Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Chipper won't like anything that may have termites in it.
    The dirt & grit is no good for the machine.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Default Some older photos of the block

Ladies and Gentlemen
    I just found some older photos of the block taken from the upper, house block area. You can see the very large Tuart trees, piles of branches and leaves and smaller Casuarinas. The very large termite infested logs cannot be seen as they are under weeds, branches and other growth.

The shed will be built towards the back of the block. I hope to also have;
    1. Chook shed
    2. Firewood shed
    3. Outdoor carving area
    4. A burl blasting area
    5. Large garden and veggie patch
    6. ROOM!!!!!!!

Cheers
    Willy

Jarrahland
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Today

Hello All
    My son managed to get down to the block today and take more piccys. These show the pile of good fire wood, and piles of new branches, old branches and other stuff that needs burning. Interestingly, you may recall that I cut the termite infested logs two weeks ago. Most logs had a pipe up the middle and millions of termites. Most, I assume have died or been eaten. One log has been heavily sealed up and the colony lives on! Little buggers. The hole was opened right up, and there they were, industrious little fellows.

This weekend, I have a bunch of concretors down for some quotes. The slab will be 20 x 8 meters, with 100mm reinforced concrete. As the walls are single brick, the slab will be a simple slab, no footings. Can anyone with authority see any problems with this? The work shop will be 6 meters wide with a one meter veranda front and back
    Thanks
    Willy

Quote Originally Posted by Willy Nelson View Post
    ... The slab will be 20 x 8 meters, with 100mm reinforced concrete. As the walls are single brick, the slab will be a simple slab, no footings. Can anyone with authority see any problems with this?
    The slab will require edge thickening Willy, at least a 200 wide by 200 deep (overall), plus a 45 degree taper from the 200 deep to the 100 deep slab thickness. Throw a couple of y12s in the bottom of the thickening with cover. I'd also set the brickwork down by 50mm to minimise water ingress.

Cheers
    Neil

Are you using bricks or concrete blocks for the walls? I would think 20m of a single skin brick wouldn't cut it without piers to support it.

Quote Originally Posted by Willy Nelson View Post
    Hello All
    The slab will be 20 x 8 meters, with 100mm reinforced concrete. As the walls are single brick, the slab will be a simple slab, no footings. Can anyone with authority see any problems with this? The work shop will be 6 meters wide with a one meter veranda front and back
    Thanks
    Willy
    I am no authority but I would have some form of footings. I have a single brick garage wall (approx 10 metres) and it has two piers in it.
    Tom

"It's good enough" is low aim

Is there cut and fill involved in creating the building platform for the shed?

If cut and fill how much cut and how much fill?

What ever the load bearing strata in the cut area is, the fill area has to have the same load bearing strata ie. pier to strata level or increase depth of perimeter beam, but if cut is more than 400, you will need a drop edge beam.

As mentioned in another reply, rebate the perimeter by 120 wide and 80 deep for the brickwork or to suit an appropriate concrete block width.

The BCA sets out the required distances for control joints in brick and block work as well as size of engaged piers.

A slab that size requires tie beams in it and control joints.

From your postings so far, it would be very wise to consult a structural engineer otherwise you run the chance of compromising your shed and wasting a lot of money in rectification and since you are a pillar of society, you will be lodging the appropriate plans with council who will insist on engineer plans.
    The person who never made a mistake never made anything

Cheers
    Ray

20 x 6 is a good size. Personally I would use it as 18 x 8. You get 24 sqm 'free'. I have 12 x 12 for my w'shop and lots of pallet racking.
    Good; Fast; Cheap. Pick any two.

Default Plans

Hello Gents
    Thanks for the advice on the slab.

As a pillar of Society, I have submitted the plans and gained Planning Approval and also Building Approval, without engineering drawings (Council didn't require them), not sure what inference to draw there.

Anyway, I had 5 concretors turn up on the weekend for a site inspection and quote, and got 5 completely different perspectives and opinions.
    'Nah mate, no need for footings for a single brick wall' to Yep, where are your footings, gotta be 200 x 200' and expansion joints are a must, to nope, why you want them for?????

Anyway, at this stage, the older gentlemen who quoted the most, will supply the most and will likely get the job. I still have some research and one quote to come.

Bloody confusing
    Willy

A large shed like that and no structural drgs Here, anything over 10m2 requires them. The council may be taking the view that is your responsibility, theirs is only layout on property. You may want to check with your insurance company.

You should not need expansion joints provided the slab is finished and cured properly. Make sure they use the floated finish then helicopter on it, then if you do not want a smooth finish, apply a float or broom afterwards. Do not let them say floated finish only is fine without the helicopter. It also needs curing. These days spray curing compound is fine, check though, I have seen some using milk (ie stuff that looks like curing compound). Even with curing compound at this time of year, I would ensure it is covered with plastic to keep wind and rain off for at least a couple of weeks. You can walk on it the next day but keep the plastic on as it will stain easily, especially from muddy boots.
    Neil

Default A great Rainy day

Visited the block on Saturday as I had a thought. The slab will be 3 meters from a giant Tuart. So I measured the block and have applied for an amendment to the location of the slab. This will delay the project by 3-4 weeks, I guess, but it will mean that I can utilise the block better and move away from the Tuart, a protected tree.

Whilst visiting the block, I saw a 1.5 meter Dugite snake . My GOD it was fast!. He slithered away from me at an impressive rate of knots into the last area of the block which hasn't been slashed. Bugger.

So Sunday, Perth had some appalling weather planned, so I decided to slash the snake hiding area.....carefully. We also had a controlled burn in the 44 gallon drums. It rained the whole time 3-4 hours, but we got heaps done.
    Sincerely
    Willy

Default Change 1

Good Evening All

Well after I staked out the area where the shed would reside, I determined that a massive Marri tree was too close, so I decided to amend the building envelope vice removing the tree.

$500 later, it got approved, but I now have to re-do the plans and then apply for a building permit again, because I have moved the shed 3 meters to the East. The exact same shed which was already approved!!!

Oh well, $50 to the architect, more money to the shire and more delays.

The only other activity has been a couple of tip runs to remove the last of the tree trunks and vegetation which has accumulated over the years. All clear now
    Cheers
    Willy

Default Yaaaaaay and Noooo

Good Evening
    Yesterday, I received a Building permit Yaaaaaay, they accepted my change to the building envelope, which means I now have another 60 sqm of land available to me. It will also mean the shed is closer to the back of the block and receive a bit more shade and away from a massive tuart tree.

Unfortunately, I am renting this house out and the tenants have their mum and dad over for Christmas, their caravan is in the access way which means I cannot get a concrete truck down the back. We are experiencing cooler weather at the moment, which would be ideal for putting a slab down, but alas, I cannot. Guaranteed, once the van has moved, it will be 40 deg, which means I will have to wait and 4 months or so, Nooooooooooo

Willy
    Jarrahland

Gutted about the lost opportunity there!

Ah well, chill out with a rum and have a break over the holiday period. The crays are in season so you should be pretty busy most mornings now anyway...!

Surely you could ask them to move the van for a day or so?
    Neil

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast