Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I can see that tool as very useful for setting all of my spoke shaves.
    I can't appreciate seat-of-the-pants superiority.
    I demand absolutley reproducable results, it's far faster.
    After several km (2.7 miles) in birch, I've earned some convenience.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by auscab View Post
    yeah I know what you mean ,been doing the same thing , mainly by eye though.
    The numbers is what may be interesting . who knows ? I may need to describe it to someone a long way away ?

I had a very nice girl / woman come in one day and describe a coffee table she had seen and she wanted on made just like it , The dimensions she had made note of by using her leg for the height . I had to get down and measure the spot on her leg that she was pointing to with her Mum watching, me with a bit of a red face they were having a laugh and I thought it nice she didn't have a tape measure .

It got me thinking how I could take curves and shapes of My favorite lady and design a lovely shapely piece of love furniture with them . It never happened though . one day maybe !

Rob
    could be tricky. She'd have to be pushing for it. not you. May have to make a cast somehow. ?

I've tried without too much consideration, in my eagerness to make a chair more personal, to measure bum sizes etc. Occationally goes down the wrong way very quickly even though I was being quite sincere.

I think you'll have to be careful though writing freely this way on the internet, Rob.

I don't care cause I feel comfortable around people that speak freely, but there's plenty of vigilante types with computers, keen to black label, with nothing better to do.

To a lot of them, just a harmless flirt or joke….and being a dirty old man are the same thing. not even a fine line. Fool sensitivity. They don't seem to understand that their opinions are simply based only on when they entered the room.

As a consequence of some unconventional things I've said in the past I've been labeled very quickly as….

- a homosexual …… Not that there's anything wrong with that. But I'm not. But for quite a while I was given setup jobs where I would be drawn into a gay mens housees on some premise to do a job only to be introduced to their bedrooms. Hilarious really.

- a bigot or some kind of racist…… I'm actually the opposite. Actually grew up as the nerdy kid few wanted to be with. So I spent a lot of time with international students. Would defend them and loathed stupid racism.

- a peeve of young girls….. Actually have 3 daughters myself that I'm very protective of. I'm a man with natural attractions, but for women. And actually am very loyal to my wife.

- claims to be married but isn't. I just don't like to say 'partner'.

- an angry man that'll explode at any moment……. seldom if ever get angry like that. In fact my wife gets angry more often. In fact I'm too patient if anything

- a doll bludger…… I've been on the doll a couple of times in my life, but actually loath the thought of being anywhere near the place.

- an alchololic….. even though I seldom drink.

- a know it all. I'm not afraid to express my beliefs, but I'm not ever claiming to be an expert in anything.

etc etc etc etc etc. ….and then you'll get all the stupid over meddling attempts as a result….to fix you. convert you. save you. fBck you. heal you. or save your family against you. convert your family against you. attempts to destroy your business, because its empowering to be able to read into the apparent 'truth' on the internet unseen etc etc .

Just saying. Please be careful if you might be bothered by these things. some people really can be that stupid. (yes I can be stupid. But no where near that kind of stupid)

Quote Originally Posted by apricotripper View Post
    could be tricky. She'd have to be pushing for it. not you. May have to make a cast somehow. ?

I've tried without too much consideration, in my eagerness to make a chair more personal, to measure bum sizes etc. Occationally goes down the wrong way very quickly even though I was being quite sincere.

I think you'll have to be careful though writing freely this way on the internet, Rob.
    APT, Don't take it to seriously , please .
    I should have explained more clearly .When I said My favorite lady , I'm talking of the one I'm married to .
    Just a romantic idea.
    My one and only

Back on thread.
    In the light of another thread about woodworkers need vs wants for tools or not.
    Why is it that a digital gauge for woodworkers cost $20 but the same gauge for tyres only costs $5?
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/131093456490?lpid=100

There used to be a cartoon called Inspector Gadget. Well the character in that show was modelled on my father. He was the archetype Inspector Gadget. If he was not buying gadgets he was building them. And nothing was safe. If you gave him a cordless drill he would have it in bits to make an automatic door opener. Once the electricity went off for an hour and he filled the entire house with things to ensure that we always had lights. He is the most inventive man I have ever met. He was an antique clock restorer and our home was full of old clocks, clock parts and tools for building clocks. If he could not find a part he made it. And so I understand too well the desire for tool. It might be useful,or it might not but it might do something, anything, and that is enough.
    My age is still less than my number of posts

Quote Originally Posted by hiroller View Post
    ....Why is it that a digital gauge for woodworkers cost $20 but the same gauge for tyres only costs $5?
    It's called "What the market will bear", HR. Or maybe they can sell so many more tyre/caliper gauges that the slim margins pay....

Actually, when you pause to think about it, 20 bucks for a bit of kit as complex as a digital gauge is not terribly expensive. And I'd reckon a goodly slice of that could be eaten up by packaging, advertising & handling, etc. Which makes $5 absurd.

One thing is certain, this gauge has generated a good $20 worth of words, already, if you add up everyone's 2c worth!

Cheers,
    IW

Quote Originally Posted by IanW View Post
    One thing is certain, this gauge has generated a good $20 worth of words, already, if you add up everyone's 2c worth!

Cheers,

LOL it sure has.
    Sawdust Maker, Nick , gave me the best advise in post 2 when he told me to duck

It's not much but this has a magnetic base as well compared to the other one. so it's a little more expensive to make.

I do have a thing for such gadgets , I do hate having to buy the battery's , there is nothing I can do about that though.
    My first tool for dividing the millimeter onto 100ths was the dial caliper , I was told by other woodworkers at work '' You don't need that " It turned out to be one of the best things I ever bought .

Another linear scale digital readout I have still sits in its box waiting to be fitted to my thicknesser.

I bought a long 900 mm DRO Linear scale and fitted it to a crosscut sled for my table saw, It's main purpose was to cut the fret slots in a fret board spot on . It works well, It has only been used twice on fret boards so far and a while back I needed it to measure some critical distances for the making of a pair of twin quadrant fences for a Wadkin PK, yet to be completed.

And another digital depth gauge I bought to solve a problem calculating the depth of radius dishes I can now make, It didn't really work and sits in it's box , It proved I had to keep looking to solve that problem I went on experimenting and found a way to turn those dishes with varying radius's down to an accuracy within .05

I find you have to pay to find out and see for ones self.

Default Setting jointer knives

I wonder if it might not be a cheap option for setting jointer knives
    My age is still less than my number of posts

There is a video in the link showing it being used like that . It's not setting the knife to the head but the back table or both maybe ?
    Got to give it a go though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12