Default Hello from Sydney

Hi I am a lot more comfortable with a computer than I am with a saw table as I have learnt recently by losing skin from my fingertips. It could have been a lot worse and all is now good. I have recently been designing some new chairs for my house which I call Jonah - belly of a whale anyone? I did the design on the computer and had them cut by CNC from a sheet of Marine plywood. The plywood which I asked for (AA) and had delivered to the CNC service turned out to be only A quality and I had a lot of tear out from the bottom side of the cut. Spent ages sanding, grain filling and generally repairing the edge tear out with epoxy. Lesson learned make sure you see the materials you want to use before sending them out. The chair has turned out to be surprisingly comfortable and I am having it sprayed in a couple of coats of automotive clear to finish it. I need 8 chairs for outside and I think they will be probably be made out of Bamboo plywood for durability. I have heard that Bamboo ply also has problems when being cut a CNC machine. I have done a design for a more upright dining chair without arm rests and a matching table. I am going to make a Bamboo plywood prototype of the dining chair next to see how that turns out. Assembling the chair was fun and a bit like doing a Japanese wood puzzle. The rods holding all the pieces in place are carbon fibre as I did not know how strong the overall chair edges would be until I had one built one. Easily holds 120kg with negligible flex so thats another surprisingly good under engineered result. As you can see the facilities are a bit limited but that doesn't limit the imagination.

Best

Brendan
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Welcome to the forum Brendan nice chairs.

crowie is offline Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

G'Day & Welcome to a top forum "Brendan".
    There are a heap of members in Sydney and surrounding areas.....
    Some of us have gathered at one of the forum members home at Katoomba about 4 times for a meet & greet.
    You'll find a heap of helpful & knowledgeable blokes & ladies on the forum and for most very willing to assist.
    Make sure you show off your handiwork as everyone loves a photo, especially WIP [Work In Progress] photos with build notes.
    That chair is beautiful and deserves it's own thread were you'll have more people to view and maybe off assistance if needed.
    You could try putting in the "cnc machinery" section along with "general woodwork" for a start...keep up the photos and the good work...
    Enjoy the forum.
    Enjoy your woodwork..
    Cheers crowie

Unreal.

I love the way some burst onto the scene! HERE IT IS! tra-da! and wow. Its a great design, creatively done and highly reproducible. So many (i.e. me) struggle to get even one of these right.

Welcome to the forum.

Nice work on the chair. Hope your injury was not limiting to your functional ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Christos View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

Nice work on the chair. Hope your injury was not limiting to your functional ability.
    Restricted my laughable guitar playing for a few weeks and had my kids going Oh Yuk. Have fully recovered and regenerated. Have to say I was lucky and its not as easy or as simple as the Youtube videos. Thanks for all the kinds words generally. Its always nice to get a pat on the back from people who know what they are doing. I don't know whether this image is widely available on this site but it was a big help to me in determining all the dimensions for my first chair. It comes from this article:

http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodwork...table-seating/
    Attached Files Attached Files

Brendan,

G'Day and welcome to the forums, Enjoy Love the look of those chairs too

Cheers
    Tony.

crowie is offline Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

Default Local Sydney area Katoomba Get Together on 2nd November