Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

FWIW I like the very first joint illustration.

If the eddges of all components are chamfered and rounded the joint will look neat and decorative.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

if you have time to make it for yourself and wanting it to be a heirloom or to be used like for the next 30 years, I wouldnt use hardware... unless the hardware itself looks like a piece of art itself.

yeah there's no question about it, I don't use hardware in furniture...

auscab - that's an interesting idea about the anchoring pin. Easy to retrofit though, I might add it if I get loosening problems. The way I see it elongating the hole would let it loosen immediately though. Pretty easy to make another wedge

Quote Originally Posted by harrygrey382 View Post
    auscab - that's an interesting idea about the anchoring pin. Easy to retrofit though, I might add it if I get loosening problems. The way I see it elongating the hole would let it loosen immediately though. Pretty easy to make another wedge
    yes , only if you had problems , it could be the back up plan and could be done in situation with a cordless.

I was thinking of elongating the hole that's in the wedge only as a possibility, But I don't know , you'd have to have a play with it with a test run ? if the wedge angle is shallow it would probably be best and may not need the wedge pin . If it was steep as I drew it before I could imagine with a bit of jiggling of the post seeing the wedge work out.

If it got loose you could always take out the first pin and knock the wedge in tight then do a second new pin , in a new position, and cut the first pin in half and plug the first hole in from both sides .

I like trying to figure out bed joints because I have wanted to do some for myself for years , Problem is every five years my idea of what would be perfect changes . I have liked pencil post style beds for a while , before that it was early Victorian style four posters in Red Cedar , The latest desire is to have perfect light coming over my shoulder with low wattage lights in the head board , reading light from the side drives me mad.

I made a king size for a client once, it had slats and took just the mattress , short legs . The good thing was the frame and legs were all tenoned and glue blocked, a fixed frame , with a nice big moulding around the top, and the head board bolted on . the frame was probably 19 inches off the ground , maybe less? it was rock solid and the house that it went to had easy access , it was a country Italian style bed. If I was doing a pencil post I think I might try that joint you put up though.

Rob

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12