seen in producing single tenons and off set tenons all that is required is to increase the size of the Template. I am also in the process of producing a book on my super jig shown on youtube capable of producing all my tenon Joints. I still have to find some large material to produce the project and when I do I can then post the findings. According to my drawings I have produced I am convinced it will work
    Tom

Default 4 tenons

Quote Originally Posted by Template Tom View Post
    Many years ago I made a comment when demonstrating at our local wood show that I would replace the conventional method of producing a tenon by inserting 'Floating' tenons and for a number of years I continued producin mortice and tenon joint using that method. 2011 I changed my way of thinking and came up with a simple Jig where I could produce the conventional Tenon with the router as the only tool used and I have been able to produce the tenon with one simple process in a period of 10 seconds. Not only routing the shape but also rounding the sides ready for insertion into the mortice which was also produced with the router. The method was taken to a second and third stage where Twin tenons and Triple tenons could also be produced. Observing a video on youtube where larger material was involved and required a quadruple Tenon to be constructed as shown. Looking forward to getting into the shed to see the results of the method I have designed coming into action. As the single tenon I have produced in ten seconds then I hope to produce the four tenons in 1 minute start to finish in the same Jig. I will have to be on the lookout for a piece of material 55mm thick before I can begin but I am looking forward to the challenge. If I am unable to find large enough material I may redraw the instructions and use thinner material such as 40mm thick. I can see the advantage of such a joint adding greater strength to the joint to be made.
    Has anyone produced any 4 tenon joints before4 Tenons b2.JPG4 Tenons b.JPG4 Tenons y 3.JPGIMG_0988 s.jpg
    Produced the 4 tenons [40mm material] on a small version of my 'Super Jig' and I can honestly say it was completed in less than a minute. There was some time taken to produce the necessary templates working from the drawings I required to produce before I could commence each stage. The material was positioned only once and the tenons were completed.

Just as a matter of interest have decided to use this 'mini-Super Jig' and produce templates that can be interchanged to produce the many other joints.