Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415 LastLast

That's been a great build. The separation of the turning area from the rest of the shed does look a little small but that's still quite an impressive area.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Default Wood turning area

Quote Originally Posted by Christos View Post
    That's been a great build. The separation of the turning area from the rest of the shed does look a little small but that's still quite an impressive area.
    Hello mate
    The wood turning area will be approximately 20 sqm. I currently operate in an area of 8 sqm, so from my point of view, that area will be massive. I deliberately don't want it too large as I am restricted by the length of my hose which supplies fresh air.

I am off crook, again with the sciatica, but the bricky has informed me that he has now completely finished. Yaaaaaaayyyyy

Once my back gets better, I have a heap of work ahead of me.

I was meant to fly out to Darwin this morning for the Australian Indoor Beach Volleyball Championships, (we have won the Over 45's for the last 3 years) but the back has failed me, NOT HAPPY

Cheers
    Willy

Nice "Shed" there Willy, looks more like a house. Hope the back gets better soon.
    Kryn

Quote Originally Posted by Willy Nelson View Post
    Once my back gets better, I have a heap of work ahead of me.

I was meant to fly out to Darwin this morning for the Australian Indoor Beach Volleyball Championships, (we have won the Over 45's for the last 3 years) but the back has failed me, NOT HAPPY

Cheers
    Willy
    bugger
    hope you get better quickly
    regards
    Nick
    veni, vidi,
    tornavi
    Without wood it's just ...

Hope you do feel better.

Okay okay
    I have been struck down with a crook back, probably coz I am an idiot and do tooooo much, but who doesn't? Not even playing volleyball at the moment , but hopefully soon

I have been back to work now for two weeks and getting back into the shed and making progress, piccys to come shortly.

Because the back is stuffed, some mates helped me move my rather substantial stock of burls and turning blanks. I must admit, there is a lot, like, really, a LOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have purchased some LVL beams cheaply and will make some timber drying racks shortly, once I unbox my new Mitre saw and learn how to operate it

I am getting quotes for an evaporative air system. This will be to provide a cool environment to work in during our hot Perth Summers, but it is also part of my dust management system.

Secondly, I have been looking for a 4 meter Compactus units on Gumtree for a while, I have seen them from $300-$2000. Anyhoo, I happened upon some very large wooden transport boxes. They are 720 deep, 2000 high and 1200 wide. I got 3 of them. The are manufactured from pine and a particle like board.
    I have some left over exterior white paint, so I decided to give them a coat, will fit shelves and join them up. They should be able to hold heaps of stuff. and will save money, plus I am re-using, recycling.

I have a powerpoint against one wall, so will cut a hole out of the back of the box. I will use this as a charging station for batteries etc.

I will also leave a large gap between two of the boxes and add some racking to hold odd or very large items such as chainsaws and the accompanying boxes.

Lastly, they will form an area to store long boards and slabs upright.

Avacados are growing really well now that summer is coming along. Got 6 of them. Will put in some mangoes, mulberry and macadamia soon, plus others. These are to form screens for noise and visual, plus hopefully get something to eat

One bad thing. Unfortunately the tenants at my block rang me up this week to say they had a Dugite snake in the yard and it has killed both their Staffy dogs. I feed quite bad about this, but nothing I can do except slash my block (which I have done from a fire point of view) and remove food and shelter which might harbour snakes.

Pity about the sciatica buggering you around but it sounds like you're coping with the important things! I hope Windy helped move some of that timber with you!

I can't say I agree with the evaporative cooling idea; that house in Rocky was the only one I've ever lived in the that had it and we hated the clamminess and potential for mould. Plus, I can't see how the moist air will help suppress the dust, although I expect Bobl can confirm or deny that the air will have sufficient moisture to drop out the finer particles. You've done a splendid job with the build so I'd have thought a small window aircon unit would have been sufficient for just the turning area which is where you're going to spend most of your time.

Hello Mate
    Nope, Windy did not help move wood, but he WILL help me move house

The Evap Air will push the dust out of the workshop and into the bush (part of an overall strategy). I am on independent air for breathing
    Cheers
    Willy
    Jarrahland

Quote Originally Posted by Willy Nelson View Post
    Hello Mate
    Nope, Windy did not help move wood, but he WILL help me move house

The Evap Air will push the dust out of the workshop and into the bush (part of an overall strategy). I am on independent air for breathing
    Cheers
    Willy
    Jarrahland
    We have a had a similar situation at the mens shed during the year while we are waiting for our cyclone to get setup.
    It makes little difference if we have the big Evap unit on or not - the following morning the inside of the shed is always covered in a layer of fine dust.
    Admittedly a dozen blokes will make a lot more dust than one bloke but depending on the work done the same thing happens even when we have 2-3 blokes turn up for a session.

In practice, relying on just pushing dust generated by woodworking gear out of a shed even with a big fan can be a bit like trying to herd cats.

What happens is that the fan will further stir up the fine dust that is being generate and also the dust that has settled out on surfaces and continually distribute it throughout the shed. Fine dust generated by a machine is generally warmer than surrounding air and rises to sit up near the roof. The cooler air that comes in from an evaporative unit does not push the warm air out of the shed like a bulldozer but falls down through the rising dust and then goes out the door and windows taking only sone of the dust with it.

An evaporative system will clear the shed eventually but it will take a lot longer than grabbing the majority of the dust at the source with a good dust extractor and venting that dust as soon as it is generated.
    This reduces the amount of residual dust that has to be removed by 2 or 3 orders of magnitude - then an evaporative air con does not have to run for too long to clear the shed to background levels.

In the case of fine dust removal, pushing clean air at a source is usually far less efficient than pulling the dirty air away immediately, pushing should only be used as a last resort.

Think of someone constantly peeing or worse in a swimming pool - its far more efficient to suck as much of the offensive material away from their immediate vicinity than squirting clean water at them and waiting for the pool filter to do its job.

Yep, dust as we all know is a problem but fine dust is the real problem.

I have been building a chest of drawers from recycled Kauri, Hoop, and Celery Top.
    With a sharp fine tooth blade on the saw table and judicious use of my belt sander
    I have created enough fine dust to cause me grave concern. The stuphph is everywhere!

I feel a tedious and long clean up coming on!

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Tiff View Post
    ! I hope Windy helped move some of that timber with you!

Forgot to mention, Nope Windy is too busy learning how to still catch Crayfish. 10 years now. The season was opened a month early again, and meant to be a cracker of a season.........................again!!!!!!!!
    Willy
    Jarrahland

Quote Originally Posted by BobL View Post
    We have a had a similar situation at the mens shed during the year while we are waiting for our cyclone to get setup.
    It makes little difference if we have the big Evap unit on or not - the following morning the inside of the shed is always covered in a layer of fine dust.
    Admittedly a dozen blokes will make a lot more dust than one bloke but depending on the work done the same thing happens even when we have 2-3 blokes turn up for a session.

In practice, relying on just pushing dust generated by woodworking gear out of a shed even with a big fan can be a bit like trying to herd cats.

What happens is that the fan will further stir up the fine dust that is being generate and also the dust that has settled out on surfaces and continually distribute it throughout the shed. Fine dust generated by a machine is generally warmer than surrounding air and rises to sit up near the roof. The cooler air that comes in from an evaporative unit does not push the warm air out of the shed like a bulldozer but falls down through the rising dust and then goes out the door and windows taking only sone of the dust with it.

An evaporative system will clear the shed eventually but it will take a lot longer than grabbing the majority of the dust at the source with a good dust extractor and venting that dust as soon as it is generated.
    This reduces the amount of residual dust that has to be removed by 2 or 3 orders of magnitude - then an evaporative air con does not have to run for too long to clear the shed to background levels.

In the case of fine dust removal, pushing clean air at a source is usually far less efficient than pulling the dirty air away immediately, pushing should only be used as a last resort.

Think of someone constantly peeing or worse in a swimming pool - its far more efficient to suck as much of the offensive material away from their immediate vicinity than squirting clean water at them and waiting for the pool filter to do its job.
    Sorry, I may not have made myself clear. The Evap system is but a small component of my overall dust management system. I rely heavily upon moving dust from West to East with Dust extractor(s) pulling, Evap pushing, plus natural seabreeze, cross ventilation, plus I am on an independant air system from upstream.
    Willy
    Jarrahland

I just read this thread from start to finish. Great shed Willy, looks fantastic. Well done.

Default How cool is this?

Good morning ladies and gentlemen
    I have somewhat remiss in posting photos of the shed build. I have had some huge changes and done a heap of work. I haven't posted for a while as my camera is broken, we have a new computer and I am not sure yet in picasa will work for me. I have borrowed my daughters IPad and am currently fumbling and bumbling through this post with it.
    I thought I would get an evaporative AC fitted prior to summer. I want AC fitted for two reasons.
    1. It will form part of my dust control strategy, and
    2. It will keep the shed cool. After spending all this money and effort, it makes sense to be able to use the shed regardless of the weather.

So, two weeks ago, it was installed. I decided to take the day off as well and build my timber racks ( I will post a thread on them as well soon). I had my sparky install the power point and RCD in anticipation of where the AC was to be installed. Anyhow, the installers turned up and promptly cut a hole in the roof. But in the wrong position! I looked at their instructions (wish they did!), and Lo and behold, the instructions were correct, in addition to the fact that I had told them where it was to go. Ggggrrrrrrrr
    Their response, Oh well, sparky problem now!

Well after the installers left, the plumber turned up, and did a reasonable job. He wanted to run the pipe the quickest route and ugliest route. I suggested a different route where the pipe is more hidden and looks better, in other words, you don't see as much of the pipe.

Sparky. The sparky turned up, he wasn't happy, as he had to do the wiring again. He then tried to start the AC. It wouldn't work. No water. We eventually found the problem and got water going, but as soon as it started, water poured everywhere, including back into the shed. Sparky tried to fix the leak but he then cross threaded the connections. 5 phone calls later, and it was decided that the plumber would have to come back, and the installers.
    Next day, plumber turned up, fixed his mistakes and sealed the roof to prevent rain water entering. I tested this later with a hose. All good.

So, the first Saturday after the AC was installed, we had a 36degree day. I got down to the shed about 1400 that arvo, and the shed was surprisingly cool. Although after working there for 1/2 an hour, I thought It was time for the AC as it was quite hot. The AC was awesome, the shed was so comfortable, that even on a 40 degree day, I reckon I will be working there in relative comfort, happy days.
    I will post some more soon
    Sincerely
    Willy
    Attached Images Attached Images

Willy,

I turned your photos and put them below.

What a wonderful shed. Nicer than my house.

I'm not sure I could survive your summers, we are just starting winter here. I'm hacking out bowl blanks and putting the off cuts into the boiler.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    So much timber, so little time.

Paul