Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Harvey bandsaw / Timberworks.com.au - any good ?

Hi. I'm in the early stages of buying a new bandsaw. These are the pre-requisites I've decided on so far:
    1. under $2000
    2. 14 inch preferred (due to lack of height and space and need to be mobile)
    3. 2 hp

I've come across this ad for a 14inch Harvey bandsaw at $1499 which looks very inviting:
    http://www.timberwork.com.au/harvey-14-bandsaw/

It seems to be the same machine as this:
    http://www.majorwoodworking.com.au/h...w614e-bandsaw/

Timberworks seem to be in Albion Park. It'll cost a bit for delivery, but I will need to pay for delivery no matter where it comes from.

Now I'm wondering:
    has anyone owned a Harvey bandsaw. Pros and cons?
    has anyone dealt with Timberworks (seems to be a very cheap price). Any problems?

cheers
    Arron

ps. all searches done and previous posts read - I'm after updated information.
    Apologies for unnoticed autocomplete errors.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Hi Arron

Seems to be the same machine. If you look at shipping costs on the Albion Park (1st) it seems that shipping is quite reasonable.

Sorry I don't have any personal knowledge of the machine.

BTW I think you have a problem with your Joomla site.
    Dave
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    Edmund Burke 1729 - 1797

Arron,
    2HP, 14'' saw and save $500.
    http://www.machineryhouse.com.au/W4224
    I have had one for a few years and am very pleased with it.
    Regards
    John

Quote Originally Posted by orraloon View Post
    Arron,
    2HP, 14'' saw and save $500.
    http://www.machineryhouse.com.au/W4224
    I have had one for a few years and am very pleased with it.
    Regards
    John
    yes, I haven't gone down the route of working out just what advantage the Harvey/laguna/etc level of machine has over the HareAndForbes/carbatec level yet. From a few posts I've read you are not buying into a better level of service or support with the Lagunas - I just need to get up close to see if the build quality is that different.

It won't take much to make me spring for the dearer machine. I've been a good boy this year and spent next to nothing on tools.

I'm also noting that the harvey seems to be 3 hp, not two. Seems like a lot of power for a 14 inch machine. Are there any negatives with having a 3 hp motor in a small Bandsaw? .

Cheers
    Arron

Grunt is good in a bandsaw especially if you ever want to cut the full 12'' thickness it is rated at. That makes it a big saw.
    I have never found the 14''width to be limiting but having the ability to cut thick wood is good. Having read the specks of the Harvey it looks like a good machine but I would suggest you go see it in the flesh as well as a few other brands before parting with the hard earned dosh. A few years back I was set on the Seppach as it had good promotion and was raved about on line. When I actually saw it on the sales floor and compared it to other saws I had a change of mind. So go see first.
    Regards
    John

I recommend that you consider service when you buy. Hare and Forbes have service techs who come to you if something stops working. I have found them prompt and efficient in Brisbane. Carba-tec have longer warranties but if the machine fails they do not offer on-site service. You have to return it to them. This has just happened to me with one of their machines. I don't know about Major but recommend that you ask them or any other supplier before you buy. All the Chinese stuff is made to a price and a few of them fail.

I had a H&F BP 355 before I bought a big Minimax. The 355 had plenty of power for its price.

I have no affiliation with any manufacturer or retailer, I am just recounting my own experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well I sent a message to Timberworks via their Contact Us page and waited a few days and got no reply Why do companies allow that to happen? Anyway, rules them out for me. So I've just bought a H&F 355 on the market place. It might not have the finesse of a Laguna but it will do me I'm sure.
    Cheers
    Arron

Does it have cast iron wheels?

Quote Originally Posted by bosox View Post
    Does it have cast iron wheels?
    From memory mine did, but the more important issue is how heavy and true the wheels are. The BP355 wheels are very open, as in not very heavy. However, the machine does work very well for its price, so the price/performace ratio is high. They are a good machine to start with on a limited budget and if you don't know how much bandsaw work you will do. I did use mine to cut some 3mm Australian cedar veneers for restoration work, so they can do a good job. Of course, if you want heavy duty resaw and super precision you need to spend more money on something like a Minimax or Felder European machine IMO.

Well I got my H&F 355 home a couple of days ago and am very happy with it. Its a lot of machine for the price. I also looked at the Carbatec version (which is same price) and it doesnt come close in build quality or spec, which seems odd considering how closely the two companies products compete otherwise.

Its nice using a 2 hp motor after the old 3/4 hp machine I was struggling on with.

I dont have a lot of rigorous stuff to do with this bandsaw so I'm certain it is the right purchase for me, and I'll put the $1000 i saved to some other use.

Cheers and thanks for advice.
    Arron

Arron,
    I have had mine about 5 years and am very pleased with it. Sure there are better saws out there if you have the $s but I think this one is the best value for money bandsaw. If you tweek it up right and keep a sharp blade in it then it will serve you well.
    A couple of pics of the adjustable fence I made. The miter guage is the adjustable bit and you get zero clearance at the blade also.
    Have fun with it.
    Regards
    John
    Attached Images Attached Images

the Harvey brand is the best Chinese produced/owned brand, I have seen a few Chinese artisan uses it. Its not the most expensive band saw but it certainly is one of the best value for money.
    SCM L'Invincibile si X, SCM L'Invincibile S7, SCM TI 145EP, SCM Sandya Win 630, Masterwood OMB1V, Meber 600, Delta RJ42, Nederman S750, Chicago Pneumatics CPRS10500, Ceccato CDX12