Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default New Zealand timber suppliers

Hi there,

it's been said before, I haven't been able to find a decent woodworkers forum in NZ so I am hoping to gain some insight from any kiwi's on this great site.

Where do home-based woodworkers source their timber for joinery from in NZ? I'm looking at making cabinets, tables etc. Places like bunnings have finished timber,but it's quiet expensive. I would prefer to get unfinished wood and make use of a planer/thicknesser as it would likely save money in the long term.

Specifically I am in Wellington,but happy to look further afield I the transport costs are not too high. Primarily I would look to work in pine but happy to consider other options if the price is right.

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Basically I am looking for kiln dried, rough cut.

Why not Google fine furniture makers in NZ and give them a ring? My quick search revealed quite a few around the country.

mick

Well how much are you buying and how often do you buy? Yes bunnings price is a joke. Are you going to use it commercially? Long term it's probably better to buy finished timber when you take into account of time required to plan the timber, machine wear and waste disposal, it depends on how much you consume, I do 1-2 packs a month thats anywhere between 2m3 to 3m3.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Albert View Post
    Well how much are you buying and how often do you buy? Yes bunnings price is a joke. Are you going to use it commercially? Long term it's probably better to buy finished timber when you take into account of time required to plan the timber, machine wear and waste disposal, it depends on how much you consume, I do 1-2 packs a month thats anywhere between 2m3 to 3m3.
    I'll be making a lot of projects around the house including:
    * Kitchen cabinets
    * Doors
    * Shelving in several rooms (including a 6m x 2m inbuilt cabinet)
    * Outdoor furniture

These projects are a chance to cut my teeth on a few items, possibly looking to do some limited commercial pieces once my own house is done.

Quote Originally Posted by el_kano View Post
    I'll be making a lot of projects around the house including:
    * Kitchen cabinets
    * Doors
    * Shelving in several rooms (including a 6m x 2m inbuilt cabinet)
    * Outdoor furniture

These projects are a chance to cut my teeth on a few items, possibly looking to do some limited commercial pieces once my own house is done.
    best bet is trademe, some mill have one off timber, there was a few cubic metres of macro up for grabs at $800 per cubic.

i don't know anything about outdoor furniture, don't you have to use like treated timber? Real nightmare as the dust from treated timber is poisonous...

Quote Originally Posted by Albert View Post
    best bet is trademe, some mill have one off timber, there was a few cubic metres of macro up for grabs at $800 per cubic.

i don't know anything about outdoor furniture, don't you have to use like treated timber? Real nightmare as the dust from treated timber is poisonous...
    Okay, will have a scan on trademe. I have seen a couple of local suppliers but was hoping for some feedback rom others who may be using them.

Yep, would need a respirator or treated timber. Or coat the item afterwards in urethane or similar.