Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by .RC. View Post
    So fabrication in industry uses flux cored wire....

I would have thought it would be cheaper gas process.. Flux cored wire is many $$$..

I have an AS400 welder Graeme... 400 amps DC perkins engine driven... it is old and looks like scrap, but it works..

I also have a Miller Bluestar DX welder.... Supposed to be 180 amps output DC, again engine driven.. We did measure it putting out 220 amps though with a clamp meter..

The MIG is a transmig 250SE... Separate wire feeder unit.. With a 32 amp input 250 amps is 50% duty cycle... It has an overload light on it... I assume it works, I have never had it come on...

I am not sure how to get into spray mode.... I know if I turn the volts all the way up and turn the feed down all I get is a humming sound, no crackle... Turn the feed up and it starts crackling again... I usually run Coregas 5/2 5% CO2, 2% O2 remainder argon... Although I emptied my bottle and have not yet got a refill but in the meantime I got given a half full G size bottle of BOC universal gas to empty..

Years ago I used a LN25 on an old 225 amp linc weldenpower and flux cored wire to build a 30M X 18M shed out of universal beam... I did all the welding on it, it is still standing I have read though that CC power sources with wire feeders are only good for heavy sections in the horizontal position...

I have been up very close and personal with medium sized container ships.... It is interesting seeing the welding on the hull.... Many multiple runs, looks like it was done by dave the apprentice as they go all over the place, there is no way they are robotic welded.... These ships are made in China...
    RC
    Basically there are three modes of deposition,arc transfer on the standard MIG /GMAW unit Short Arc (dip transfer),Middle section is Globular transfer and highest output one is Spray arc for maximum wire deposition.
    Short arc or dip transfer mode crackles.It is the lower end of the amps/voltage scale. Many mig welders don't understand mig GMAW settings beyond this mode of transfer.Its where most of the welding fails occurs as setting are too cold for the thicker metals welded.

Spray mode is identifiable audible as a hissing sound. For heavy wire deposition, it is the way to go. For your solid wire it will be up around 25 volts and upwards.To get into spray as you said turn the voltage most of the way up and turn the wire feeder most the way up until the arc sound changes from crackle to hiss.That should get you in the ball park so to speak.

The wire output is directly related to amperage output and can be set in mm/ per minute to give a matching mm/minute to a amperage level.This is for older units without read out gauges.Theres charts around somewhere for the whole range but I am short of time ,so i won;t hunt them up today.

I pinched this off the yank miller site so amps are matched to inches/minute (IPM) not mms/minute .It is for ER70S-6 -.9mm wire ,which I think you are probably using.

.035 minimum 50A 18V 75 IPM WFS, maximum 225A 25V 500 IPM WFS 25v and up is SPRAY is in BLUE
    optimum vert. setting 150A 18V 185 IPM WFS

optimum horiz. setting 215A 22V 415 IPM WFS

RC ,if you practice with the spray arc, be aware the the UV levels climb bigtime and that extra radiation given off by the higher energy arc will burn you your exposed bits.
    Also there can be some other slight tweaking of voltage to suit the gas mix your now using which I'll assume is the universal mix.

What happened to your original sig line ? Now that you are taking time for precison,don't you have time to chase cows? :

Cheers
    Grahame

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Oh well, probably does not matter now.... I just bought 13 440 (yes that is not a typo) 4mm 8018 welding rods for $142
    Light red, the colour of choice for the discerning man.

Oh well, probably does not matter now.... I just bought 13 440 (yes that is not a typo) 4mm 8018 welding rods for $142
    That's a very impressive buy. Even if they are old and need conditioning, that's still impressive.
    4mm is a good size too, small enough for out of position, big enough to lay a 6mm fillet. I have run 4mm 7018's down to 90A on DC, so you have go a pretty good "do most things" size there.

The rods should be quite new, they are left over from a pipeline construction job... They had a heap of lots of them, plus some 3.2's in the same grade which sold for a lot more... Plus 6010's for the root run I guess..

I think I calculated I will have to pick up 700kg worth... I hope they have a forklift on site... But I doubt it and it will be loading by hand..

The rods should be quite new, they are left over from a pipeline construction job... They had a heap of lots of them, plus some 3.2's in the same grade which sold for a lot more... Plus 6010's for the root run I guess..

I think I calculated I will have to pick up 700kg worth... I hope they have a forklift on site... But I doubt it and it will be loading by hand..
    They ought to keep well provided the packets are unopened. Most high end electrodes come in hermetically sealed packs capable of withstanding most things short of nuclear war.
    Are you planning on keeping them all or will you sell/barter some? That's a serious amount of welding electrodes that will probably see you, your children and probably your grandchildren out!
    Assuming you get 700Kg of electrodes, you could run a 6mm fillet that was about 2.9Km long and would take you roughly two weeks, four days and eigtheen hours to complete assuming 50% arc time, working 3 shifts 24hours a day. No meal or toilet breaks allowed!
    Tired yet?

They are all in rod packs of 28 rods each... Lincoln Sahara or something like that...

There is no way I would ever use 700kg of rods... I may barter some away...

A pallet of welding rods for $140.. Specially vacuum packed in little packets.. made in norway or netherlands or somewhere like that..

They run well..

20141007_172234.jpg 20141007_161542.jpg

As a matter of interest, what is the name of these electrodes? I am guessing Kryo 3 or SL19G (LA).

They are Kryo 1P's.

A pallet of welding rods for $140.. Specially vacuum packed in little packets.. made in norway or netherlands or somewhere like that..

They run well..
    Nice bidding! Some amazing deals at some of those project wind up auctions.

I would have bid on more heavier stuff like the concrete blocks, but as usual they has the "loading is the responsibility of the purchaser", which is a down right pain..

I get there and there are company telehandlers running all over the place loading up the heavy stuff for the purchasers.. I was happy with the Gray's staff, most helpful..

I was happy with the Gray's staff, most helpful..
    I went to one auction run by a bunch of monkeys which was really poorly run. There were heaps of lots that I would have bid on, but because of their poor time planning, they ended up amalgamating lots half way through the day. So early in the day they would auction single concrete pipes, and everyone just watched the same bidder buy 50 pipes in a row individually.
    Then later they started amalgamating lots... an oxy set would be bundled with a 3 tonne concrete pipe and 6 pallets of fencing wire. Instead of a $500 lot of power tools, the amalgamated lot also ended up including a container load of pump spares, about a tonne of 6" hose and a heap of concrete screeds. There was no way you could bid on something without needing a truck to move the rest of the crap that came with it.
    The more resourceful guys just bought up the the lots then held their own auctions to sub-divide. I didn't have the time or patience.
    Even so... I'll go to the next one.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123