Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default token or stafford

i am trying to decide between these 2 welders . i want a mig but would also like to have a bit of a play with tig , and maybe later get an ac/dc tig if i do any good at all with the dc lift arc one .
    the pros and cons of these 2 choices are the token one is a little more welder and cheaper but the stafford one is in toowoomba where i go on a regular basis so easier to return if there is a problem and they have been there for quite a few years .oh yeah and they did say they would chuck in a tig gun aswell which comes with the token machine standard .the equivalent machine to the stafford one at token is out of stock so the synergic is the next nearest and still cheaper than stafford but token means shipping back and forth should there be any need to return even though i doubt there would be if they last anywhere as lond as my old wia miniarc which i still use and have done a lot of work with over the last 36 years .

http://www.staffordwelding.com.au/pr...fford-mst-200d

http://weldingstore.tokentools.com.a...s-mig210s.html

johno
    'If the enemy is in range, so are you.'

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

From reading the specifications/pictures I would say that they are made in the same factory with what ever name stuck on it. Either one will be OK
    Kryn

thats kinda what i thought too . i also think they are the same as the ones sold in the uk under the name R-TECH .

johno

Quote Originally Posted by texx View Post
    i am trying to decide between these 2 welders . i want a mig but would also like to have a bit of a play with tig , and maybe later get an ac/dc tig if i do any good at all with the dc lift arc one .
    the pros and cons of these 2 choices are the token one is a little more welder and cheaper but the stafford one is in toowoomba where i go on a regular basis so easier to return if there is a problem and they have been there for quite a few years .oh yeah and they did say they would chuck in a tig gun aswell which comes with the token machine standard .the equivalent machine to the stafford one at token is out of stock so the synergic is the next nearest and still cheaper than stafford but token means shipping back and forth should there be any need to return even though i doubt there would be if they last anywhere as lond as my old wia miniarc which i still use and have done a lot of work with over the last 36 years .

http://www.staffordwelding.com.au/pr...fford-mst-200d

http://weldingstore.tokentools.com.a...s-mig210s.html

johno
    Token tools has been mentioned for a lot of years in this forum.In the years I have been around never seen a bad word about them.

The principal has an electrical trade background and a degree in electronics I believe .
    They design their own machines which could externally look like the other contender.The internals will likely very different from the other and will likely to be the best quality available. Hence they offer a good warranty period.
    Token also have the capacity to diagnose and repair their welders at their premises and have a good after sales and service reputation.

The other machine may well be good , but the Token is cheaper,has a longer warranty and can be repaired in their shop.
    You may well be closer but how long will you wait for the company to repair your faulty unit if no onsite repair is available

Many here, own and swear by their Token welders so you might hear back from some of the owners. Give Peter at Token Tools a ring and he can fill you in. He is a genuine sort of bloke not a typical salesman.

I have no affiliation with Token Tools at all,but simply like the way they approach the business of selling welders.

Grahame

Ueee is offline Blacksmith, Cabinetmaker, Machinist, Messmaker

Hi Grahame, As i just posted in the main section, i just bought the brand spankin new Razor205. Same as the 200 ( think anyway) but with DC Tig. Cost me $1250 but only comes with Mig and Mma torches. The build quality of the wire feed looks better than any other welder i looked at (Ok maybe the Kempi was better...and twice the price) and the overall quality is very high. I'm not sure on repairs though. If you have a few weeks i should be giving it a couple of days straight worth of Mig soon and can report back with how it goes. Ew
    1915 17"x50" LeBlond heavy duty Lathe, 24" Queen city shaper, 1970's G Vernier FV.3.TO Universal Mill, 1958 Blohm HFS 6 surface grinder, 1942 Rivett 715 Lathe, 14"x40" Antrac Lathe, Startrite H225 Bandsaw, 1949 Hercus Camelback Drill press, 1947 Holbrook C10 Lathe.

I know you have now baught a machine, but for others that may be reading, there is another to put in the mix.

this one
    https://www.tradetools.com/products/NB160X

I have had one of these for a couple of years now as have a a couple of mates.

It comes under a number of brands from a number of suppliers, one of them considerably more expensive like add 30%.

great little machine.

cheers
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.
    Abrasives can be just as dangerous as a blade.....and 10 times more painfull.

Quote Originally Posted by soundman View Post
    https://www.tradetools.com/products/NB160X

I have had one of these for a couple of years now as have a a couple of mates.

It comes under a number of brands from a number of suppliers, one of them considerably more expensive like add 30%.
    Heh, yet another incarnation of my UniMIG 165 - on mine they added "Jasic" which gives it a bit more cred. I wonder if they come from the same factory, or it's a design that's shared among a number of factories?

I paid about $850 for mine.

Um....Yeess.

But check the price of the Unimig.

Most of those offeeing this unit for arround the $800 mark are direct importers.....those quoting arround the $1200 to $1500 are comming thru some sort of locak distributer or middle man.

If buying one..check what you get with it.....Mine came with the binsel mig torch and a set of stick leads.....the later offering from tradetools comes with the tig torch as well.

cheers
    People are made of meat.

the 2 i am looking at also have lift arc tig and are spool gun ready .

johno

Most mig welders with a euro socket will take a spool gun AFAIK.

As far as there being a " feature " of "lift arc tig" it may just be a machine that does not have HF start.

I dont think that in this day and age " lift arc" is a wonderous feature.

If it does not have a HF start.......possibly not if it is a lower priced DC welder..it will either be lift or scratch start.

cheers
    People are made of meat.

About a year or so after I got mine, a new generation of machines came out that added spool gun sockets (and a lot also went to digital displays).

It would be interesting to know how the Chinese manufacturing system works.

Ueee is offline Blacksmith, Cabinetmaker, Machinist, Messmaker

The new 165 from H&F is $715, but this is not the Tig version.

The 205 is "lift arc" not HF start, 200amp, digital display etc etc. Burnback is pre-set. It has a euro torch connection and spool gun socket.

Ew
    1915 17"x50" LeBlond heavy duty Lathe, 24" Queen city shaper, 1970's G Vernier FV.3.TO Universal Mill, 1958 Blohm HFS 6 surface grinder, 1942 Rivett 715 Lathe, 14"x40" Antrac Lathe, Startrite H225 Bandsaw, 1949 Hercus Camelback Drill press, 1947 Holbrook C10 Lathe.

I had the same question a few months and went the Token route. Paid the extra and got a spool gun for Aluminium. so far I am as happy as Larry

Quote Originally Posted by DocBug View Post
    I had the same question a few months and went the Token route. Paid the extra and got a spool gun for Aluminium. so far I am as happy as Larry
    Damn. Now I have to find someone called Larry and ask him how happy he is with his welder...

Michael