Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Willy Nelson View Post

The roof trusses. Don't have the drawings with me, 19 trusses will be held down with threaded rod, the final three courses of bricks, I am close to the ocean, so high wind is a consideration
    Cheers

Willy
    Uh Oh, could I respectfully suggest very seriously that you talk to a practicing structural engineer about your hold down requirements for your roof, 3 courses doesn't come anywhere near the BCA minimum requirement and seeing as how your close to the sea, there are also specific requirements for the type of material and coatings for the hold downs. Also, your roof batten sizes, fixing method and batten spacing are affected.

You run the risk of losing your roof, contents and no insurance cover if the correct standards are not used.
    The person who never made a mistake never made anything

Cheers
    Ray

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Willy

Just seen this thread and it has been a delightful read. I am impressed by your light-hearted take on the trials and tribulations.

One thing that immediately stands out is the difference in regulations between the various states. I think that some people may not realise quite how different they are. Sometimes this is for good reason (eg cyclone proofing in QLD where it is a very real threat as you tend North in the state) and sometimes it is pure bureaucracy and revenue raising.

In NSW there were different regulations for sheds compared to habitable buildings (eg: deflection was permissible in roofing members) and if they were sufficiently far from a public road and under a particular floor area, they didn't need building permission.

However, I stress that common sense has to prevail and I would listen carefully to those with building and engineering experience to assess if their comment are applicable to your situation.

One of the problems is that building regulations are dynamic and constantly evolving. It makes life difficult. A friend who has just built his house near us had to change the exterior wall specs a couple of times because the insulation requirements had changed. I mention this only to indicate that nothing stays the same.

I think the finished shed will be wonderful, but agree with others that they are never big enough. My shed has been enlarged three times already and it hasn't been built yet .

One thing that does concern me it the length of your brick wall. Brick walls have considerable weight, but not much resistance to side forces. if you have ever seen old brick walls surrounding properties (not that common in Australia) they all had butresses at regular intervals. These were to prevent the wall from falling over.

To illustrate this, and I am not a gambling man (many other things but not gambling), if you built a freestanding 2.4m high wall 6m long I bet I could probably be able to go up to it and push it over. Put a wall either end at 90 degs and that is no longer possible. How long is your wall? 20m I think without looking back on six pages of posts. I think you should have at least six places along the length with thickening. It also gives extra support for your roof trusses.

While it is better to integrate the reinforcing points during the building I think they can be added retrospectively. Others will have to confirm that.

All in all a fabulous project: Very envious: Watching with interest.

Regards
    Paul
    Last edited by Bushmiller; 24th April 2015 at 09:10 PM. Reason: heaps of typos
    Bushmiller;

"Power tends to corrupt. Absolute power corrupts, absolutely!"

Default Good Points

Gents
    Thanks for your considered responses,
    Bushmiller, Glad you liked the thread, I have enjoyed it as well. It has also helped some friends and family keep abreast of how it is going.
    Anyhoo, I wholeheartedly agree with respect to a long span brick wall having very little resistance to side load, or being pushed over. What you can't see yet, is the two internal walls. One will be at approx 3 meters, then the next at 10 meters, the remaining wall will span 7 meters, off the top of my head. The shed was architecturally designed. The pillars will also assist with bracing, apparently.

Roof
    The roof trusses are designed by a CPEng structural engineer. I have the plans at work, but it it involves top caps, rivets, bolts and welding, all designed to (off the top of my head) grade 4 wind rating (or some WA standard). It was specced up due to the proximity to the coast. Mind you, the shed is in a very sheltered position. Oh NO, I am building a Sheltered Workshop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ha Ha
    I will email the truss plans and load them up, along with the building plans, if people want to see them.

Another piece of good news. My ute has spent it's life in the sun and is showing evidence of such. I have finally been granted approval to build a large carport\ pergola at the front of the house, awesome, starts in 2 weeks.
    Sincerely
    Willy

Jarrahland

Default Walls, windows, doors and power

Good Evening Ladies and Gentlemen

Awesome progress. I just need my camera back to post some photos

Anyhoo, had the sparky out for a quote, 80 meters of 16mm cable, nearly 30 GPOs, tons of lights, down lights etc, Not looking forward to his quote, but I gotta have power.

The bricky has fitted most door frames, the windows are about to go in in the next day or so and the walls are at full height, looks AWESOME. Can't wait to get in and make a mess.

To top it off, my pumpkins I planted are going crazy, probably wrong time of year, but I had them, so thought I would bung em in

Cheers
    Willy
    Jarrahland

What happened to the camera????? Did you loose it, or leave it somewhere?
    Kryn

Quote Originally Posted by KBs PensNmore View Post
    Kryn
    Dare I say "He took a selfie and blew the lens!"
    regards
    Nick
    veni, vidi,
    tornavi
    Without wood it's just ...

Quote Originally Posted by KBs PensNmore View Post
    Kryn
    Okay Okay.
    Last weekend, I went shooting and motorbikes and chopped some awesome Curly York Gum (will be in timber milling thread), I went with the usual crowd, plus his son. I took a heap of photos of them, and it was the best way to pass the photos on.
    Sorry

Default more progress

Crikeys, too much happening.
    Here are some photos from last week, looks good, just returned from the block tonight with the freshly returned camera, with flat batteries GRRRRRRRRR, will take some more photos tomorrow
    Anyhoo, Saturday, I have to raise the 220 kg lintel over the garage door, I will hire a genie lifter for that. Far safer than a heap of manky old men, with old knees and wearing crocks lifting on top of scaffolding then higher.
    I have to also drill the holes for the bolts. It will also be welded to some galv rod.

more photos to come
    Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Not enough bricks!!!!!!!!

Good Evening Ladies and Gentlemen
    Got a phone call from the bricky Monday, 'Willy, you didn't order enough bricks'.

Hmmm, the brick manufacturer was supplied with the plans and they did the calculations, not me. They reckon 7,500 will do the job. Nope, you need another 4000!!!!!! That's more than 50%
    So, I need 11032 brichs apparently. So everything is at a standstill until they arrive Friday.

Having said all that, the workshop is looking AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!

Willy
    Jarrahland

Default Brick calcs.

When I owner built my house, 55 bricks to the square metre was the calculation used, and I was pretty close at the end of the job, which used 29,000 bricks (double brick construction).
    You will have to make suitable allowances for windows and doors, plus extra for engaged piers etc,.

Let us know how your calculations compare with the brick supplier.

Good luck with the construction, I, like many, have serious shed envy.

Alan...
    Last edited by Uncle Al; 22nd May 2015 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Qty per sq mtr was wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Al View Post
    When I owner built my house, 55 bricks to the square metre was the calculation used, and I was pretty close at the end of the job, which used 29,000 bricks (double brick construction).
    You will have to make suitable allowances for windows and doors, plus extra for engaged piers etc,.

Let us know how your calculations compare with the brick supplier.

Good luck with the construction, I, like many, have serious shed envy.

Alan...
    49.5 per sq m to be exact + 5% wastage = 52 per sq m (industry std calcs for estimating)
    1.2 tonne brick sand per 1000 bricks
    24 (20kg) bags cement per 1000 bricks
    The person who never made a mistake never made anything

Cheers
    Ray

Quote Originally Posted by rwbuild View Post
    49.5 per sq m to be exact + 5% wastage = 52 per sq m (industry std calcs for estimating)
    1.2 tonne brick sand per 1000 bricks
    24 (20kg) bags cement per 1000 bricks
    Ah, probably explains the excess bricks I had to build the front fence.
    I wouldn't like to build a double brick house these days. I paid $280 per thousand nearly thirty years ago, I think bricks are around a dollar each these days. I had a good brickie, several tradies have remarked how square the window openings are or how neat the 'lines' are.

Alan...

Default Brickies are nearly finished

Well, it's all happening. yaaaaaayy

Brickies are on the home stretch now, one internal wall and the last of the double brick.
    I have to hire a genie lifter and lift the 6.6 meter garage lintel into place. My son and I hope to do this Friday after lunch, I will knock off a little early and hire the lifter.

The 19 steel trusses are almost completed and should be delivered soon. Trying to find an installer

The roof.
    I was looking into installing cool room type roof panels which are a skin of metal either side and insulation sandwiched in between. My roof, with the other bits and bobs would cost $19,000 or so. I decided it wasn't worth it and have now opted for a True Oak, in deep Ocean Blue, with 55mm Anticon underneath, some chicken wire will keep the anticon from sagging.

Sparky, the lecky installation is scheduled for a bout two weeks time, all going well, once the roof is on
    Crikeys, all getting exciting now
    Cheers
    Willy

Default 6.1 meter lintel- Lifted into place

Good Evening

The bricky was finally ready for me to lift the lintel into place, a mere 2.5 meters high and 225 kgs. He reckon 4 blokes no worries.
    I decided a genie lifter would be better, safer and easier.

I was smart (too smart as it it turns out). I thought, get my son to get the lifter, I would knock off early Friday and meet him on site. Between me and my son, we are both 100 kgs and 187 cm, so reasonably capable, plus the two brickies and the apprentice, between us, we should be able to lift it no probs.

Well, as it turns out, brickies aren't on site Whattttttttt!!!!

Oh well, have hired the lifter for a 1/2 day, $90, might as well have a crack. I did need to trim 300 mm of the steel lintel, down to 6.1 meters. My son was the spotter. Fired up the 9 1/2 angle grinder (my dad found this at the tip in about 1979, broken wire in the plug and still going strong today) so strong in fact, that the sparks set fire to my overalls, with me in them, burn't a hole I can put my fist through. Bugger

Long story short, after some heavy lifting and moving, got the lintel into the garage area, bit of problem solving, brainstorming, maneuvered it into position and lifted it. Sooooooooo Eeeeeeeasy. I did enjoy the mental and physical challenge and working with my son was also enjoyable, we make a good team.

Lowered it into place and all done in 1 1/2 hours
    The genie lifter was well worth the $90
    Cheers
    Willy
    jarrahland

and a couple more photos, not sure why the first one decided to rotate 90 degs

A couple of the photos depict the garage / storage area, then the work shop area and the smaller, double brick area is the wood turning area. Yet to brick is the dust extractor room which will exhaust dust immediately outside and down wind, I hope
    Cheers
    Willy
    Jarrahland

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast