Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Deck screws in hardwood

Hi,

I am trying to screw my deck boards onto hardwood joists. I have purchased 10 gauge 50 mm 304 stainless steel self drilling screws. When I screw then into the joists without a pilot hole I can get the screws in OK. Sometimes the screws do not self countersink properly and when I try and screw the screws out the shear off.

Is there anything that I can do to give me a second chance at getting the screws in. I have heard that one can put beeswax on the screws, is this something that I should be looking at doing?

I am also planning on two screws per board at each joist, is this overkill? would one screw sufice?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Most people will be nailing their deck down.
    If you want to screw down hardwood to hardwood, I think you will be pre drilling.
    probably best to get a pilot drill/counterbore/countersink.
    These have a replacebale drill up the middle with a counterbore/ countersink head. I have several in "vermont american"
    You will break a few drills up the middle.
    cheers
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.
    Abrasives can be just as dangerous as a blade.....and 10 times more painfull.

have had problems with S/S decking screws this year, had a big job where there was over $1000 in screws alone. We had to pre-drill and counter sink we got a drill bit that does both (Cab Tec has one for $50.00) or even most hardware have a cheap set for $10.00. NB get a few replacement drill bits that go in the counter sink bit as they all ways break.

Yes two fixings per board per joist or the decking will cup.

make sure that you get the right size - I ahve had problems with SS screws shearing off when screwing into hardwood. I sorted it out by moving up a size of pilot hole. No more shearing!

Trav
    Some days we are the flies; some days we are the windscreen

You can also try using a bar of handsoap.
    Simply run the thread of the screw along the soap, then drill into the pilot hole.
    The soap acts like a lubricant, makes for easier driving in + out.
    I have used the method when screwing jarrah together and it works quite well.

Hope this helps.
    Cheers
    Steve
    if you always do as you have always done, you will always get what you have always got

Ahh the old soap on the screw thing. This one turns up pretty regular and has done for many many years.
    It works, BUT.
    Saop isn't a particularly neutral thing & can cause a variety of problems under certain curcumstances the most common is corrosion of the fasteners. There are other suposed effects that can be argued all day but the corrosion is a dead cert. I know that the fasteners in this case are stainless but they are in timber exposed to the eliments and satinless is prety good ( I love stainless ) but it ain't completly corosion proof.
    If you get the right size pilot holes you should be fine. Lubricating screws is a slow thing to do if you have "a quantity" to put in.
    cheers
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.
    Abrasives can be just as dangerous as a blade.....and 10 times more painfull.