Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Tin shed?

Default Tin shed?

Hi all, I've finally left the Dairy industry, I've been frustrated with the way it treats it's people and of course the long hours severely limit my woodworking time which I feel is my true calling, where farming was nothing more than a job.
    Any who, we've moved into town but unfortunately it only has a single garage which is attached to the house, it will do for a workshop for a little while but I would really like something away from the house because of dust/noise etc.
    And of course I have to work with in a fairly tight budget, around 2 grand which I understand is a little unrealistic but it is what it is.
    My first thought was a shipping container, but a 20 footer is around $2500 before I've even set it up with windows and benches, and it's also only 12 sq meters, 2 meters wide by 6 meters deep which is an awkward size really.
    The other option I found was a 4 by 4 meter tin shed, which of course gives me 16 squares, a much better size, and I can pick one up for only a grand, but I'm concerned about the noise (we have neighbours all around us) and durability(I need to be able to pick it up and take it away if we move unexpectedly)
    I haven't bothered to work out what it would cost to build a timber frame and ply shed as I know it would blow my budget out of the water.
    Does anyone have any other suggestions or ideas?
    As I say, it needs to be portable, around the 16 squares and as close to $2000 as possible, am I being completely unrealistic?
    Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi75 View Post
    Hi all, I've finally left the Dairy industry, I've been frustrated with the way it treats it's people and of course the long hours severely limit my woodworking time which I feel is my true calling, where farming was nothing more than a job.
    Any who, we've moved into town but unfortunately it only has a single garage which is attached to the house, it will do for a workshop for a little while but I would really like something away from the house because of dust/noise etc.
    And of course I have to work with in a fairly tight budget, around 2 grand which I understand is a little unrealistic but it is what it is.
    My first thought was a shipping container, but a 20 footer is around $2500 before I've even set it up with windows and benches, and it's also only 12 sq meters, 2 meters wide by 6 meters deep which is an awkward size really.
    The other option I found was a 4 by 4 meter tin shed, which of course gives me 16 squares, a much better size, and I can pick one up for only a grand, but I'm concerned about the noise (we have neighbours all around us) and durability(I need to be able to pick it up and take it away if we move unexpectedly)
    I haven't bothered to work out what it would cost to build a timber frame and ply shed as I know it would blow my budget out of the water.
    Does anyone have any other suggestions or ideas?
    As I say, it needs to be portable, around the 16 squares and as close to $2000 as possible, am I being completely unrealistic?
    Thanks.
    G'day Kiwi, I'm in the same boat, I picked up a 6X4m shed for around $300.00, spent 1/2 a day with a mate who had a 4WD and car trailer cost me $50 for fuel and donation. Next day, put up the 2 sides, back, roof and lift up door. The shed sits on the ground with carpet in necessary places where I tend to stand for some time, lathe bandsaw etc. If you're in a windy area you could put some cocky's friend over the top and twitch it to some star droppers, my door way is wider at the bottom than the top, going to put in some short angles about 400 into the ground and bolt the uprights to it. It's been like this for 7years now.
    The power to the shed is by an external PP 15 amp socket that a mate of mine put in FOC (barter work actually). A plug and heavy 15amp cable goes to the shed into a circuit board then onto lights power etc. I also have an enclosed trailer 2.5 X 6 that works the same way.
    Regardless of shed type noise will always be a problem, I get around that by keeping it minimal and repairs (within my capabilities) for free or a few dollars to cover materials etc.
    Regards
    Kryn