Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Abranet

Default Abranet

Anyone here used Abranet pads for their pens, seen some positive feedback from overseas users, wondering how it compares with Micromesh.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

The micromesh I have is 1200-12,000 grit, while the abranet I have is 120-400grit. I think it goes up to 1000grit.

Abranet is really quick at removing material (in any grit), and love the long life the mesh provides but I'd say they're a different task (actual sanding) than what micromesh pads are (buffing/polishing).

I found a packet of Abranet pads in the back of the cupboard last week that came as a sample on the front of a magazine . The finest grit in the packet was 220, I gave it a try on a blank that needed the CA stripped off to refinish, it took the CA off really quickly, but left a lot of scratches to be sanded out, I normally use 400 W&D. A blast with compressed air and the pad looked like new again.
    I think it has a lot of potential, but I would like some finer grits if I was to keep using it.
    ​Brad.

Default Supplies

I'm getting 45m of Abranet in the next week. If anyone would like some then let me know. The grits are 180, 240, 320 and 400. It's 115mm wide and up to 10 metres long. It seems to last a long time. I've got some stuff that I bought with me from the UK five years ago and it's just about ready for the bin. It's definitely the best sandpaper I've used for wood turning. Ben

I have used this stuff for a few years ,and it lasts well ,only used as sandpaper in all the grits up to 600 , the dust goes through the holes in the abranet and can be used wet if required ,good for acrylics to keep the heat down finishing still needs the Micromesh for top finishes cheers ~ John (seems no aussie suppliers that I can find )
    G'day all !Enjoy your stay !!!

Quote Originally Posted by gawdelpus View Post
    seems no aussie suppliers that I can find
    John, you can buy them here, but they only sell in boxes so may be a club group buy could be done.

Peter.

Thanks for the replies. I seem to be going through sandpaper quickly these days and am considering an alternative to the Hermes cloth-backed stuff which is pretty good but doesn't last long when doing CA finishes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I seem to be going through sandpaper quickly these days and am considering an alternative to the Hermes cloth-backed stuff which is pretty good but doesn't last long when doing CA finishes.
    You do the sanding before applying the CA . You should only be doing micromesh sanding after applying the CA, with perhaps some xxxx steel wool to remove small ribs, not actual sand paper. If you are sanding your CA coating that much you are doing something wrong.

I have and use Abranet sandpaper, and there are similar products at Bunnies in the paint section, for sanding wet/green timber to avoid clogging.
    Neil

I worked for a shop fitting company a few years back, an there we used 320 & 400g velcro abranet pads to sand our 2 PAC painted items in between coats, awesome stuff especialy on something that was geeptting gloss top coat,

When the company hit the wall i ended up with about 30x400g pads, I use it on a lot of my turned items after my 400g sandpaper. I am down to probably my last 4-5 discs i cut to suit my little 50mm sanding pad drill attachment , so i have been trying to find more too..
    Cheers Ben

As a result of reading this thread I used some similar mesh, the mesh used for sanding Gyproc joints.

I used it on a bowl and must say it worked very well. I used it after 80 and 100 paper. It removed deeper scratches pretty well but then I had to go to the finer grits of paper.

I first saw Abranet used on a You Tube video somewhere. Must get some!

Quote Originally Posted by dai sensei View Post
    You do the sanding before applying the CA . You should only be doing micromesh sanding after applying the CA, with perhaps some xxxx steel wool to remove small ribs, not actual sand paper. If you are sanding your CA coating that much you are doing something wrong.

I have and use Abranet sandpaper, and there are similar products at Bunnies in the paint section, for sanding wet/green timber to avoid clogging.
    i use 400 grit to level the CA, hard to tell with MM if you've got even coverage.

just checked this stuff out online , and it looks zacly the same as stuff i was using in the 70s and later when i was sanding and polishing floors for a living . only back then the stuff we used was by 3M and called screenback discs.
    we used 18inch ones under floor polishing machines between coats of urathane finish .
    actualy i think i still have some and those ones that i think i have might be norton .
    johno
    'If the enemy is in range, so are you.'

Any more info on suppliers of this stuff?

I am after 150mm disks for wood *and* plaster. I use the sheets from Bunnings in a hand paddle on plaster and the stuff is magical. But Bunnings only carry the sheets not the disks.

Most of the online places want you to buy in bulk. B.C Coatings appear to allow a mixed order of 50 though which would probably be OK but anybody bought from them? What are their freight charges like?

John