Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by artme View Post
    Great setup there WN!!!

I would put bottom chord stiffeners in as suggested by RW. Makes a difference even if the structure is solid. The stiffeners take movement out of the trusses
    because you have them at right angles to the direction of the truss and they stop the trusses moving, and that is damned handy when you are putting up the ceiling.

I'm surprised that you were allowed to use the same trench for all three services.
    Ahhh, yes, I know what you mean now. I am using the left over top hats (approximately 20 of them at 5.56 meters) as ceiling supports, they should brace it up nicely. In fact just had the garage door dude check out the shed for the fitting of the door. He was impressed with the accuracy of the brickwork, the location of the electrical work and the rigidity of the roof. He would like additional support for the sectional door and feels either patio tube, or the top hats would provide the required strength, happy days.

As for the services in the trench, the sparky stated that it is legal, with 100 mm separation and the addition of the DANGER Tape.

Cheers
    Willy

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Default Fiddly bits and bobs

Ladies and Gentlemen

Fair amount has happened in the last weeks or so.
    Firstly, one of the brickies has returned to the site as a ceilling fixer. I now have plasterboard ceiling in the wood turning area and the plant room. He has also installed a stud wall between the workshop and the garage area, on top of the brickwork up to the gabled ceiling. He also also closed in the gable ends.

I have sealed and painted most of these areas now with my daughter assisting.

The sparkie (delayed due to no ceiling) will be in to finish the LED downlights in the turning area. two directly over the big lathe, one directly over the small lathe, one over the bandsaw, one over the carving area and one in the middle. These are all on their own cct. Additionally, I have three double fluorescent fittings (weatherproof to avoid dust build up in them) with daylight tubes fitted. That should supply ample light to the turning area.

The Garage door should be installed next week as well. I have opted for two remotes, a wireless controller inside and a keypad outside, this should prove handy.

Next week the chippie will be along to install the 6 doors, internal and external. This will make the shed secure.

Cheers
    Willy

Jarrahland

Are you sure led down lights will be bright enough? I have a bank or 3 just 600mm above my lathe and it is not as good as i was expecting

Love the shed

As for the stiffeners. Like your roof purlins only on top of the bottom cord

Dave TTC
    Turning Wood Into Art

One question Willy, "Where's the pics"? You know "no pics, didn't happen"
    Kryn

Default Piccys and light

Gents
    Yes, I should have taken some piccys, will do soon.

Light, Mate I will have 2 LED downlights directly over the big lathe, these are mini suns, they are awesome, plus the three flueros, so I reckon I should have a tone of general light, and may need a directional light to assist. So in summary,6 downlights and three double Flueros fitted with daylight tubes in an area 18 sqm
    Cheers
    Willy

So are your flouro lights also LEDs? I just swapped all mine out to LEDs, simple wiring job, great instant light at half cost
    Neil

Default LED Fluerescents

Quote Originally Posted by dai sensei View Post
    So are your flouro lights also LEDs? I just swapped all mine out to LEDs, simple wiring job, great instant light at half cost
    Hello Neil
    Regrettably, no. I wasn't aware of LEDs for fluorescents. Bit late now, may look into again in a few years time.
    Cheers
    Willy

Default Stud walls

Good Morning
    The stud walls have all gone up. I have been under a bit of pressure to get them painted as the scoffolding was borrowed and the owner was keen to get it back. The last scaffolding was hired for $140 PW, this was free. It is aluminium, on wheels and can be wheeled through doorways. Made the job so easy . Daughter and I have given them all 3 coats of paint.

We also had to quickly paint the newly install ceiling in the wood turning area as the sparky was due back soon to install the lights (another post coming).

Anyhoo, here is a couple of photos of the finished walls. The ceiling guy suggested I add the stud wall between the garage and the workshop, I thought it was an excellent idea, glad I took his advice.

Cheers
    Willy
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Lights

Good Morning Ladies and Gentlemen
    Been a bit frantic lately making preparations for the next round of shed activities. This week, the sparky returned to install the fluorescent and LED down lights in the turning area, which is 3 meters wide and 6.5 meters long. The photo shows the lights off and then on, to hopefully demonstrate how bright these lights are, they are brilliant (Tee Hee, sparky joke there) . The three downlights on the left are where the two lathes will be placed.

Cheers
    Willy
    Jarrahland

Edit: The photo order was rearranged by the forum, now lights on then off, Grrrrrrrr
    Attached Images Attached Images

Willy, any plans of covering the bricks or painting them white?

It helps with light levels in the turning area.
    Pat
    Work is a necessary evil to be avoided. Mark Twain

Yes

Dave TTC
    Turning Wood Into Art

Default Painting Bricks

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    Willy, any plans of covering the bricks or painting them white?

It helps with light levels in the turning area.
    Hello mate
    Yes, I have pondered this for a while, my current wood turning area is painted white, and I have recommended it to many others. If I do it, I will need to do it soon.

The other thing I am yet to decide on is whether to seal or paint the concrete, or leave it as is.
    Anyone got an opinion on painting or sealing the floor and any recommend brands?
    Cheers
    Willy

Willy, I laid aircell insulation and particleboard flooring over my slab. On plain concrete my back goes into spasms in minutes, in my shed, 8 hours later no pain.

As my wife says,it's no wonder the shed is stable temperature wise, you insulated everything! (insert exasperated wife smiley here)
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    Willy, I laid aircell insulation and particleboard flooring over my slab. On plain concrete my back goes into spasms in minutes, in my shed, 8 hours later no pain.

As my wife says,it's no wonder the shed is stable temperature wise, you insulated everything! (insert exasperated wife smiley here)
    I feel your pain brother.
    I do use a rubber / foam mat which is superb. I contemplated putting a layer of it down, but it would be too hard to sweep out etc
    Cheers
    Willy

Willy, that's one reason I spent the time and money on laying the flooring, ease of cleaning and mainly to be able to enjoy my shed, not be limited to working in specific areas covered by anti fatigue matting or dragging them around the shed.

To me well worth the effort and expense, unless I win a lottery, it's the only shed I'll build and fit out.
    Pat