Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: what welder

Default what welder

Hi Guys im interested in makeing a few things out of aluminium checker plate in 2.5 mm thick, my question is what sort of welder u would recomend MIG or Tig, i have some experiance with mig on steel but none with tig and what make would u recomend at about the $1500 mark cheers

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Default Welder

Don't know where you live in oz bloke, but some forum members on here swear by TokenTools, check out their website, you will need a Tig that does AC/DC for alloy. Think TokenTools are in Wagga, or near abouts.

DD

GordoB91 Guest

Tig is the go in that thickness range. When looking for a machine it must be acdc

Definitely TIG if you are restricted to only one welder.
    $1500 will definitely get you into something very workable along with a selection of consumables and an auto shield.
    In case you haven't already considered it, you will be needing a 15A power point to run your new toy.

thanks guys tig it is will let u know how i go

i would go with a MIG spool gun 2.5mm will be a piece of cake to weld, i welded 1.6mm with a cheap ebay MIG/spool gun on youtube done it very easy but the slightest gap between the two pieces being welded will blow a hole

i bought the LOTOS mig from ebay for $450 as a buy now price brand new came with a regulator and spool gun (compatible with lincoln) the seller list about 2 LOTOS MIG/spool gun welders a month on ebay

ive just uploaded 2 pictures of my 1.6mm spool gun welds and im only very basic welder just learning to weld

i spent over $600 on a TIG machine and it was nothing but a pain in the ass to use i never got the hang of it eventually selling it and loosing out on money i bought this welder

here is a video doing that 1.6mm aluminum weld so u can see it actually being welded

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJnM...lOHw65q9PUliCw
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default You can select one of the following machines: