I have an old Elu jig, the necessary guide and bits. If you don't know it, then you'll know the type: it's been cloned a thousand times by every manufacturer (Trend, Carbatec, Festool, etc. etc.) in the 40 odd years since Elu first made it and sold under a myriad of proprietory names. Mine, the smaller version, is limited by width (300mm) & ability (half-laps only).

It's easy and relatively foolproof. But I hate the uniform, generic look of the pins & tails it produces, and I'd like to have a choice of pin spacing, asymmetry, and maybe some dovetailed and straight box-joint ability.

I have since purchased a Prazi Chestmate jig, set of 3 bits & guide to allow at least some of this. I now have unlimited width and more (but not unlimited) choice in timber thickness and pin & tail layout, but no half-lap ability.

I now have some major projects underway. 2 kitchens from scratch, and a "library" wall of cabinets, drawers & shelves. One kitchen is to be in brace-ply, the other & library in blackwood & tas oak. I'm hoping to do the latter 2 projects in trad. style in solid timber & mortice, tenoned & glazed & panelled (fielded & linenfold) doors, sliding dovetailed shelves and half lapped drawer fronts. I prefer the drawer sides to extend beyond the drawer backs, using wedged tenons rather than through dovetails to lock them to the back, & trad. fielded sliding hardwood drawer bottoms.

I have an old morticer to do the doors, but I think the generic style of halflap dovetails would really spoil the overall effect.

I have done a bit of research, and now need a bit of advice on which way to go...

The Woodrat looks amazing, but also very intimidating. I appreciate the lateral thinking that went into the design: sort of a flawed genius really. It has capabilities way in excess of either my desires or ability. I'm a bit of a Luddite at heart, and only want dovetails from my jig. I am also intimidated by the steepness of it's learning curve: I need to be productive, too. For similar reasons, I rather despise the Router Mate clone for its plagiarism and "digital" rendering of the classic 'Rat. Plus it's unconscionably expensive for what it is.

The Leigh jig also embodies genius and versatility, but perhaps in a more straightforward way. I have a friend who likes his a lot. But when the jig is combined with the necessary cutters, template guide, router support rail and dust extraction and in my case a new 8mm collet it's also getting pretty pricey too.

One of the Leigh jig's designers came up with the Akeda jig: clever, simple and intuitive, which none of the others are. I was going to buy a 16" version, as it seemed the ideal compromise jig for my requirements. But can I find one? The factory was torched, and so they aren't available new anymore. There was an even better version marketed by Trend, offering 2.5mm pin & tail spacing intervals instead of the original's 1/8". Like I said, the perfect compromise between variability, asymmetry and repeatability. Coming from the same factory, it's also unfortunately unavailable.

Second hand versions rarely become available, commanding almost-new prices. This is, I suspect a testament to the 3 jigs' (Akeda also did a 24" version) relative merits. Actually the 24" version, as rare as hen's teeth, sells for more than it did new!

I actually bought an Akeda accessory set some time ago, containing a set of 8 bits, dust extraction collars, and incompatible Akeda-only extra pin & tail fingers. But I can't now get an Akeda! Anywhere! There hasn't been one available second hand for over year, even from the US or Canada.

Trend's equivalent is occasionally available second hand, but airmail from the UK is cripplingly expensive. My accessory kit , with the exception of the 40 odd pins & tails, will fit either jig. Trend pins & tails, being carbon fibre, are still readily avaiable and cheap to buy & post.

The Akeda/Trend DC400 jig itself, however, is extremely heavily constructed from alloy and steel extrusions & castings. I'm guessing postage alone would be approaching some $200 odd!

Does anybody have one, or know of one, that is available locally? Either jig. Either size. Please?

Alternatively, does anybody have a different recommendation?