Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vl240

Default Vl240

G'day
    I am considering upgrading my old VL 200 delux variable speed to a VL240 ASM EVS and I am after advice from someone who has bought one . Access to my playroom is not good and I am wondering if I can get one in.
    I know it weighs Kg250. Does it just come in one big box? I presume the stand comes knocked down and the componant parts could be individually carried and assembled in the shed. Is the bed,headstock and motor all one unit? if so can two people lift it on to the stand ? If its too heavy to lift ,would it be a practical option to hire an engine removeing trolly to lift it?
    I would be greatfull for any advice.
    If I go ahead, my old lathe will be looking for a new home.
    Ted

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Ted, I don't own one, but have used the VL240 and assisted in a "rearrangment" of a workshop. The lathe it self is a 2 burly bloke job or 3 man job. The head stock is blessedly solid and heavy. The stand is of reasonable weight, but easily managed by the 2 blokes. Apart from that, it is a smooth turning lathe, although I do suggest enquirying about if they will manufacturing the Swing Away Tailstock bed for the 240, as the Tailstock is beefy.
    Pat
    Work is a necessary evil to be avoided. Mark Twain

I just made the same upgrade but I bought a demo one from the canberra show and it came all assembled.
    The stand is only bolted together and should be easy to take apart (I've already had the shelf out to put the inverter in there and that was an easy job)
    The lathe itself weighs around 160kg so you would need a few people to lift it in place. I actually set up a chain block from an overhead beam and lifted the lathe off the trailer and drove the trailer out before lowering the lathe.
    An engine crane could be a good option.
    I've only just had the chance to have a play around with it and I'm extremely happy with my choice!

Default Vicmarc VL240 Lathe

The VL240 comes all set up on the stand .

It can easily be seperated from the stand if needed.

It comes on a pallet so a pallet truck is all that is needed.

When setting up at shows we slide the motor end of the pallet , a couple of helpers makes the job easier, then it is tilted up so the pallet can be moved out of the way.

If on your own then a portable engine lifter can be used to lift of the pallet.

When delivered to you it will come on the pallet and we organise a tailgate drop so the driver uses a pallet truck to get from the truck to your shed, if able.

It is a stocky lathe which is why they call it the bulldog.
    Jim Carroll
    One Good Turn Deserves Another. CWS, Vicmarc, Robert Sorby, Woodcut, Tormek, Woodfast
    Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. It's free and only takes 37 seconds!

Thanks for the suggestions.I'll go and see what the local hire shop has in the way of lifting equipment.
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by turnerted View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions.I'll go and see what the local hire shop has in the way of lifting equipment.
    Ted
    I hope Ted your pathway is reasonably flat to the shed otherwise its a bit of a challenge using a pallet truck over rough ground.
    Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working. — Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by hughie View Post
    I hope Ted your pathway is reasonably flat to the shed otherwise its a bit of a challenge using a pallet truck over rough ground.
    Hughie it all depends on how well you flutter your eyes

If you can get the guy to back up to your shed it all the better.

Our driveway was restricted in driving in plus at some stage they had put down that pattern concrete which looks good but collects crap like you would not believe so our solution was to have 2 sheets of ply and move from one to the other, easy peasy
    Jim Carroll
    One Good Turn Deserves Another. CWS, Vicmarc, Robert Sorby, Woodcut, Tormek, Woodfast
    Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. It's free and only takes 37 seconds!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Carroll View Post
    Hughie it all depends on how well you flutter your eyes
    SWMBO has been far more successful at that than me , must be the hairy legs ...
    Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working. — Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by hughie View Post
    SWMBO has been far more successful at that than me , must be the hairy legs ...
    But the good lady a razor.......

Jim
    Sometimes in the daily challenges that life gives us, we miss what is really important...

Quote Originally Posted by powderpost View Post

Jim
    Geez you sad that out of swinging distance
    Jim Carroll

Quote Originally Posted by powderpost View Post

Jim
    My thoughts exactly. Then again I would have changed one word, But to Purchase.

Hughie
    The route is reasonably flat but I have to go across about 10m of lawn.I would be using the two sheets of plywood trick that Jim described.It worked when I moved my table saw in. The bigger problem is likely to be the 300mm step up into the workshop.
    Ted

I'm not sure where you could hire one from (I borrowed one from work) but a scissor lift trolley (500kg one) could lift the lathe that 300mm. One of these http://reflexequip-px.rtrk.com.au/p/...00mm-lift.html You would have to be able to slide it off onto the next level somehow though....

Quote Originally Posted by Woodturnerjosh View Post
    I'm not sure where you could hire one from (I borrowed one from work) but a scissor lift trolley (500kg one) could lift the lathe that 300mm. One of these http://reflexequip-px.rtrk.com.au/p/...00mm-lift.html You would have to be able to slide it off onto the next level somehow though....
    Kennards up here have those for hire, from memory $40 or $60a day

I called in at the local hire place today and I think with an engine hoist and a lifting platform I can do it.A bit dearer than Geelong though,hoist $67.lifting platform $72 for 4 hours.
    I might just check with one of the local removelist and see if they would be interested.
    For someone with the right gear and a bit of muscle it should only be a 20 minute job.
    Ted

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast