Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

looking more like a house than a workshop mate
    Neil

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Default The roof goes on

Good Evening Ladies and Gentlemen

It has been a huge past couple of weeks and finally slowing down a bit, but heaps has been achieved. Despite my last post, my 18yo son has been a huge help, but more of that later.

Once all the trusses were up and secure, the top hats in place, it was time for the chicken wire to be attached. This will prevent the anticon from sagging. My job (one of them) was to cut it to length and pass it up and the young fellows from SP sheds attached it.
    We had some bad weather approaching, so it was decided to at least water proof the wood turning area and place all materials in there. The sheets are aproximately 4 meters long and require the top of the sheet to have the valleys bent up to prevent water being blown up under the ridge cap. This was new to me. Twas a big day to get to that stage, early starts, late days and lots of manual labour.
    More to come
    Cheers
    Willy
    Jarrahland
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.JPG (64.4 KB, 61 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.JPG (53.9 KB, 53 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.JPG (44.3 KB, 61 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.JPG (48.2 KB, 54 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.JPG (52.7 KB, 56 views)
    • File Type: jpg 6.JPG (46.3 KB, 61 views)

Default The roof goes on, and on

Good Morning Ladies and Gentlemen

Finally we had a break in the weather from the high winds and rain, to bitterly cold, well, bitterly cold for us here in WA at 3 deg

This was a huge day for me, we started early, I was on anticon duty, weather the sheets and carry the sheets and pass them up. My goal was to do all the monkey work and let the experts stick to the skilled aspect of the job. I fetched coffee, got lunch, supplied screws, charged batteries and did all the ground work whilst the guys were up on the roof. They did a fantastic job, was a pleasure working with two young professionals, despite their love of the All Blacks .

I am monitoring my steps and completed over 35,000 for the day, which doesn't truly reflect all the lifting and carrying I did on the day. I was exhausted.
    The last photo is of the young lads from SP Sheds here in WA, I cannot recommend them highly enough (I have no affliation with them, other than they did a fantastic job and would employ them again in a heartbeat)

Cheers
    Willy
    Jarahland
    • File Type: jpg 1.JPG (61.7 KB, 55 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.JPG (45.5 KB, 51 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.JPG (46.8 KB, 51 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.JPG (49.6 KB, 52 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.JPG (46.0 KB, 55 views)
    • File Type: jpg 6.JPG (38.0 KB, 49 views)
    • File Type: jpg 7.JPG (64.5 KB, 53 views)
    • File Type: jpg 8.JPG (60.8 KB, 62 views)
    • File Type: jpg 9.JPG (41.9 KB, 83 views)

looking good
    regards
    Nick
    veni, vidi,
    tornavi
    Without wood it's just ...

It's not looking good, it looks fantastic
    Kryn

Quote Originally Posted by KBs PensNmore View Post
    It's not looking good, it looks fantastic
    Kryn
    I stand corrected - it looks bluudy fantastic
    regards
    Nick
    veni, vidi,
    tornavi
    Without wood it's just ...

Post Trench works to rival Al Alemain

Good Evening Ladies and Gentlemen

Quick up date on Shed Operations.

Got an excavator dude in to dig the trench for the power. He got the job for a couple of reasons,
    1. He returned the call, all the rest didn't.
    2. He turned up on time for site inspection, on time.
    3. Gave a good quote, within the time frame I needed.

The excavator dude (Jeremy, in Secret Harbour) turned up at the allotted time with the cutest little excavator on a trailer. The excavator dude told me he had driven it through houses, quite a few apparently. He needs it for suburbs like Baldivas which is the norm now, quite small blocks and no side access. I was impressed, worked well and with 30 minutes, had dug the trench, with a slight meander after the sparky turned up. Yes, it does look like a dog leg, but the point of aim changed once we discussed the job a little more.

Whilst I had the trench dug, I thought I might as well run water and data as well. Not sure if I need data/phone, but whilst I have a hole, might as well run it for the cost of the cable.

I bought 50 meters of 25mm Blueline pipe and laid it in the trench which the sparky and my son did the power. The excavator dude was kind enough to stay around and back fill the trench for me. Was very decent of him, especially as it was not discussed and no additional charge.
    The last photo shows the power, water, and data cable leading up to the house

Happy days
    Willy
    Jarrahland
    • File Type: jpg 1.JPG (52.9 KB, 262 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.JPG (55.8 KB, 55 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.JPG (53.7 KB, 60 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.JPG (63.4 KB, 59 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.JPG (58.5 KB, 58 views)
    • File Type: jpg 6.JPG (61.7 KB, 57 views)
    • File Type: jpg 7.JPG (41.5 KB, 68 views)

Nice work with the motorized shovel, now I can see how he can drive it through houses. When I first read it, I'm thinking of the blokes who drive D9s etc. through the Ex-wife,s house. Saves a lot of back breaking work.
    Kryn

Nice work with the motorized shovel, now I can see how he can drive it through houses. When I first read it, I'm thinking of the blokes who drive D9s etc. through the Ex-wife,s house. Saves a lot of back breaking work.
    Kryn
    Yes, you are right. I did mean to add that you only need to dig a meter or so to realise the full value of powered earthmoving equipment.
    And yes, when I wrote that, I thought the same

Cheers
    Willy

Default We have the power.... and lights

Good Morning Ladies and Gentlemen

Another up date. Power and Lights

Woodturning area. Right or wrong, I am concerned about my activities causing a fire within the electrical ccts. I decided I would install weatherproof fittings throughout this area. Burl carving and turning creates a heap dust, so these fittings will be impervious to it. This area has 12 double outlets. May seem a lot but it will power 2 lathes, a dust extractor, compressor, a couple of grinders, lights, radio, drill and angle grinders, bandsaw. The compressor and the dust extractor are in their own little room (The Plant Room), and are plugged into a GPO which is controlled on the other side of the wall, saves me from walking around, essentially remote control. The ceiling is yet to be installed, hopefully this week. Lighting for this area will be weatherproof flueros with daylighlight tubes and some specific downlights.

Workshop area. 7 daylight flueros provide a ton of light. See the photo comparison of lights off and lights on, in daylight, should be awesome. As I get older and do finer woodwork, I have noticed that I need more light, so don't intend scrimping here. I have a basic idea of what I want to do with this area, and have installed 6 quad GPOs, as Jeremy Clarkson says 'POWER!!!!!'.
    I have installed a pendulum GPO in the middle of the workshop where I expect an island bench will be. Another in the trusses for the evaporative air conditioning, yet to be fitted.

Garage / Storage area. Straight forward here, a couple of quad GPOs and a GPO in the trusses for the electric garage door.

Outside. The outside has a number of waterproof external GPOs and floodlights. The sparky quoted the price based upon my sparky son assisting him, I also assisted, and he reduced the price further. I was impressed with the work my son did and he saved me some money for a change. Was good working with him.

Plant room. 2 general GPOs, no lights

Well, that's about all from, full of the flu, rolled my ankle playing beach volleyball and not doing to much at all and still on LSL

Cheers
    Willy
    Jarrahland
    • File Type: jpg 1.JPG (50.8 KB, 65 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.JPG (48.5 KB, 58 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.JPG (48.5 KB, 63 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.JPG (44.7 KB, 64 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.JPG (47.0 KB, 60 views)
    • File Type: jpg 6.JPG (48.9 KB, 56 views)
    • File Type: jpg 7.JPG (40.1 KB, 53 views)
    • File Type: jpg 8.JPG (51.5 KB, 59 views)
    • File Type: jpg 9.JPG (51.9 KB, 68 views)

With all the power points, where's the fridge and coffee/tea machine going to be? Don't forget to put in a water tank for the tea and coffee.
    Kryn

Why isn't there any bottom chord stiffeners on the trusses (90deg to span of trusses)
    The person who never made a mistake never made anything

Cheers
    Ray

With all the power points, where's the fridge and coffee/tea machine going to be? Don't forget to put in a water tank for the tea and coffee.
    Kryn
    Ahhhh yes, there will be an expresso machine and a bar fridge

Quote Originally Posted by rwbuild View Post
    Why isn't there any bottom chord stiffeners on the trusses (90deg to span of trusses)
    Not sure exactly what you mean, but this structure is unbelievably solid. The trusses are engineered

Thumbs up

Great setup there WN!!!

I would put bottom chord stiffeners in as suggested by RW. Makes a difference even if the structure is solid. The stiffeners take movement out of the trusses
    because you have them at right angles to the direction of the truss and they stop the trusses moving, and that is damned handy when you are putting up the ceiling.

I'm surprised that you were allowed to use the same trench for all three services.

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast