Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415 LastLast

Hello paul
    Thanks for turning the photos for me.
    I accidentally posted this thread here, it was meant to be in the Shed Build, but I guess I do spend a lot of time wood turning

I lived for 4 months in Dam Neck, Virginia many years ago, and did visit South Carolina a few times, especially Duke University and UNC, wow, a young Aussie Sailor at a Frat party in the US!!!!!
    Cheers
    Willy
    Last edited by Big Shed; 28th November 2015 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Threads merged

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

That is good news about the AC working so well.

I notice the the AC cool air exits come down quite low into the body of the shed.
    It would have been better in they were higher up so the resulting air flow could quickly scavenge a bit more dust from the shed air.

Nice set up there Willy. Pity about the stuffing around, that has to be done, after the so called experts do their job.
    A nice man cave for when retirement calls.
    To grow old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Quote Originally Posted by BobL View Post
    That is good news about the AC working so well.

I notice the the AC cool air exits come down quite low into the body of the shed.
    It would have been better in they were higher up so the resulting air flow could quickly scavenge a bit more dust from the shed air.
    Hello Bob
    The A/C has a dropper which comes down about 1800mm and then a plenum (3 way), this drop was to ensure good airflow, which may have been interrupted by the bottoms of the trusses. There will also be a Microlene fitted at the opposite end of the workshop area
    Cheers
    Willy
    Jarrahland

Default Some storage shelves for the shed

Good afternoon Ladies and Gentlemen,

The shed build has been been going very well so far, my back is improving heaps and I've been able to do a tonne of work. I had intended purchasing a compactus from gumtree to use for storage of tools, equipment and timber. Luckily, at work we had a heap of massive static frequency converters delivered in large timber framed boxes, this was supplied by contractors. They were offered to everyone at work, I thought I could use them as storage cabinets. These wooden boxes being free weren't ideal but certainly a lot cheaper than buying the compactus for about $800-1000 on gumtree. I grabbed three of them, they measure 2 m tall, 1200 wide and 900 ml deep. Luckily, I also have a friend who owns a skip bin business, he said there were some Benchtops that I might be able to use for shelving. I went to have a look at them they were almost brand-new sheets of MDF fibreboard I grabbed five. 👍

I bought some 50 x 75 pine boards and used these to support the shelves. Then I had my daughter paint the internals and externals just to brighten up a little bit and make things easier to see within the shelves as well as a more appealing appearance. I then assembled them and placed them in position around the workshop and screwed and glued them together. They appear to be remarkably robust I still have a heap of stuff to bring down to the workshop, at least now I've got a lot more storage area and I can start getting organised. Hopefully, I'll get 5 to 10 years worth out of them, they don't look the best but they are cheap and will do the job for the time being. 🙈

Now that I have some storage area, I can start organising the workshop. The next job will be to manufacture a workbench. 🔧🔩🔨
    Cheers,
    Willy
    Jarrahland 🌳
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ah to have organised space

Dave TTC
    Turning Wood Into Art

Nice work Willie, and the cost of it all can't be beaten, some $ for paint, result, a set up most of us could only dream of.
    Kryn
    To grow old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Default new workbench

Good evening ladies and gentlemen
    I finally got around to making my new workbench of manufactured from LVL beams either purchased from gumtree or I've been given by friends who are in the construction industry I've never use this before but I find extremely versatile very strong very easy to work wih.
    It took awhile but I fInally find some on gumtree and paid three dollars each for them I bought 22. 22 of them was about the limit for the roof rack on my Ute.

A couple of my friends have made similar workbenches in their workshops, so I based my design on theirs. Using my new mitre Saw and hundreds of 75 mil Square Drive wood screws and quite a few tubes of liquid Nails, I set to work. I am really enjoying using the workshop. I have moved a digital radio and fitted it with an ipod. I can now have all the Pink Floyd I can listen to, all in air conditioned comfort.
    Firstly, I cut, glued and screw some basic square frames together, then added the longer beams. I made the work slightly higher than most people would be happy with, but it really suits me as I am a reasonably tall fellow..
    Using the left over melamine laminated workbench tops, I glued and screwed them to the basic carcass. I also attached the carcass to the wall for rigidity, which it has achieved. I added a lower shelf to store tools and other items. Now I have a work bench, I can really steam on ahead as it gives me an area to spread out, place tools on and make real headway.
    the work bench measures approximately 5 meters long, 1 meter wide. I can't remember how high it was, but I reckon it is about 1.2 meters high.
    Wasn't quite sure if a router would give me a nice finish, so I tested a scrap piece for a bull nose finish, looked good. I then routed afull bull nose edge on the front and sides. Really happy with that result. I sanded it with 240 grit. Looks great!!
    Love the workbench

cheers
    willy
    jarrahland

Nice solid lookin benches

is your sparky friend still around? I've found that a power point (or two) along the front of the bench is rather handy
    regards
    Nick
    veni, vidi,
    tornavi
    Without wood it's just ...

Seeings as you are done there ....

Dave TTC
    Turning Wood Into Art

Quote Originally Posted by Sawdust Maker View Post
    Nice solid lookin benches

is your sparky friend still around? I've found that a power point (or two) along the front of the bench is rather handy
    Ahem, my Mum and Sister were in awe by the total number of power points throughout, that they decided to count them.

64 in Total.
    The workbench as 12 accessible outlets, I hope there is enough
    Cheers
    Willy

Quote Originally Posted by Willy Nelson View Post
    Ahem, my Mum and Sister were in awe by the total number of power points throughout, that they decided to count them.

64 in Total.
    The workbench as 12 accessible outlets, I hope there is enough
    Cheers
    Willy
    fair enough, I knew you had a fair few but I was really coming from the angle of being able to plug something in and not have the cord across the bench right where I want to work,
    I can see my family doing the same, almost a Monty Python sketch

fair e
    regards
    Nick
    veni, vidi,
    tornavi
    Without wood it's just ...

Willy copied the shed from the one behind here:

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...BkIQMwhBKA8wDw
    So much timber, so little time.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Paul39 View Post
    Willy copied the shed from the one behind here:

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...BkIQMwhBKA8wDw
    Ha ha
    That's not a shed. Well, it could be

Willy
    Jarrahland

Default nice racks

Good morning Ladies and Gentlemen
    I thought I had a heap of photos displaying the mayhem of my shed with huge piles of timber, slabs and turning blanks. I must of mislaid them them, you are just going to have to imagine a large pile of disorganised blanks, slabs and burls.

To organise them into some order, I used some more LVLs, laminated veneer lumber. I love these, they are 70 x 70 mm and 5 meters long. I bought these ones off gumtree for 5 dollars each, delivered. How cheap is that? So cheap, I decided to buy the lot, 34 of them, when I had worked out I only needed 15. I knew I could use more later.

first, I glued and screwed up the carcass, approximately one meter deep and 2 1/2 meters wide and 2.7 meters high. I used more LVLs as racks, to aid with the airing of wet timbers and avoid mould. This worked out to be unbelievably strong, robust and rigid. I did also attach it to the wall. All my slabs and blocks are now organised into species.

the next stage was to build racks for all my burl rounds. This was attached to the first rack for rigidity. This rack design was based upon my other similar steel rack, but made from LVLs . It is approximately 4 meters long and 2.7 meters high. I varied the heights of the racks with the intent of largest at the bottom, approximately 500 - 600 mm blanks, and the smaller blanks at the very top.

this rack worked perfectly, all joints glued and screwed and all racks weight tested prior to use, I climbed upon them. The LVLs barely deflect, but I have braced them up with heaps of screws and blocks. I imagine there is a lot of weight, but this thing is solid.

Next job, an LVLs based trolley to help me move timber with the lifting and carrying.
    thanks for looking

Sincerely
    Willy

Jarrahland