Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Veritas planes

Usually these things work with a kind of stirrup. Tightening the wingnut pulls the theaded part upwards, and the underside of this bolt has the stirrup wrapped around the stem. But I need a closer look to be sure if it is also like that in this plane. I'll make a picture tonight.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

In that case I think you may be right Kees. I did not consider that as another option.

I did find some extra info on the main topic of discussion. Fairly generic but still worthwhile reading.

http://www.mehr-als-werkzeug.de/page...el.htm?lang=en

Stewie;

Kees. On a totally different subject I just finished removing the bulk of material to the mortises on the 4 box chamfer planes. That was the easy part. Next step involves chalking the mortise sides to highlight the last 2-3 % of material to be removed. You end up feeling cross eyed by the time your finished. Its not hard to work out why planemaker philly steered away from this design feature on the chamfer planes he offers.
    Too many man hours involved doing it this way.

Stewie;

Here is a picture how the Dutch plow planes were usually constructed. Mine is just like that.
    My plane is only for show. The bedding of the iron on the skate is very weak.

Good luck with the chamfer planes. I'm looking forward to see some more pictures.

Hi Kees. Thanks for that.

Can I inquire about details the reference book your using. It looks like it has some excellent info on how early dutch planes were constructed.

Stewie;

Quote Originally Posted by planemaker View Post
    Hi Kees. Thanks for that.

Can I inquire about details the reference book your using. It looks like it has some excellent info on how early dutch planes were constructed.

Stewie;
    That's from the book "Four centuries of Dutch planes and planemaker" from G. van der Sterre (in Dutch and English). You can ask for a copy overhere: [email protected]

Sigh, I have just spent more time honing a cap iron than I have ever spent on a plane blade. There's alway a damn gap somewhere!

Results are mixed
    ...I'll just make the other bits smaller.

Bedankt voor de link Kees. Enige probleem dat ik heb is lijkt in het Nederlands met een aantal Engelse vertalingen. Dat tweetalig is niet één van de sterke punten.

IK kan altijd gebruik maken van de online vertaaltool van Nederlands tot Engels, maar dat zou betekenen dat typwerk alle nederlandse tekst in een word-document.

Stewie;

Quote Originally Posted by Berlin View Post
    Sigh, I have just spent more time honing a cap iron than I have ever spent on a plane blade. There's alway a damn gap somewhere!

Results are mixed
    http://newbritainboy.wordpress.com/2012/12/25/setting-up-a-cap-iron/

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=...20iron&f=false

Very good try Stewie!

The book is completely in English and Dutch. Not just a few parts of it.

Berlin I hear you on the capiron fetling. It can be vexing at times. It helps to use a hard stone, like an oil stone, because sandpaper has too much flex I think. It also helps to make it concave first. Then you have at least a stable position from which you can work towards flat. Check it often, becaue it is easy to overshoot your target.

Maybe I should start a capiron restauration service. There must be a lot of money in that market.

Hi Kees. When you say, The book is completely in English and Dutch. Not just a few parts of it. How then is the content of the book structured to accommodate both languages.

Wedden dat u kunt ook Duits spreken.

Stewie;

Quote Originally Posted by Berlin View Post

Results are mixed
    I have had better success with a file rather than a flat stone. Yeah it can be a pain though.

Quote Originally Posted by planemaker View Post
    Hi Kees. When you say, The book is completely in English and Dutch. Not just a few parts of it. How then is the content of the book structured to accommodate both languages.

Wedden dat u kunt ook Duits spreken.

Stewie;
    Jokainen sivu on puoli hollanti, puoli englant.

Euh, I mean, each page is half Dutch, half English. Works fine as far as I can see.

Thanks Kees. Sounds good. I will do some searching. The supplier link you gave me also has an ebay site which lists the book. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Buch-4-Ce...item4867c5d9ce

Stewie;

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345