Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Carbatec combination planer - thicknesser with helical head

Well after a long while of looking, planing, checking, I have finally bit the bullet and bought the combination planer - thicknesser.. 10% discount made my decision much easier

Just spent last few hours unpacking it..
    Well it has been packed inside chipboard box... nice solid protection...
    Unloading from the van was a bit tricky but managed to do it after about 40 minutes of wiggling, twisting, puling, cursing...etc

mounted the machine straight onto the mobile base so it is movable...

inital setup is quite basic... mount the fence align it, mount the guard and thats about it.. sweet..
    it was unpacking that took most of the time.. moving close to 150 kg of metal by yourself it a bit tricky exercise but managed to do it..
    after setup I've decided to turn it on.. although it is close to 11 pm.. though to give it a quick try just to see if it is running.. what a surprise.. It is so quiet... I've done a narrow piece of wood and that was quiet too.. as in.. it is soo quiet that you can have normal conversation ..no yelling or anything right next to it while you operate machine...

Well now I need to dock some timber and give it a good run.. hopefully tomorrow...
    After research, and talking to guys at carbatec, I've find out that current iteration of the machine, is actually new design.. actually not really new design.. but re-worked original... fence is solid cast iron, helix head is actually different to any helix head on any of the other carbatec machines... it is much better than any of the other ones.. carbatec guys believe that it is made in taiwan, rather than in china.. so another bonus...
    has two belts rather than original one... so lots of improvements..

anyway, will see how it goes once I start using it...

by the way.. no association with carbatec... just a happy customer providing personal opinion and views....

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

For future reference, can you advise what the model number is?

Quote Originally Posted by cava View Post
    For future reference, can you advise what the model number is?
    Sorry cava.. got overly excited last night... and it was late.

It is 10" combination planer - thicknesser with helical head and cabinet base
    Model AW106PTX
    http://www.carbatec.com.au/spiral-he...et-base_c21813

Hey Prle77,

How is this machine coming along for you. I am on the fence about getting one of these and would love to hear about how it is working for you. It looks like it could be a jointer/thicknesser, is it capable of jointing or just planing and thicknessing?

Miko

Quote Originally Posted by Prle77 View Post
    ......after setup I've decided to turn it on.. although it is close to 11 pm......

We do get excited when we get a new piece of equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Miko Zaire View Post
    Hey Prle77,

How is this machine coming along for you. I am on the fence about getting one of these and would love to hear about how it is working for you. It looks like it could be a jointer/thicknesser, is it capable of jointing or just planing and thicknessing?

Miko
    HI Miko.. it is actually jointer / thicknesser... the top bed is long enough to properly support at least 2.4 metres lengths..

I still havent managed to use it as thicknesser yet... Just came back from a holiday... but had a bit of play with it before I left .. done couple of pieces and they came out nice and flat and putting them one against the other has given me nice full contact surface...

Personally I am very happy with it... I have done extensive research .. and this one came out as best value for money... looks like it is third iteration of the same model.. and it seems like carbatec has listened to customers on this one.. original complains such as .. crappy fence, belt issue and problems with head seem to be improved... it is the new breed helical head... comparing to any other helical head machines in the shop, the helical head on this one is different .. more blades, different shape spiral.. etc...anyway..so far so good

Which mobile base did you get with it?

Quote Originally Posted by jarunit View Post
    Which mobile base did you get with it?
    Hi Jarunit
    I've got the 227 kg capacity one from Carbatec

http://www.carbatec.com.au/universal...apacity_c21716
    Last edited by Prle77; 13th October 2014 at 04:03 PM. Reason: fix web address

Default Change over

Hi, how easy is the changeover from planing to thicknessing? Does the fence need to be removed? Peter