Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

last photo from today
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

If you are ever in the dog house, at least you'll have somewhere decent to sleep, forgot to ask if you've bathroom facilities in there.
    Kryn

Quote Originally Posted by KBs PensNmore View Post
    If you are ever in the dog house, at least you'll have somewhere decent to sleep, forgot to ask if you've bathroom facilities in there.
    Kryn
    Eeeerrrrr, there will be a Lemon Tree nearby,

Should get some good lemons off that tree. So I'm told.
    Kryn

Quote Originally Posted by Willy Nelson View Post
    Eeeerrrrr, there will be a Lemon Tree nearby,
    That sounds like the "damn just thought of that"
    regards
    Nick
    veni, vidi,
    tornavi
    Without wood it's just ...

Default Oh Gosh, too much happening

Good Morning Ladies and Gentlemen

The last week has been frantic.

The bricky is nearly finished all the bricklaying, the dust extractor room (or Plant Room, as I know like to call it (will house the Dust extractor, compressor and High pressure blaster)) was the last wall to be completed. All that is remaining is the piers. I expect a rather large bill this week for the 11,000 bricks laid

I have been on the net, on the phone hounding mates looking for some one who can assemble and install the metal roof trusses. I thought I would be smart and try to find a person who can also install the metal roof sheets as well. I figure a metal truss guy would have the skill sets and tools to do both. Wrong. It seems as though they are poles apart, I don't understand why. I must have spoken to 30 odd people and all declined to do both, plus some of the quotes were ridiculous.
    I finally nailed down a guy who will do the lot, and start next week Yaaaay, although it puts some pressure on me to get a few other things sorted.
    Lastly, just got the quote back from a sparky for the wiring. I have delayed him, a mate from volleyball, until the roof is on, but I am under pressure to get the roof on and the sparky underway as he will reduce the quote if my son and I assist (we are both electrical trained). I am in a hurry for this as my son leaves for the Navy in a few weeks.
    Looks as though my cunning plan is coming together. I will take two week LSL from Monday, but also need to discuss this with my boss for the short notice request.

So, within the next weeks, should see a heap of progress, but also fork out for some big bills
    Cheers
    Willy

Default Last of the bricks, almost

0537. Woke up thinking about what needs to be done today and don't need to be on site for a couple of hours as we are expecting materials to arrive, so I thought I had better up date the shed progress. I will break it up to a couple of posts.

Firstly, these photos depict the last of the walls going up. The door frames are almost all installed. The photo with my son in the doorway is the main entrance. It will consist of external two doors of 720. The door to the right is into the wood turning room. The door frame is about 100mm shorter than normal. It is this reason that I was about to pick up 2x steel doors, mortise locks, frames and hinges and 1040 wide for $100. They were apparently worth $1500 each, but the guy who ordered it for a specific job got his numbers wrong, I picked these up months ago off Gumtree, Happy Days

Cheers
    Willy
    Jarrahland

Default Deliveries and materials

Further to my last, I have had all the roofing and trusses arrive. Due to the nature of my driveway to the workshop, most large deliveries and dropped up up the top near the house and I then transport/carry them down. The exception being the bricks, thank god

There are 18 trusses at 6500, 40 sheets of iron, 30 purlins, boxes of brackets and screws. Then there are dozens of steel beams and bits and bob, which I have no idea where they go

This takes a few days after work with my son and daughter assisting me, hard yakka and they have to be carried approximately 100 meters.

Aside from the this, I am also participating the Corporate Global Challenge (google this if you don't know what it is). Good thing all the carrying and walking is helping me keep up my steps up, on site, I manage 16-18000 steps per day. Bit hard on the old back and shoulder doing all the carrying, but I won't show weakness in front of these younger tradesmen. I have a few big days ahead of me, hope they last . Once I have a roof guy lined up, I may have to take some leave to assist and rush this through to get the roof on so that the sparky component can get done before the son leaves for the Navy.

Oh yeah, the delivery guys keep dropping stuff off in the MIDDLE of the driveway!!!!!!! I thought it would be obvious not to. I have had to get down there and quickly move things to allow tradies access. I have a truckload of mulch organised, for free, but he couldn't deliver it so I missed out.

Cheers
    Willy
    Jarrahland
    • File Type: jpg 1.JPG (48.7 KB, 40 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.JPG (46.6 KB, 38 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.JPG (51.4 KB, 41 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.JPG (56.7 KB, 40 views)

Willy, what are you going to do with all that spare time, once this is finished? Start another big project?
    Kryn
    Last edited by KBs PensNmore; 19th June 2015 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Spealing

Quote Originally Posted by KBs PensNmore View Post
    Willy, what are you going to do with all that spare time, once this is finished? Start another big project?
    Kryn
    Long way to go mate. I have to finish this shed, move all the gear and set it up, and move all the timber.
    Then I have a house to paint and move into, then paint the old house, crikeys, it never ends
    Cheers

Default Day 1- The erection of the Trusses

Well, after dozens of phonecalls and computer ads, I finally found a company which will erect the trusses and attach the anticon and sheeting. This was harder than I thought. I assumed that someone who worked with metal trusses would find attaching sheet iron to them would require similar skill sets. I was in a hurry to find someone, and settled with a couple of young fellows from SP Sheds (more on them later).

I finally nailed down a time for them to start. Due to the late notice, I had to then ring my boss and request two weeks Long Service Leave to assist with the roof and get other activities happening. Lucky he is understanding, so I am on two weeks LSL, yaaaaaay.

Wednesday, the young fellows, Steve and Leo arrived and straight into it, no mucking around. As they are the Pros, I would do as much of the labouring as I could to make it easier for them up on the ladders. I fetched tools, got coffees, passed up trusses, got screws, anything to help. The first few hours took a bit of nutting out and a few phone calls to the truss manufacturer (Frametec). Frametec were excellent, they fielded all phone calls and assisted whenever asked.Was buggered by the end of day one, but half the trusses are up and they feel very solid at this early stage. I was impressed with the Frametec product, as were the truss dudes.

Day one was quite wet and cold, with a forecast for similar weather.

Cheers
    Willy
    Jarrahland

Nice bit of overhang on the trusses.

Any work on roofing in the heat is uncomfortable in the least.
    Pat
    Work is a necessary evil to be avoided. Mark Twain

Default Day 2 Trusses completed

Good Evening Ladies and Gentlemen,
    Heaps of progress today, all the trusses are up, and rock solid. The truss guys have encountered a couple of issues, but have managed to solve them all. Their quality of work is excellent. Couple of young Kiwis. I have had to lay down some rules due to the their Kiwi background. They are BANNED from mentioning Bledisloe, the RL Anzac Test and the RL World cup.

Have also just determined that some roof materials have been omitted. Rang the company and they will do an extra run to produce the items required, happy days.

At the end of today, the roof is just getting more and more solid. I know the purloins are also required, plus the bracing, plus the sheets will also brace it up, man, it is not going anywhere, I hope
    Cheers
    Willy
    Jarrahland

Quote Originally Posted by Willy Nelson View Post
    ... Couple of young Kiwis. I have had to lay down some rules due to the their Kiwi background. They are BANNED from mentioning Bledisloe, the RL Anzac Test and the RL World cup.

But you can mention the cricket and the netball
    hang on don't mention the netball (they won the last world series 35 - 31)
    regards
    Nick
    veni, vidi,
    tornavi
    Without wood it's just ...

Default Wow, Photographic evidence that teenagers can work

Hello ladies and Gentlemen
    With all the shed building, the kids have been helping heaps, who would have thought . I also took a few photos as no one would believe me other wise.
    Willy
    • File Type: jpg d.JPG (34.1 KB, 85 views)
    • File Type: jpg f.JPG (39.8 KB, 54 views)
    • File Type: jpg t.JPG (45.0 KB, 64 views)

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast